What's new

Fox/MGM announce 19 titles for BD this Fall (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Fox has always has been greedier than some studios. They can't seem to change their stripes. Look who's the owner and CEO!!

Although we don't have the final specs. yet I bet these titles were pressed and ready to go months in advance. They were forced to de-moth ball them because of Paramount. Some catalog titles will probably be MPEG-2, and all but the most recent day 'n' date titles will also have DTS MA because, again, they were already mastered prior to the Fox "vacation."

Dan

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
So Dan, why do you think Fox went on hiatus? Were they aging these discs to perfection? ....making those tough decisions about revised cover art...? ....or, just P-ing off Sony with hopes of provoking subsuddies...? ...just lazy???

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
They went on hiatus because of copy protection concerns, among other things that only Fox knows.

I still think they were only forced into waking from their self-induced slumber because of the Paramount shakeup. I'd assume that some of these catalog titles will not have BD+ copy protection on them because they would not have had time to re-press them all because, I can only assume here, a red-alert went up to dust these babies off. Perhaps the new releases like 28 Weeks Later and Die Hard 4 will.

Dan

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Oh hell Jeri, i would be too! But would it shock you if the theatrical was all you got? I was so sure i got the SD DVD. But its only my second dip for Robocop. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, my memory of prices on other titles is a bit shakier- but I do remember a bunch of Fox 2 disc grey labels at a $59.99 price point too- I think Die Hard 1 &2 and License To Kill were at that srp.

I don't think the Parmaount news had anything to do with Fox. I've been happy to tweek blu-rayers noses at their absence these last 4 or 5 months, but in all honesty, I fully expected them back for the end of Q3 and Q4. But I also honestly expected them to adjust their pricing.
I don't think they help the Blu-ray cause one bit with scattershot release schedules and beyond the pale pricing. To have Fox(and by extension MGM) in your corner with these price and feature points is almost a deficet- they elevate the formats average price without providing anything that you can point to as an example for why someone should want to upgrade- other than a better pic and audio.

In regards to their price structure- I wonder if the main 'incentive' that Blu-ray offered to Fox was not in the form of replication subsidies (which would explain why they seem to be hesitent to lower their srps) but copy protection int he form of BD+...which certainly must be costing the BDA money to implement.
That was the incentive that got Fox on board- other studios like Paramount couldn't care less, so the incentives were tailored more towards subsidies in replication.

just speculating.

Fox for me has been a big Meh in 2007. I wonder if 2008 will be any different.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott

That isn't the final artwork from Fox. Dvdempire is just reusing the artwork from the cancelled/recalled Robocop that Sony was going to release.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I feel that its an extra feature because I get an SD version that I can play in my portable DVD player if I want, or take to a friend's house. The Combos are about $5 more than the regular HD DVD. If I were to go out and buy that same title on SD also it would probably cost me at least another $15 to $19.

Doug

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

I don't think that the LD's had to have 2 discs to qualify for $60 pricing. Planet Of The Apes had one disc and a $60 price tag. All the Fox war movies I wanted to get my dad were $60. I never did get POTA till the remaster came and a cheaper price.

You and I think alot alike about Fox. Them and their sidekick MGM aren't gonna help Blu much with high prices. I also suspect that they're the BDA's shakiest studio. If they feel letdown about BD+, who knows, they might bolt to HD-DVD to cut costs...??? I wonder if HD-DVD would have 'em?

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I have a copy of the Laser Video File catalogue to hand, dated Fall 1994 / Winter 1995, and can clarify a few prices:

Die Hard - $49.98
Die Hard 2 - $49.98
Planet of the Apes - $59.98
The Blue Max - $69.98
License To Kill - $39.98

The grey strip version of Star Wars is $69.98, but there are also $34.98 (reissue?) and $64.98 CAV versions listed. The Definitive Collection box set was $249.98

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I have no need for this whatsoever, but I see your point of course.

I guess this "combo-issue" has pretty much talked (debated) to death, so I guess we can drop it. In the end, Fox/MGM doesn´t release combo-discs.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I will guess a bare bones theatrical only version, and $40 or so retail. Just my good for nothing, but probably true guessing.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

I used to get that little paperback every year. I have the last one I ever bought somewhere around here but cannot find it. It was pretty handy back before the internet. The $35 dollar versions of Stir Warz are the P & S ones, most likely. That was their price anyway.

Thanks for posting this. The prices were hideous!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered two Fox titles for an average price of $15 each.
These Buy x, Get x free, and 50% off sales seem to appear with some frequency, so it makes the prospect of paying even a regular discounted street price for these seem sort of foolish.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Agreed but I don't think they're listening. The sad thing is I imported a featureless T2 for $32 and Starship Troopers for $40 so $27 doesn't seem so bad for certain titles.

However instead of selling me the 7 or so titles that I am going to pick up for $27, Fox could be selling me 17 of those titles if the discounted price were down to $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks