What's new

FS: Marantz VP12-S4 HD DLP projector. (1 Viewer)

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I'm selling my outstanding Marantz VP12-S4 High Definition DLP projector. It is the medium throw version of the unit and it has a black housing. The projector retails for $11,000.00. I have had the projector for about a year and it has approximately 400 hours on it and the bulb. The projector resides in a dedicated home theater set up and in a smoke free environment. The projector is sold AS-IS with no warranty expressed or implied by me.

I recently sent it back to Marantz to get the firmware upgrade, which is a $300 upgrade to the projector. This upgrade provided the following enhancements to this already outstanding projector:

No fringe effect (outlining of the screen)

Improved deinterlacing and scaling with a reduction of scaling artifacts.

Smoother motion.

Reduction in jagged edges from previous versions

More accurate scaling to different aspect ratios.

The capability of 1:1 picxel mapping for 720p native sources.

Upgrade stability of non-standard sources.

The following information is quoted from the Marantz website which you can view here: http://us.marantz.com/Products/503.asp and here: http://us.marantz.com/VP-12S4specsheet0506.pdf .

"Can anything be better than earlier projectors in our VP12S series? We think you’ll find the VP12S4 simply jaw-dropping. We began with the newest “Dark Chip 3” version of Texas Instruments’ DLP processor augmented by a seven-segment color wheel for minimal pixelization and better dither and video noise reduction. We added a new lens to the already legendary array of Konica-Minolta optics. And we improved flexibility by increasing vertical lens shift adjustments to allow more flexible mounting. But the crowning achievement is a completely new video processing engine co-developed by Marantz and Gennum. It is the most powerful video processor ever included in a consumer or professional video display device and offers true motion adaptive deinterlacing of all non-progressive sources – HD included – with inverse telecine (3:2 pulldown), jagged edge reduction circuitry, true 10 bit color depth (over 1 billion colors!) and a new level of installer flexibility. Until you’ve seen the VP12S4’s smoothness and film-like realism, you simply aren’t equipped to select a video projector.

After the continuing evolution and success of the VP-12 series, people were asking, “how much better can it possibly get?” Upon witnessing the VP-12S4, you will wonder how that could even be asked. The VP-12S4 will make your jaw drop with the smoothest, most seamless and lifelike image ever delivered from a single chip solid state video projector. First, we start with the already proven platform of Texas Instruments’HD2+ DLP® chipset. This year it has been improved by using their DarkChip 3 design, which tightens the space between the mirrors for even less pixelization than before. In addition this chipset operates at a higher speed, reducing dither noise in low light portions of the image. As in the previous generation, it also utilizes the seven segment color wheel which also aids in the reduction of temporal dithering. Then we add a new lens to the already legendary and award winning lineup of optics from Konica-Minolta. This new lens is a middle throw distance lens and fits comfortably between the original standard lens (now called the Short Throw) and the Long Throw lens. To improve flexibility we increased the amount of vertical lens shift for all three lenses to allow mounting as much as fifty percent of the screen height above the top of the viewable area. But the crowning achievement is a completely new video processing engine. This new processing chip was developed by Gennum® (specifically for the VP-12S4) and is the most powerful video processor ever included in a video display device—consumer or professional. It offers true motion adaptive deinterlacing of all non-progressive sources – HD included – with inverse telecine (3:2 pull down), jagged edge reduction circuitry, 4:4:4 processing at a true 10-bit color depth (over 1 billion colors displayed) and a new level of flexibility for the installer including sizing and blanking controls. In addition, this processor, being fully programmable, can be changed as needs arise. For example, we have already issued an upgrade with more finely tuned scaling coefficients, improving an already amazing processor to a whole new level. This level of smoothness and film-like realism has been previously reserved for professional 3-chip type devices and of course, film.

• Texas Instruments DLP™ Technology
• High Definition 720p DarkChip3 DMD™ Chipset
• New High-Fidelity Video Processing Engine by GENNUM®
• GENNUM® GF9350 VXP™ Technology is Composed by 4 Major
Functions,
- TruMotionHD™: Deinterlacing Technology for Full HD Signal
- FineEdge™: Adaptive Edge Correction/Enhancement
Technology
- Reality Expansion™: Advanced Color/Resolution Reproduction
Technology by Full 10-Bit Processing and 4:4:4 Sampling
- FidelityEngine™: Noise Reduction and Image Enhancement
Technology
• Newly Developed Custom Optics by Konica-Minolta with Three
Lens Options
• Larger Vertical Lens Shift to a Max of 50% of Screen Height Above
the Screen
• Exclusive O.R.C.A.™ Color Corrected Light Source
• >4500:1 Contrast Ratio
• >700 ANSI Lumens Brightness
• Brightness Uniformity: 90%
• 2 HDMI Inputs
• Adjustable Iris
• Sealed Optical Path
• No Light Leakage (Double Sealed Cabinet Structure)
• Extremely Quiet (Noise Canceling Construction, Sealed Color
Wheel Motor)
• Vertical Keystone Correction
• NTSC, PAL, SECAM, and ATSC Compatible
• VGA to SXGA PC Signal Compatible
• 5 Gamma Selections
• Auto Color Temperature Calibration System
• 18 Picture Memories
• Black Level Selection
• 2 Multi-scan Component Inputs
• RS232C Terminal for System Control
• 2 DC Triggers Outputs
• D-BUS Remote Connection (3.5mm Mini-jack)
• Illuminated I/O Terminal Panel
• Backlit Device Remote"

The projector has gotten numerous positive reviews which I suggest you read here: http://www.ultimateavmag.com/videopr...ntz/index.html

And another one here: http://us.marantz.com/Marantz_VP-12S4_AVR_review.pdf

Other information about this item:

- Again, the projector is sold AS IS. Marantz service center did a full check of the projector when it was back for the upgrade last month and it works perfectly.

- Also included is the remote control, power cord, and another wire to hook up to trigger an automatic screen. The mount for the projector is NOT INCLUDED, but you can buy one from Marantz or other online sources.

- Gregg Loewen of Lion AV calibrated the projector in July, so this is an added $400 value.

SOLD as of 8/23/07.

Feel free to email me with any questions. I have over 250 positive feedbacks on eBay if you would like references.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Third price drop. I may also be able to add in an ISF calibration as part of the deal. Contact me and we'll see what we can work out.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Price dropped to $3500 and that includes the calibration which was done by HTF's own Gregg Loewen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks