What's new

One of my DVDs has just died... (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've had a disc come up with at least one unplayable episode in my Star Trek S1 DVD set - the first one in the clamshell holders that look like tricorders. That was a shock. The affected disc looks pristine, I cleaned it to be sure, but it still refused to play the episode I wanted to watch most.

I've not watched Get Smart since I purchased the set (around 2010?) but Leo's experience has me concerned and wanting to give it a viewing just in case.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm hesitant to comment on this thread because I'm afraid I'm going to jinx myself.

But I've had pretty good luck with DVDs. I think once or twice I got a defective disc when I bought it (out of 1000 or so discs), but that's still not bad. The only discs I have that have developed problems that I know of are a couple of the DVD-18s from "West Wing" seasons 1-3... I think there are skips on about 3 or 4 episodes (out of a total of about 70 episodes from that time period). I've also loaned out the discs previously to my dad and my brother who don't have the best reputation for caring for my stuff, so it's entirely possible that one of them accidentally damaged them rather than it being a fault of the disc itself.

I've recently purchased a bunch of DVD-R titles from Warner Archive. I hope those hold up long term. I've got homemade DVD-Rs from ten years ago or longer that play fine, so I'm hopeful.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I've had a disc come up with at least one unplayable episode in my Star Trek S1 DVD set - the first one in the clamshell holders that look like tricorders. That was a shock. The affected disc looks pristine, I cleaned it to be sure, but it still refused to play the episode I wanted to watch most.

Is that the first Star Trek TOS Remastered release? (It sounds like it could be based on your description.) That first season release was initially designed to have a HD-DVD copy on one side and a DVD copy on the other. HD-DVD was killed within about a month of the release and many of those discs were repackaged as just a DVD release. That could (possibly) account for the failure. If it says "Remastered DVD Release"; has no artwork on either side of the disc; and the only identification is on the disc hub ring with verbiage like "Star Trek the Original Series DVD, Season 1, Disc 1" then that's what you have.

Of course, the initial (not Remastered) Star Trek Season sets were also packaged in a funky clamshell, but had artwork on the discs with the names of the individual episodes contained on the disc identified. When I repurchased the series on BD, I decided to keep this initial DVD release, but I haven't cracked it open since. Is this the release you're referring to and, if so, could you please identify the ep you couldn't play?

Thanks!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'll add a BBC series disc that I've had since 2005. Played fine the first time we watched the set 10 years ago. Recently watched the set again and a 15 minute segment in one of the episodes would not play. Everything else on the disc played fine. At the spot, the image freezes while the player attempts to correct, but ends up skipping ahead 15 minutes. There is no visible damage or discoloration. Cleaning did not help. Can't imagine what happened while it was sitting in its case inside the box on a shelf for 10 years out of sunlight in a cool room. Makes you wonder how long any of them will last intact.:unsure:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Happened with some of my Get Smart DVD's in my complete series set. For all of season 4's discs, 1 layer is intact and perfectly readable while the 2nd layer is failing and in some instances, can't be read at all on the worst couple of disc.

Haven't gotten up the nerve to view season 5 yet and wonder what's happened to seasons 1-3 since I hit this stumbling block with season 4 a year ago when I was in the mood to view the whole series.

It was fine with zero issues when I first got it back around 2008 or so and I tried them on my many DVD drives to confirm that it wasn't a failing DVD player, so it was definitely disc rot with one of the layers.

Uh oh. I left off in season 4 about 18 months ago, and I haven't watched any of season 5 yet. I'll be checking all of them this weekend.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'll add a BBC series disc that I've had since 2005. Played fine the first time we watched the set 10 years ago. Recently watched the set again and a 15 minute segment in one of the episodes would not play. Everything else on the disc played fine. At the spot, the image freezes while the player attempts to correct, but ends up skipping ahead 15 minutes. There is no visible damage or discoloration. Cleaning did not help. Can't imagine what happened while it was sitting in its case inside the box on a shelf for 10 years out of sunlight in a cool room. Makes you wonder how long any of them will last intact.:unsure:

That's pretty much what happened to my DVD of On An Island With You. The beginning and end of the film still play fine but about ten minutes in the middle now refuse to play. It's the only disc I've had this experience with. (I've bought a replacement disc). I've had one DVD-R from Warner Archive which was faulty from day one, and that's my sum total of bad experiences.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Uh oh. I left off in season 4 about 18 months ago, and I haven't watched any of season 5 yet. I'll be checking all of them this weekend.

I have the subsequent release if it's of any help. Going off memory without double checking is just now, Time Life had a period of exclusivity for a couple of years which was followed by a wide release published by HBO. I have the HBO distributed version of the complete series set.

They at least sounded willing to replace discs when I contacted them last fall, but it got put on the back burner for a few reasons and I've yet to get around to it. I could always just replace these discs myself since I think the standalone season sets are reasonably priced and still available, but sadly, the bonus disc is affected too. And the standalone season set didn't include the bonus content as I recall (I probably won't ever rewatch the bonus discs, but I'd still want it fixed).

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I have the subsequent release if it's of any help. Going off memory without double checking is just now, Time Life had a period of exclusivity for a couple of years which was followed by a wide release published by HBO. I have the HBO distributed version of the complete series set.

They at least sounded willing to replace discs when I contacted them last fall, but it got put on the back burner for a few reasons and I've yet to get around to it. I could always just replace these discs myself since I think the standalone season sets are reasonably priced and still available, but sadly, the bonus disc is affected too. And the standalone season set didn't include the bonus content as I recall (I probably won't ever rewatch the bonus discs, but I'd still want it fixed).

I'm still checking season 4, but so far no issues. I, also, have the HBO Complete Series.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The regular "Get Smart" sets can usually be had on Amazon for $10 or thereabouts - but, as has been mentioned, they don't come with the bonus 5th discs.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Try getting your disc resurfaced. Used video game stores, and video rental places usually charge a buck or two.
I had a flawless disc that worked fine for years before die on me. I had nothing to lose so I had it buffed out, and presto, it worked again.
If that doesn't work buy a new copy of your movie.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Try getting your disc resurfaced. Used video game stores, and video rental places usually charge a buck or two.
I had a flawless disc that worked fine for years before die on me. I had nothing to lose so I had it buffed out, and presto, it worked again.
If that doesn't work buy a new copy of your movie.
I have a second copy of the movie in question ("Star!") but I'll use your advice in case this problem occurs again.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I had disc failure W/ Vertigo, worked find the frstthen then about a year ago I tried to play it,no go took it to B.B they tested it W/DVD and a PC drive. says no disc on all units! They had no stock so they gave me about 30.00... Also I had My Fair Lady ( WB ) It never Played even once. Isent away 4 the service manual. I put it in service mode the list popped up I saw a line that read align the laser it did that Lady played !!! Only I had to do it every time 4 Lady.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks