What's new

Floor Standing Speakers in a Wall or In-Walls (1 Viewer)

icestone

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I will preface my post by expressing my appreciation to all those who have contributed answers to questions on the forum. Your inputs guided me in my dedicated HT build which I did from scratch. Your inputs whiteout which I certainly would have fallen into some serious pitfalls.

I have reached a point where reading answers on other threads can’t help. I am attaching pictures of where I am for reference. The question is about LR for my setup. I am considering the Martin Logan Edge for my LR which will be installed on either side of the main viewing wall at mid platform viewing height and inside the framed pho columns. I am fully aware that a well-positioned floor standing speakers is best but aesthetics is very important to me so I am not going that route. It seems to me that a back box of sorts will be necessary for the in-wall option due to the back of the pho columns being bare. Here is my question, will that be better than making a space big enough to fit a floor standing or a book shelf such as the ML xt60 hoisted on a platform and inside the pho columns than with an in-wall for a LR? Basically a floor standing speaker in a hole.

I will frame the speakers with permeable black sound clothes so the speakers can’t be seen. Basically create a costumed speaker front. I plan on using an angled non-inwall-speakers for a center which will be in a yet to build cabinet at the back of the stage. The cabinet will also house 2 subwoofers. The final configuration is a 9:2:6 (don’t know what I will do the spare 2 ceiling speakers). The rest of the speakers will all be in-walls and by the same manufacturer which is the reason for selecting MLs. I figured they do in-walls well and so matching will be easier.

In short, will a good in-walls be better than a great floor standing inside a wall on a platform for L and R?

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 125
  • Seating area.jpg
    Seating area.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 127
  • Equipment area.jpg
    Equipment area.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 134

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hate to be the grammar police, but this is just eating at me. It’s faux, not pho. :cheers:

DigitalDawn

Agent
Real Name
Dawn Luks
If you are looking at InWall speakers then Triad should be on your short list.

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls -- for free.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

Take a look: www.triadspeakers.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks