What's new

first pics from remastered FIFTH ELEMENT :) 21.6 MPEG2 versus 35.1 GB AVC (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sent back my old disc today, $2.39 shipping USPS w/ confirmation receipt. We'll see if they're as cool as Disney was when I had to do a DVD exchange a few years back. Not only did they replace the disc, they had a check included for $3.20...the cost of the USPS Priority Mail shipping I had used back then to get the disc to them. They never said they would send a check, they just did. Tres cool. Let's hope Sony's just as cool ;) Not that I need $2.39, but it's the thought and gesture that counts.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Those who have viewed the new disc (a number of retail stores have had them on shelves for a while now) have also confirmed that the original had a noticeable red push by comparison ot the new one, so no the screenshots haven't be doctored.

Checking out some of Xylon's other screen comparisons I noticed that I could detect no difference between the BD and HD DVDs of The Prestige. The frame of T2 had a cleaner print for the HD DVD, but otherwise looked the same EXCEPT that the BD appeared slightly stretched vertically (or the HD DVD compressed). Odd.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Huge diff between those and I will probably pick up the new version.

I chuckle at some people who last year said 5th element wasn't that bad a transfer as clearly it was crap. Sad that one's preference for a format can make them that biased.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yep.

Even when I was first excited about Blu-ray and went over to my friend's house to compare HD DVD and BD on his 1080p projector, my first undeniable thoughts were:

1. The Sammy BD player wasn't providing full picture quality (later confirmed regarding the filter in place)

2. The Fifth Element really sucked compared to what it SHOULD have looked like. We were in shock!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Kind of disappointing to see EE still in the T2 HD/BD shots. Too funny though on shot 3 where it's very very apparent that it's Ah-nold's stunt double on the bike. My friend and I love freeze framing Ah-nold movies to show our other friends that he not only doesn't do his stunts (which is the norm in Hollywood) but he also doesn't even do basic things like running. I mean, even Tom Cruise does his own running! :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just mailed my disc back this morning, after looking at those shots I can't wait to get the remastered disc.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You're very late.

Cees

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am format neutral - it's many studios, that's who are not.
And a few fanboys and followers.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
So is mine. :)

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Did they? I hope it's not visible.

BTW, I just noticed that I payed $23.96 back in 1997 for the SDVD version.
This one cost me $17.95!
(Both + shipping to be added.)
We are getting spoiled.

Cees

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I can't see that much EE in the screenshots from xylon. We'll have to see how the disc looks when it gets here.

I got confirmation from USPS that my disc got to SPHE on Saturday, so come on Sony, get me my replacement!!!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I don't see any blatant edge-ringing in the shots here, but I can see what looks like an "electronic harshness" which looks similar to when edge sharpening is applied very mildly on DVD.

Of course, I'll wait until I get the disc in-hand to review on my buddy's 1080p projector before drawing any strong conclusions.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

The movie looks wonderful and I can honestly say I've never seen it look better. Sony has done a great job with this blu-ray disc.:emoji_thumbsup:
Viewed the remastered copy this afternoon and I didn't notice EE or halos :confused:.
The sharpness of the film looked natural to me, but I guess it could be "electronic harshness" if the studio master wasn't that sharp. Just too close of a call for me I guess.

Paul

Robert George

Screenwriter
I haven't watched the entire movie, but I have sampled my favorite scenes. I'm using a Sony Pearl at 106" and I don't see any overt electronic edge enhancement. I do see a very sharp, detailed image. The high degree of sharpness and fairly punchy contrast (really great black level, the best I have ever seen in this film) does give this transfer a rather more "video" look that film, but still not overly "harsh" looking. I like this new transfer quite a lot.

The TrueHD track is to die for.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I don't think I've ever seen such a firestorm of excitement over such a horrible movie...I guess if the picture is prettier it makes the movie better...;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The screenshots do look really good but some do have a bit of an edgy look or hot. Still, a big improvement over the initial release. This movie has always enjoyed The Grand Poo Bah status on dvd...looks like it's getting it's due in High Def now too. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Alf,

many of us LOVE this movie. It is what it is. And even some movie snobs like me can still enjoy it whole-heartedly.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks