What's new

Gamecube 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I figured out how GC will have 5.1 and I don't like it. They're going to use six channel analog outputs. Which sucks because I want to get a DVD audio player which will also require those inputs.
jeremy

LewisD

Grip
I don't think that would be very likely, unless a hybrid digital cable was packed-in with Rogue Leader(the only "5.1" game announced).
All of the Gamecube games recently released in Japan have support for Dolby Surround. I just recieved my imported Gamecube w/ Luigi's Mansion and Waverace last week, and both games sound downright amazing on my Dolby Pro Logic 2 reciever.
Most likely, Lucasarts has attained the rights to promote Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader as the first video game to have Dolby Pro Logic 2 support, providing "5.1" surround sound via stereo...

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
The lack of an optical or coaxial out has got to be the strangest decision Nintendo made - not sure why they would do that...
I agree that this is definitely DPL2; do yoou have a source or link supporting the 6 channel analog outputs?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
According to the stats @ nintendo.com the cube will have a digital out.........
Input/Output
Controller Port x4
Memory Card Slot x2
Analog AV Output x1
Digital AV Output x1
High-Speed Serial Port x2
High-speed Parallel Port x1

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
None of the cables currently offer digital audio though. The port is used for SVideo and Component.
------------------

LewisD

Grip
Having given this some thought, there IS a possible way Nintendo could add Dolby Digital support, but the negatives outweigh the positives....
Theory 1: GC developers could use software based decoding of DD5.1, and pack-in a hybrid 6-channel digital audio jack that would connect to the GC's Digital AV port.
NEGATIVES: GC mini DVDs only hold 1.4-1.9 gigs currently. Software decoding would have a major impact on processor power. In game audio-video lag is still a major hurdle. Component-video users are SOL because the component-video cable also connects to the Digital AV out.
Theory 2: GC developers could include uncompressed DD5.1 audio, and use a hybrid 6-channel digital audio jack to output to a reciever. In-game lag would be non existant.
NEGATIVES: Lack of storage space on the GC mini DVD format. Non compatibility for component-video users. Not all recievers have 6 channel input.
Basically, the only way Gamecube will have decent 5.1 is if developers design a game's audio with DPL2 in mind....

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
No matter how they do it, they are doing it. I just hope its not some slip of the tongue and its really just surround.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I think Nintendo is aiming more at the gaming crowd, rather then the Home Theater crowd. Including things like a hybrid 6 channel digital cable just doesn't seem like something they would do.
I think Nintendo will leave it up to developers to include DPL2 in the games, and worry about a digital audio output for their next system...once more people have a 5.1 setup in their homes.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
The newest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly clears this up and confirms our suspicions. It states that Rogue Leader will be the first video game to use "Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1. . . "
Guess I'll have to spring for that pre/pro now.
Brandon

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Damn! I really can't justify upgrading my receiver right now.
DPL2 is going to have to wait.
frown.gif

------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You don't NEED DPLII to play the game, so don't sweat it. It probably has Dolby Surround anyway, so at least you get that.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Is DPL II really worth it (in general). I have yet to feel an urge to replace my RX-V2095 (and the SO would kick my butt if I try doing it before next spring) but didn't know if people really thought it was that compelling (it's surely not as big an upgrade as DD vs. DPL was, right?)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is DPL II really worth it (in general).
I've got an Onkyo 696, which has DPLII. I like it quite a bit. I don't play my N64 games much anymore, but DPLII breathed new life into Rogue Squadron. It is sustantially better sounding than with DPL.
I would not be surprised if a game with sound mixed for DPLII was nearly indistinguishable from DD5.1. In other words, I expect Rogue Leader for the NGC to allow me to locate enemy TIEs by sound, since I can nearly do that now with Rogue Squadron on my N64.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Well EGM was correct. IGN Cube has Link Removed Rogue Leader is indeed the first game to run in Dolby Pro Logic II. IGN Cube has posted up their Link Removed of the games DPL 2 sound, and also an Link Removed .
------------------
[Edited last by Steven_V on September 27, 2001 at 03:47 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't see your point. Factor 5 made the sound in Rogue Squadron excellent and I can see them doing Rogue Leader even better, especially with DPLII. Considering that they can use Lucas' resources for anything they want, they will not be able to screw this up. People say that the first and second party developers for MS for the XB are being spoiled because they get whatever they want from MS, but Factor 5 is probably even more spoiled because they have the money AND the resources.
I doubt the 5.1 mix will suck, if thats what you're implying.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Something tells me that Factor 5 has never heard of the DVD format, thus have never heard a good 5.1 mix on DVD.
confused.gif

I don't see how that follows from the section quoted. The interviewee was referring to the earliest movies using DD, not the current state of the art movies. The comparison is to videogames, which are now in the infancy of discrete sound mixing; and the sound in games is still second string to the graphics.
Put another way, 3D graphics is now old-hat, but 3D sound is still being figured out with varying degrees of success.
Finally, I'd guess that creating a static DD mix a DVD is quite different than creating a dynamic DD mix for a game.
From what Factor Five did with DPL on the N64 in Rogue Squadron, I expect the sound in Rogue Leader to be very good -- the equal to a DD mix to the average gamer.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Something tells me that Factor 5 has never heard of the DVD format, thus have never heard a good 5.1 mix on DVD.
Jeremy, you must not forget that we are talking a dynamically generated sound environment here, i.e. right in the game, and not something pre-canned.
That's where Factor 5 says that DD in games will initially be less than earth-shattering, and they just might be right.
-Christian

Gary King

Second Unit
That's where Factor 5 says that DD in games will initially be less than earth-shattering, and they just might be right
Actually, Factor 5's original quote about real-time Dolby Digital was "overkill."
Turn up your sub on Halo, and the Earth might just shatter.
After you hear real-time Dolby Digital (especially with all the other whiz-bang effects the MCP throws in), you won't want to go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks