What's new

Fox/MGM announce 19 titles for BD this Fall (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Good example of how to do it right. Jari, what message do you want to send to Fox: "I will gladly buy any featureless release you put out there, at any price you choose to charge, because all that matters to me is that the film is on a particular format", or do you say "Hey Fox! I demand that you give me the kind of quality and value that Warners knows how to provide!"

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

The grey label ones that came before the 'faces" editions were $59.99 list. I got the $69.99 list editions from Ken Cranes for 20% off list. There were many editions of Stir Warz...

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Not every disc that has lost some extras is asking $40 retail.

Yes, there are some excellent titles in there, but we're all a bit older and wiser as to studio games. When we know that these films had full-fledged special editions on DVD, and that content is being held back, everyone knows what "double-dip" means.

Warner & Universal, for example do give up what they have in the vaults when they release films, and they do it for under $30.

Even when the release is a combo, that just takes the price to Fox level. But the last couple of combos I bought, 300 and Hot Fuzz, are packed with goodness, as well as throwing in an SD side. Even with the higher retail, I felt I really got a package. I wonder how satisfied people will be with these Fox titles?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Furthermore, though I refuse to buy combos from Warner, the combos they do release are new films just released on video.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

It´s true that I don´t have that many Blu-ray-releases from Fox and the main reason is the price. This mainly means that I could get e.g. "AvP" in Blu-ray, but since the film is quite mediocre, I don´t want to pay $28 from it (the price at the moment in e.g. Deepdiscount). But if e.g. "The Fly" will be $28, I´ll buy it. I simply love the film.

Long story short: I don´t plan to boycott ANY studio. I do plan to buy certain releases from e.g. Fox, but eventually I probably don´t buy as many as I would buy with the lower price. So I don´t particularly send either of those messages.

I don´t defend their pricing, nor their decision to drop some of the extras (like I said, it IS annoying), but I do defend their list of films in this "second HD-wave". In the end, they´re actually pretty good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When Fox releases a title onto BRD that had it's theatrical run of one year or less and I liked the film enough to buy it and it's priced like new titles from other studios at $39.95 MRSP then I'll buy it too because they're being competitive with their pricing.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I have to say that I´m a bit sceptical with your info.. But we´ll see. I have no need for that "Theatrical version", so if that´s only included, I won´t go near to the disc.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the comment you originally responded to was referring to the films per se, but the value of the releases.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This is something that I can´t understand, I´m sorry. People feel good paying extra, as long as the additional SD DVD-version (it´s NOT an extra-feature) is included? Combo-releases will be something that I plan to boycott in some degree (I still get e.g. "Miami Vice", since it has "both versions"). Like I said, I have already around 2t SD DVDs thank you goddamn very much. ;)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

No, Jari - I don't feel great about $40 retail for combos, but you must admit, in terms of value for money they've still got Fox beat. Regardless of the SD side, with the titles I mentioned (Hot Fuzz, 300) you get SUBSTANTIAL extras for your $40.

But given the choice, I would be happy with all those extras on a $30 single sided HD DVD! :)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
What isn't an extra feature to you, Jari, may be that to someone else. Some HTF members have stated they like combos because of the flexibility they offer as far as being able to enjoy the film on a laptop, at a friend's place etc.

I find it amusing that you're against combo discs on principle but consider Fox's recently announced--and similarly or more expensively priced--titles at least mediocre value; titles that drop extras and don't offer the flexibility that a combo disc does? I mean, I can understand not liking the idea of paying more for a combo disc if you're not going to use the SD side, but Fox really isn't being competitive at this point, and I think they are being fairly criticized because of that.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Now we´re on the same page. ;)

What comes to Fox, I personally wait and see the final specs of each title before drawing any full conclusions.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, for the price, this is true. I still buy a few of them, just like you buy some of these combo-discs. And they´re both "overpriced" in the end. Cool?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
How about this for a summary for MSRPs:

$40 barebones catalog release: Completely Unacceptable
$40 full featured catalog release: Tolerable
$40 barebones new release: Tolerable
$40 full featured new release: Slightly Acceptable

$30 barebones catalog release: Tolerable
$30 full featured catalog release: Acceptable
$30 barebones new release: Acceptable
$30 full featured new release: Completely Acceptable

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

somewhere in there ... wasn't there a promise that 50 gb would open the world for us in terms of extras?

Regards

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

where I lived, in 1990, the grey label Empire Strikes... was $69.99. I know because I would go back to the store multiple times to hold it in my hand and moon over before I finally worked up the nerve to buy it- about 8 months before I actually owned an LD player.
After the grey label came the definitive box set at over $2xx.00, and after that came the faces sets at a considerable cheaper price point. But I remember vividly the grey label sets being @ $70 each

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The grays were the first W/S efforts for the trilogy after the time compressed versions when the format was young.

Die Hard was also a gray as were many Bible epic films.

Luckily I had an income back then and could bloody waste it on these discs. Also remember the measely 10% discounts that we could get from the mail order houses.

Regards

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

when you add in a standard 30% discount + Amazons 10% on top of that, those prices are exactly where my sweet spot lies.
About the only slight difference I would have with that list would be to be honest and say that a full featured new release @ $40 is fully acceptable to me- providing that the extra material is robust and not just a collection of EPK fluff and trailers.
Additionaly I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Bare bone new releases at a $35 msrp. Bare bone catalog titles at that point or anything above it however is a non starter with me (and evidently a lot of other people).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Maybe they were $69.99 .....I recall that I got two of the 3 grey label ones at the used store for cheap. I ordered the straggler from Ken Cranes for about $50 with their 20% off and $1.50 shipping that was about $50 to me.

I do know that the regular grey lable price was $59.99 . There was a slew of those I wanted. Most of 'em I got ended up being at the used store I hawked. I remember coughing up $50 to get my dad The Blue Max grey label one Christmas. I never got the Definative Collection myself. It was beyond reason as far as I was concerned. I checked it out from the University of Ttennessee Library once though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks