What's new

Front, Center, Surround and Presence crossover settings (1 Viewer)

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
I’m curious to know if anyone has any suggestions on crossover setting for In-Wall speakers? Front, Rear, Center and presence. I have 8 inch, 2-way, in-wall fronts. 8 inch, 2 way, in-ceiling rear (I’ll soon have the same for presence.) Dual 5-1/4 in-wall center. Running off of Yamaha Rx-V683 receiver. I have two 10 inch Yamaha subwoofers my logic told me to turn the bass down a bit on the speakers. Not sure if that’s the correct thing to do but I did. I don’t have a ton of time to do my own tests on them individually cuz I’m in the middle of a DIY remodel. I do have time to watch a movie on occasion though. I currently have the center channel at 110hz. Fronts at 60hz. And rears at 80hz. Sounds pretty damn good with Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus. But can it sound better? Lol. The subs I have aren’t the greatest. Pretty good at the low lows. But tends to get throaty/farty with the punchier stuff. Maybe the 8 inch could pick some of that up. Thanks in advance.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Yamaha has YPAO auto-calibration, and it doesn't take very long, so I'd definitely give that a shot and see what it thinks. (My guess is that it's going to set the in-walls to large. If it does I'd push them back to small. But it's the crossover I'd want to see.)
I agree with you that your combination of large driver speakers and smaller subs puts you in a gray area. Usually in-walls have less bass than the comparable bookshelf/tower, but those are good sized in-walls.
Personally, I like what you have it set at now; although I'd try 80 for front L/R just for grins.

What size is your room? I ask just to say, have you considered upgrading the subs?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The subs are definitely a liability. Odds are they start to get sloppy if you set the crossover above 100Hz. Honestly, they're probably more accurately bass modules than subs, but they'll take some load off the receiver and other speakers. I tend to believe people set their crossover too low, however. I'd try setting the front speakers to 100Hz and see what you think. If you started noticing the subs sounding sloppy or just making their presence known, making sounds they shouldn't, or sounding fat, then maybe drop to 80Hz. There's no always a best option, but a set of compromises.

The fact is, the subs probably have little actual output below 30Hz, and crossing them over at 60Hz doesn't give them much range to work with.

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
The Yamaha has YPAO auto-calibration, and it doesn't take very long, so I'd definitely give that a shot and see what it thinks. (My guess is that it's going to set the in-walls to large. If it does I'd push them back to small. But it's the crossover I'd want to see.)
I agree with you that your combination of large driver speakers and smaller subs puts you in a gray area. Usually in-walls have less bass than the comparable bookshelf/tower, but those are good sized in-walls.
Personally, I like what you have it set at now; although I'd try 80 for front L/R just for grins.

What size is your room? I ask just to say, have you considered upgrading the subs?
Thanks AI. I did the YPAO setup. But it was when I only had one sub. And the room was laid out a little different. So I do need to do that again. The room is 18.5x19.5. 7 foot ceilings. Yes I have considered upgrading the subs. And will eventually. But probably gonna be a little while. I went against my gut and got these these very unremarkable Yamaha subs, instead of the Klipsch I actually wanted. Only $20 price difference, which wasn’t the reason I chose the Yamaha. But it is what it is for now I guess. My brother just got 2 of the Klipsch and said they sound amazing. I am considering snagging one of them at a time. And I know this goes against the grain a little bit, but would it still be beneficial if I got one Klipsch and used it with one of the Yamaha’s until I was ready to spring for the other? My first thought is yes. But from what I have researched on subs, you want either one single, or two of the same subs. Correct? I’m assuming that’s for phase cancellation reasons? Sorry, a bit off topic.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks AI. I did the YPAO setup. But it was when I only had one sub. And the room was laid out a little different. So I do need to do that again. The room is 18.5x19.5. 7 foot ceilings. Yes I have considered upgrading the subs. And will eventually. But probably gonna be a little while. I went against my gut and got these these very unremarkable Yamaha subs, instead of the Klipsch I actually wanted. Only $20 price difference, which wasn’t the reason I chose the Yamaha. But it is what it is for now I guess. My brother just got 2 of the Klipsch and said they sound amazing. I am considering snagging one of them at a time. And I know this goes against the grain a little bit, but would it still be beneficial if I got one Klipsch and used it with one of the Yamaha’s until I was ready to spring for the other? My first thought is yes. But from what I have researched on subs, you want either one single, or two of the same subs. Correct? I’m assuming that’s for phase cancellation reasons? Sorry, a bit off topic.
If you think Klipsch subs are amazing, you’ll be floored by any of the excellent internet direct brands.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No idea what that is. 😂
SVS
Hsu Research
Rythmik
PowerSound

Monoprice has the broadest range of Subs. All good in their price range, but you always get what you pay for.

Those are the major ones. Their starting price varies,but I think PowerSound has the most expensive starting point. In any case, the starting cost of any really good sub is about $500. The Monoprice 15" model for $300 really could break that rule.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm not a huge sub guy, so I'm not the best for advice in that area; but from what I understand I don't think it would be a problem upgrading one at a time.

I don't think Klipsch are considered bad subs, but there are a lot of internet direct companies that specialize in subs where you might do better. For what it's worth except for my first Harmaon/Kardon satellite & sub package I've only ever had Hsu subs and like them a lot.

18.5 x 19.5 x 7 is a decent sized room, so I would put subs on the upgrade list. But I don't think it's so big that you *have* to have two subs. I'd get a decent one and see how that plays out for you.

Reactions: iAM

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
SVS
Hsu Research
Rythmik
PowerSound

Monoprice has the broadest range of Subs. All good in their price range, but you always get what you pay for.

Those are the major ones. Their starting price varies,but I think PowerSound has the most expensive starting point. In any case, the starting cost of any really good sub is about $500. The Monoprice 15" model for $300 really could break that rule.
Wow!!! Monoprice can compete with Klipsch? That’s crazy to me! 😝 I’m not ultra schooled in the Home Theatre game. I’m a music producer so I’m familiar with sound quality, just on a different playing field. But I do know Monoprice, and Klipsch. But never would have thought there would be any way they could compete. But thank you for the info!! 💯

iAM

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
I'm not a huge sub guy, so I'm not the best for advice in that area; but from what I understand I don't think it would be a problem upgrading one at a time.

I don't think Klipsch are considered bad subs, but there are a lot of internet direct companies that specialize in subs where you might do better. For what it's worth except for my first Harmaon/Kardon satellite & sub package I've only ever had Hsu subs and like them a lot.

18.5 x 19.5 x 7 is a decent sized room, so I would put subs on the upgrade list. But I don't think it's so big that you *have* to have two subs. I'd get a decent one and see how that plays out for you.
I haven’t heard the Klipsch my brother has myself. But my brother has heard mine. And as a teenager was one of those guys who had HUGE bass in his car. I also was one of those guys for a time myself. I’m also a music producer. And have tens of thousands of dollars invested into that. But we both know big bass, and clean bass, when we hear it. And he is thoroughly impressed with the two 12 inch Klipsch subs he just got. I’ll hear them soon enough. But if there is something better I can get, even if just a single sub, I’m game. Thank you for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks