What's new

Getting into DIY (1 Viewer)

MikePenn

Auditioning
Okay, so I'm thinking of trying to build a set of speakers. I've never done anything like this before, and I don't have access to a lot of tools. I'd be willing to purchase some basics (ie soldering iron, wood glue, clamps, etc... maybe a dremel), but I live in an an apartment and am on a fixed budget, so I'm really limited in what I could get.
I'd also like the whole project to cost less than $200.
Is this possible? And what are the chances of me screwing things up and making a speaker that sounds terrible??
And, generally speaking do kits sound better than mass market stuff at an equivalent price (maybe I should just buy some jbl n26's?)?
I was looking at a the dayton br-1 kit at parts express. Any thoughts?
I also know that www.speakerpage.com has some well regarded kits - could they be constructed without a lot of expensive tools?
Any input/suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd look into buying a prefab cabinet and then putting in some drivers and assembling the crossover.

I think a simple 2-way speaker would be a good start, and should be easy with a little research or purchase of a DIY book.

An easier route would be to buy a kit and just do the assembly yourself. Partsexpress's shipping costs arn't cheap but I know they sell cabinets.

I doubt the speakers will turn out terrible as it'll more be a matter of them making sound or not. Just as long as you can follow directions and not try to jerry rig anything. I think a $200 budget on some 2-ways can easily yield speakers better than the n26. Of course there'll be a little labor and research involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks