What's new

first pics from remastered FIFTH ELEMENT :) 21.6 MPEG2 versus 35.1 GB AVC (1 Viewer)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

as far as I know they want slowly go from PCM to DolbyTrueHD tracks...
so it's maybe some transition .........

and I think Dolby TrueHD will be 20bit/48kHz and PCM will be 16bit/48kHz

Marek

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator

This makes me think that there are a few other CE manufactures interested in Blu-Ray success other than just Sony.

HDnuts100

Grip
Real Name
Ted Saydalavong

Does anyone know when Warner will release this version of Superman Returns? I have it on BD but will buy it again for the TrueHD and PCM tracks.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
^No. Currently, it is an exclusive packed in with the Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD. Some say it will remain an exclusive permanently, but I rather doubt that. My money would be on its availability sometime during the fourth quarter.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I am very sure, Sony is not the only one who is doing ENCODING for BD,
and it's funny to read about SONY and BDA encoding and replications from hd-dvd/vc-1/microsoft insider :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Great to see the caps from the new disc. I'm THRILLED and can't wait to this (avoided the first BD like the plague).

BTW, Paidgeek confirmed that the PCM *and* DTHD on this title will both be 16-bit (not 20-bit TrueHD). The inclusion of both, as some have suggested, is to give consumers without TrueHD decoding access to lossless audio while Sony uses these early discs to work out their authoring protocols for Dolby TrueHD. Eventually Sony will drop PCM from titles where TrueHD is used.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Not to throw any water on this compare the screen caps posts but when I look at the caps, I see a major issue with the captures themselves. I noticed that the MPeg2 captures look like they are purposely softened up. I note the the picture is not only noticeably softer, but so in the posters signature on the captures. In addition, there has been some color shifting which also shows up on the signature.

Now I have no doubt the Sony has cleaned up the new release of the fifth element, and I expect it to be stellar, but these screen captures looked doctored.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Thomas,

* Edit * I just saw the 'signature' you're talking about. But on my screen it looks to have the same "sharpness" in both cases. Could it be being perceived more sharp on the AVS version to your eye bcs of the greater film-grain and surface-detail that's coming through the ghosted-signature?

BTW, at AVS there are some screen caps which showed the same difference in clarity and color as what we see in this link (or are they from the same individual?).

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
The screenshots have not been doctored. I can confirm that the original release looked that poor. :P

Anyway, I sent my disc back to Sony to be upgraded.

On a side note, Xylon, the picture poster, is actually a HD-DVD fan, and would certainly not do anything to help the Blu-Ray cause. Even being a known HD-DVD fan, his integrity isn't questioned there, which AVS being a warzone, tells you something about the picture posters reputation. If there was even the suspicion that he was being disingenuous, he would be mobbed by the Blu-Ray faithful. :P

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
p.s. this being a new film-to-digital transfer, and from a different print, color-differences between the two would be normal

BTW, since the signature is just a "shadow", OF COURSE it will display the color differences of the surrounding picture content!

BTW,

what's really significant about this whole event for Sony is that the 10-years of compiled HD transfers that they've been thinking all along would get recycled "for free" on BD, probably all will have to be scrapped and new film-to-digital transfers struck.

The HD-buying public have made it clear that they won't tolerate inferior HD transfers from old telecine equipment from the 1990s.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I agree. It was certainly a wakeup call for Sony (and hopefully all other studios).

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Ah, but with all the HD programming that is starting on cable/satellite I'm sure that they will make a bundle off of all thier saved up HD transfers. It's pretty much only on HD disc media that Sony won't be able to recyle these old transfers. Since catalog titles sell so poorly in general on HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, I'm not sure that it'll even be an issue they'll particularly care about for a year or two.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Link to toggle the Blu-ray MPEG-2 and the Blu-ray AVC frames: http://www.mbmg.de/hd-discs/thefifthelement_bd-vs-bdremastered/01.html

The sharpness of the signature looks the same to me also, though I had to toggle both pictures several times to come to that conclusion.

The only thing that bothers me about the AVC frame is that it is slightly cropped on 3 sides (top and both right & left sides). This is obviously noticed when you can now toggle it with the MPEG-2 frame.

Edit: On comparison one, the bottom of both frames are the same on the bottom right side, but the AVC frame is slightly cropped on the bottom left.:confused:
On comparison two, comparison three, comparison four and comparison two detail (200%, pixel resized), there is only a slight shift of the entire frame.

Paul

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
signature?
is the watermark to prevent copying, the signature.

that really shouldnt be clear anyway, just a watermark isnt it.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

Yes, as far as I know.

The watermark/signature "xylon@avsforum" is located in two areas - the upper left and the lower right of the frame.

Paul

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well is that didn't light a fire under my a$$ to mail the old disc back, nothing will! :D

I have an 8AM date with my local post office tomorrow...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks