What's new

Fox/MGM announce 19 titles for BD this Fall (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Well, the BD offers....

Widescreen Feature
Commentary by David Cronenberg
Optional Trivia Track
Fly BD-J Game
Deleted Scenes
Trailers & TV Spots

and the already-released DVD collector's edition offers...

Features:

Disc 1
Full-Length Audio Commentary by David Cronenberg

Disc 2
All-New Documentaries Covering All 3 Stages of The Fly Production: Larva, Pupa and Metamorphosis with Enhanced Viewing Mode
Deleted Scenes with Storyboard and Script Comparisons
Never-Before-Seen Alternate Ending
Rare Test Footage (Makeup and Visual Effects)
"The Brundle Museum of Natural History" Featurette
George Langelaan's Original Short Story
Charles Edward Pogue's Original Screenplay
David Cronenberg's Screenplay Rewrite
Interactive Articles (Stills with Video Clips) from Cinefex and American Cinematographer
Promotional Featurettes
Still Photo Galleries (Publicity, Behind-The-Scenes, Concept Art and Visual Effects)
Original Teasers, Trailers, TV spots and More!

This material already exists - Fox is choosing not to give it to you!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Id like to know where you shop to find a $2 price difference. On Amazon I can buy a catalog Blu-ray title from just about any studio, cept FOX for $19.95, and preorder most for that same price. But the first wave of FOX Blu-rays are $27.95...doesnt look like 2 bucks to me?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
And yet another BIG Fox release...

And this mega-blockbuster can be yours for the retail price of 39.99. All Fox needs to do is sell 1250 BD copies to double their gross revenue on this title.:)

Well at least it comes with a DTS HD-MA track, as useless as that might be.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Fox may not have the subsidy that Lionsgate has.

Another consideration is Lionsgate may actually care about the HDM buyers. Fox seemingly has really went down the toilet since they stopped being active at HTF. They went from the best studio on earth to the worst enemy in a matter of time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can also go to Warner Home Video site and buy most of their BR catalog titles for 19.95 each. Those similar type of BR catalog titles from Fox will cost you 31.99 from Fox's home video site.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Not if the miserable picture quality of Doctor Strange (which I made the mistake of purchasing) is any example. And the initial reviews of Van Wilder are just as bad. Using 50GB disks on these mediocre releases is overkill.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Fox used to get $59.99 for their WS, grey cover LD's. Blu-ray has about 7X rez over LD. Therefore, they should price their BD's about $419.95 . Pixel pricing.....

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Actually, it was $69.99 for a number of them. I remember joining the Columbia House LD club to get the three Star Wars films for $5 or something, as my intro offer. I would never have been able to afford them otherwise!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Is there any chance Fox will ever do a chat with us again? Granted they would take some heat, but I think they built up enough good will over the years with HTF that it would be a pleasant evening.

Heck, even if they did an interview with say Bill Hunt or Ron and explain some of their policies in regards to features, DTS-MA, BD25 instead of BD50, etc.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Hilarious.. Tell me when to stop laughing..

So this list is not "worth it"?:

Master & CommanderOct. 2Oct.
The Day After TomorrowOct. 2Nov.
From HellOct. 9Oct.
The Fly (1986)Oct. 9Q1 08
Edward ScissorhandsOct. 9Nov.
28 Days LaterOct. 9North America Only
Robocop (MGM)Oct. 9Dec.
Amityville Horror (1979) (MGM)Oct. 9North America Only
Battle Of Britain (MGMNov. 6Q1 08
A Bridge Too Far (MGM)Nov. 6Q1 08
I, RobotNov. 13Q1 08
Die HardNov.Nov.
Die Hard 2: Die HarderNovNov.
Die Hard With A VengeanceNov.Nov.
Red Dawn (MGM)Nov.Q1 08
Mr. And Mrs. SmithDec. 4Dec.
Independence DayDec. 4Dec.
Cast AwayDec. 4North America Only
Ronin (MGM)Dec. 4Dec.

Seriously, is this how we "welcome" Fox back? They at least have my support.. This price aspect is a tricky one, but I can´t pass films like "The Fly" or "Die Hard". Or the WW2-movies. Or "Robocop". Or "Edward Scissorhands"..

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's not unreasonable to say they're not worth it if the price and/or features aren't good enough for someone. Or are you saying no one should care about those things?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's just me, but I saw that as referring to Fox announcing The Hills Have Eyes 2. Which sounds like a fair dig.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

So every HD-release (Blu-ray or HD DVD) missing some extras is "not worth it"? Robert, I have over 1500 SD DVDs (probably around 2t). Quite frankly I have so many of these "extras" already. Granted, dropping these extras IS annoying, but not a deal breaker in the end (if it comes to that). Life - it´s just too short.

But I guess Fox is today´s "enemy nr. 1" in the format war..

Since we have two threads about Fox, it would be nice that at least in the other I could write that: "Cool, Hills Have Eyes 2 and 28 Weeks Later are coming and it makes me feel good! These were the titles that I hoped for (among the many)"?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Jari, i dont think its the titles that are the problem. Its that they dont have the punch that the DVD versions have. Most seem to be bare bones discs. Robocop wont even have the Unrated version on it. I bought Robocop this week on DVD for $15. Got both versions, with extras. Looks great upconverted on my BD player. Now i should spend $30 on a single disc with little to no extras, not even the unrated cut of the film?
I am going out this weekend to by the Clint Eastwood 2 disc Sergio Leone westerns i have been holding off on for Blu-ray versions. Why not hold out a little longer for the Blu-ray? Because i want the extras, or i want the Blu-ray price to reflect a bare bones price!
However i do also have Deliverance BD from Warner on preorder for less than $20, and with extras! Shoot, i have the 5 disc Blade Runner BD on preorder for less than a single FOX title!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We're not talking about the format war in this thread! We're talking about Fox selling their HD catalog at a competitive price like their competition Sony and Warner. As far as extras with over 4000 titles in my collection, I'm in a similar position as you are when it comes to extra material. My main focus is on getting the best presentation of the film itself whether it's the video or audio at a reasonable price.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I see your point and it´s sad if these Fox-titles will be priced so high (usually the online-store price is eventually less than the "list price", though). It´s just after waiting so long for these Fox-titles, people are only complaining.

But yes, I see the point. E.g. Warner-titles are priced like every (catalog) title should be priced. No question about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks