What's new

Gaming and HDR monitors. Finally OLED. (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you’re treating TVs like an 10 year investment I can understand that. There’s no way you are going to see burn in during a 5-6 year lifespan on a modern panel tho. And if you are REALLY worried buy an extended warranty

Not nearly as expensive as I expected.
Exactly

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the concern of burn-in on OLED sets has been overblown. I've owned both plasmas and OLEDs only for the past 10 years and never suffered burn-in on any of them, and I've played countless hours of video games on them. Sometimes, under normal use, I've left static images on them for periods of time. I've never seen burn-in on any of them.

YANG

Screenwriter
I think the concern of burn-in on OLED sets has been overblown......
Heat generated by the Brightness tweaked by users have different levels of burns to the panel. even though OLED heat dissipating technique had improved, it is still subjected to burn marks.
LG's latest MLA-OLED had achieved 3000nits in peak brightness, but lets look into the reality that had any OLED displays used as commercial displays? that would be subjected to minimum 12hrs per day, 7days per week, 4weeks per month, 12months per year operation?
i wouldn't be surprised that ur acquisition of PLASMA or OLED displays would last u an average of 5yrs in the last 10yrs... if ur tweaking on brightness goes below factory default settings... my ex-boss PLASMA TV lasted 12yrs, before popping and burns to the board burst last year.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Announced on Monday. Ordered on Thursday. Arrived Saturday morning. Up and running Saturday afternoon. Yes I need to clean my desk. That grunge was behind the 42!
IMG_0623.jpeg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The other issue I need the OLED makers to sort out for my use case, since my PC is about 75% productivity, 25% gaming is the text display issue. Due to the the most common (current) pixel layouts on OLED monitors text looks blurrier than on a similarly spec'd LED monitors. Once they settle on a pixel layout that makes text look as good (or nearly) as an LED then i'll be able to jump in the OLED monitor pool with both feet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
2nd gen qdoled moved to a diamond pattern. It’s much better. Along with the heatsink I think it’s mostly good for all day productivity now. But don’t quote me on that

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll keep an eye out for those improvements. rtings does a pretty good job of showing the pixel patterns and its effect on text. I have a Samsung Neo G8 32" 4K 240hz LED for my current monitor. It's the best LED monitor I've ever owned, yeah it doesn't do the true blacks that I get on my LG C1 and C2 TVs, but it also does a good job of mitigating a lot of the traditional weaknesses of LED, and the text looks great when I'm working on it.

Once rtings starts reviewing more of the 2nd gen QD OLEDs I'll definitely take a close look at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks