What's new

Blu-ray rot on many of my Blu-ray discs (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I haven't (with the caveat that I haven't seen every season yet).

Thank you for the response - this is good to know.

Using a magnifying glass, look at the rim of the hub , is the IFPI code start with a 2F ?
Good question. I just looked at this, and the IFPI code is "L322". It definitely is not "2F". Note this is on one of the disks that doesn't work (haven't looked at all of the disks, however).

Is the absence or presence of "2F" significant in regards to these X-files Blu disks degrading/not degrading?! Thanks in advance for any info. on this.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Sorry I meant the mould code that’s stamped into the polycarbonate ring, not the mastering code
IMG_4480.jpeg

willyTass

Supporting Actor
mastering code L332 is USA and the mould code should be IFPI OW but I can’t find which plant that was , IFPI 2u was Cinram Olyphant but never worked out who OW was .

Here is a list of mould codes and mastering codes from replicators world wide, most of which are now extinct.

ive been collecting blu ray discs since 2006

only 3 of my blu ray discs rotted thus far out of over 1000. All my Warner HD-dvd discs rotted but Cinram was a dodgy company sacked by Warner for poor quality control. There’s threads on this forum here about Warner dvd’s rotting Pressed in Cinram .

if you have a backup , say, a USA blu ray pressing, a Japanese blu ray pressing or a European blu ray pressing , you’ll always have a playable disc

probablity of 2 blu ray discs rotting from 2 different plants on either side of the world is very remote

but with this disc format, rot is impossible.

also because of Japans tax laws, where records are needed for 100 years, Pioneer Japan has invented 100 year burnable discs , more reliable than M Disc

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
mastering code L332 is USA and the mould code should be IFPI OW but I can’t find which plant that was , IFPI 2u was Cinram Olyphant but never worked out who OW was .

It is easy to get OW confused with QW, due to how tiny the stamps are in the first transparent inner ring.

IFPI QW** is the old Sony DADC plant in Terra Haute, Indiana. IIRC, cd/dvd/bluray manufacturing was discontinued in 2018. Sony released titles and their other then-current customers for disc manufacturing, were sent to Technicolor's Mexico plant. (Sony's titles on dvd/bluray released after mid-2018 or so, will have IFPI KK**).

For several years afterward, this plant was purportedly still used for manufacturing sony playstation discs which was finally closed down last year. No idea what this Terre Haute operation is doing nowadays.

In terms of disc reliability, IFPI QW** was one of the more reliable manufacturing plants for dvd/bluray. (Dunno about the laserdiscs manufactured there in the 1990s).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
All my Warner HD-dvd discs rotted but Cinram was a dodgy company sacked by Warner for poor quality control. There’s threads on this forum here about Warner dvd’s rotting Pressed in Cinram .

Cinram might have been more dodgy than one can imagine.

During the mid -> late 2000s, there were tons of Warner released dvds flooding dollar/discount shops which were suppose to be destroyed likely for tax writeoff reasons. In spite of the contractor (Cinram) sending back official paperwork stating that such old inventory was destroyed, it turned out all that old inventory was covertly taken out the back door and resold on the secondary market of dollar/discount stores (such as "Big Lots"). The company (IWMB) which was suppose to do this destruction + disposal of old inventory, was a Cinram subcontractor.

Not surprising that Warner changed its disc manufacturer to Technicolor Mexico (IFPI KK**) in 2010, after this Cinram/IWMB back door fallout. Eventually Cinram was gobbled up by Technicolor in 2015, and moving some equipment around.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
...also because of Japans tax laws, where records are needed for 100 years, Pioneer Japan has invented 100 year burnable discs , more reliable than M Disc
Ooo, that's a bold claim :)

I think I'm okay with my CDs. The highway containing the pits is a mile wide compared to Blu-rays, there must be a big margin for error. I had a couple that bronzed over, but I understand that was a manufacturing fault. I still have a few that I bought back in 1984 & they look & play like new.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Hey everyone- I appreciate all of the informative feedback/info. I've got several other things I can try re: trouble-shooting this issue, notably:

1) Seeing if I need to do any firmware?! updates re: my player. This is an older player & it's not connected to the Internet, but I can connect this & see if I can pull up any updates. Note I have done firmware updates in the past & it hasn't helped at all. But, it won't hurt to try - at the least, it shouldn't hurt anything.

2) Seeing if I can play these same faulty X-files disks on another Blu player. As I said in my original post on this subject, I don't think my Blu player is the culprit here because all of the other Blu disks I've played (after the issues with the X-files disks) have worked perfectly. But, it wouldn't hurt to try this - just to make sure.

2) Also, I may get another X-files S01 on Blu set (or borrow this) & then test all of the disks on my player - just to see if they work.

I do agree it's unusual for all of these X-files Blu's to have these issues where they don't work at all. I've noticed this with regular DVD's, but have never had the issue before with any Blu's - prior to these X-files disks.

Last edited:

BillChip

Auditioning
Real Name
William Chipman
So, I tried a few more.
Unheard Music BD had many black frames and some white noise in the video, audio was just fine. Disk continues to play through the problems.
Then tried SRV at El Macombo DVD. Still a few black frames, but audio was great.

Also, found that VUDU would let me play the BD disks back at HD for a $2 fee.

Swoodiwiss

Auditioning
Real Name
Seth M. Woodiwiss
I have started trying to play bluray discs from my collection. So far of the first 8, 7 have been damaged by rot - data errors, black screen (with audio ok) and distorted video. I have examined the discs and see no physical damage or discoloration. I have tried them in a LG 4k player, two Panasonic players - 420k and 820k, and my Sony Playstation 3.
Anybody else finding this problem.
One of the discs is Antman and Wasp from 2019. The others were older from various labels.
I have over 1,000 discs. I'm worried that they may be trash.
I have 3 Bluray with rot ALL are Lionsgate titles. Arrival, Lord of War, Stir of Ehcos. They all have bronzed backing with small white dots all over. For now I can chapter skip around but that just ruins the movie watching experience. 😪

willyTass

Supporting Actor
@ Drew grab a GONE WITH WINDOW blu ray from amazon Japan

their glassmasters, resins , clear coat and plating is out of this world - i just grabbed a copy for about 1400 yen - it routinely goes on sale

ive bought most of my library again from Ebay,or amazon Pressings from Sony AUstria (IFPI 94) ,Sony sydney (ifpi 65) Sony Usa (Ifpi Qw) and Japan . A poor mans form of archival protection against rot i guess. Probability of one disc rotting from one pressing plant is 1000 to 1 . Three discs rotting from 3 different pressing plants is a billion to one

Attachments

• GWTW.jpg
    GWTW.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
One of the concerns have I have with Blu-rays being made in Mexico has been their poor quality control. Wonder if that also applies to any disc rot as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks