What's new

General question from newbie! (1 Viewer)

ceejaynj

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
A simple question...I have an hdtv, hd stb, Sony 5.1 amp, up-convert dvd player, VCR, and Infinity speakers (5 with no sw) as my equipment. I am in the process of making all the connections for my first true ht.

On my prior "system" (before I got my hdtv and Sony amp) , I had all my equipment connected to my non-hdtv, then connected the non-hdtv to my bookshelf stereo (video channel). This worked fine for me, since I don't use surround all the time.

In my Sony amp manual, it mentions that I can connect my equipment a few ways. I can connect my equipment to my hdtv, then connect my hdtv to my amp and apply amp effects to the audio from the tv...basically how I had it with my prior "system".

However, it also says I can connect all my equipment directly to the amp. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of either type of equipment connection?

Many thanks!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Charles, your question is frequently asked.

You want to use the second method and connect all of your equipment to your receiver using the best connection device your equipment can support. This way the best quality sound signal the medial source you are using will be sent from your receiver to your speakers and is the preferred installation method with modern equipment. In this method your TV is nothing more than a large monitor with one connection to your receiver and a lot less cables.

While the first method would work it's major draw back is the fact that the vast majority of HDTV's on the market today only pass multi channel sound when the TV's built in tuner is used for over air local broadcasts. In all other cases the TV only sends two channel stereo sound to your receiver regardless of connection type used.

ceejaynj

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
Thanks very much Bill! So does this mean if I connect all my equipment directly to my amp, that I will have to turn on the amp every time I watch TV to get TV audio???

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Yes the receiver (amp) must be turned on. But why on earth with the crappy speakers that come in today's flat panels would you not want to have the best sound all the time. I have 4 TV's in my home and they all have either a 5.1 or 2.1 speaker system connected to them and I cannot think of one time that I would not want to have them on. They even improve the clarity of speech on news and the weather channels.

You can program a universal remote to turn on your equipment as needed, or if your receiver has a switched 120 AC outlet you can plug your TV into that and it will come on when you turn the receiver on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks