What's new

Frustrated with rim cracks: my discs are dying. (1 Viewer)

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator

I suppose I have become a bit paranoid from my experience with the cracked Star Trek DVD's.

When I get a new DVD. I have to check the disc straight away and make sure the case is ok and doesn't grip the disc too tight. I can't leave the DVD in its shrinkwrap waiting to be watched.

I also don't buy any DVD's with the same style packaging as the Star Treks (uses digistacks) unless I can come up with my own alternative packaging. I haven't bought Voyager, TOS or Enterprise yet as I need to know what to do with the discs.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

Surprised by this. I've tended to regard Alpha cases as the most disc-friendly cases out there. The disc spins freely in the keepcase when keepcase is shaken, and a pinch of the spindles and the disc comes out with no friction at the hub.

The stress and the recoil of the Amaray spindles when a disc is reinserted has cracked some of my discs, which is why I why I've sworn off Amarays, but Alpha cases cracking discs is a new one on me.

Maybe as you say it was a malformed spindle.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
The only disc I've had a problem with so far (my collection is of about 150 discs) is The Birdcage. The first copy I bought had a crack in it when opened, so I returned it. The second copy looked fine, and then within 2 days had formed a crack. And then half of the inner rim smashed apart, leaving the disc completely unplayable (it would definitely damage the player if I tried to use it...) After reading his thread, I'm really paranoid, and am going to check every disc I own tonight.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
Over 1,500 dvds and no cracks. I have however opened NEW dvds and before removing the disc...saw hairline cracks around the inner circle. I always look at this part of the disc before removing for the first time. Just like delamination....some cracks are born bad at the plant. We don't look...we pry out....we break. Actually, they break.:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks