What's new

Freaks - the appreciation thread! (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just caught Tod Browning's Freaks on TCM. Despite its vintage, this movie still has the power to weird you out - it's easy to see why MGM all but disowned the film when it um, freaked people out. :D

My favorite scene: the Living Torso lights a cigarette.

We're supposed to get this on DVD next year - hope it's a great release!

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
It weirded me out, but was actually very moving too. I like this more than Dracula. Great film.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
One of my favourites of all time. It's absolutely frightening at the end, and is probably the best execution of the "circus goldigger" story.

I mean really, it's downrigth gruseome at times.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
What are the chances of this being restored to the 90 minute run time that Browning originally wanted?

I love this movie and can't wait to get it on DVD next year.

BTW, is Warner working on the DVD or is does it still belong to MGM?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for bringing this one up Steve. I think that it is buried in the 30s challenge and deserves a bit more publicity.

Strange, strange film.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yep, just caught this one on TCM last night too. Good movie, but rather disturbing, especially when they show the black guy who is basically just a torso and a head. I heard that only one movie since then has used that many "freaks" since Tod Brownings piece, and that is "The Sentinel" made in the 1980's.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Reading up on SteveGon's links, it looks like many of the actors regretted being in the film and thought it an insult to freaks.

I remember seeing this on TV years ago and the sound quality was so bad it was hard to hear the dialogue. If they do release it on DVD then I hope they clean that up.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I've seen this one once. T'was enough for me! I've got this one on a special list in my IMDB account. Its a list of flicks that give me the chills!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
In all the years I've watched movies, this was the first time a movie dated well before 1960 has ever given me the creeps! I've watched my Laserdisc copy only once and never took it out of the bookcase again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks