What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Formatting NFTS (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The hard drives on my last few computers have always been FAT32. So when I've occasionally wanted to reformat the hard drive to do a clean install of Windows, I've used a Win98 boot diskette to get to DOS with CD drivers and formatted from there. Then installed Windows.

My new Dell computer's hard drive is using the NTFS file system. I created a Win98 Bootable CD but when I get to the command prompt I can't see my hard drive because DOS doesn't recognize NTFS.

My question is, how would I go about formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows if I can't boot to DOS?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes, I do have a bootable Windows XP CD. It's one I bought back when XP came out. I didn't realize I could do the format from there. Unfortunately I ran into a little problem.

My problem was that when booting from this XP CD, it would eventually give me the 'Blue Screen of Death' right before it launched the install. Some research I did seems to indicate this is a problem when you have XP SP2 installed and are trying to boot from an XP SP1 CD.

Anyway, I thought then I could just boot to Windows, insert the XP CD and do an install from there. The disc came up fine with the option to Reinstall Windows, but when I clicked that option it told me I couldn't because the current version of XP I am running is newer than the one on the CD!

Soooooo......

I decided to create a bootable Windows XP CD slipstreamed with SP2. So I downloaded the 266MB SP2 file from Microsoft, copied my XP CD to my hard drive and slipstreamed the two. I used ISOBuster to extract a innaccessable file off the CD and then used Roxio to create the new Windows XP SP2 bootable install CD.

Then I crossed my fingers and booted from the CD... It actually worked!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks