What's new

'Firefly' added to Sci-Fi (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
As to why there hasn't been much posted in this thread recently, I think that's due to all the Firefly fans running to see Serenity, and then joining in on the discussion of that stellar movie in the "Movies" section of the forum!

(By the way, the movie Rocks! I just saw it two days ago and it's "still with me", so to speak. It's like the entire second season of Firefly compressed into one two-hour session!! And it contains some *major* surprises!!)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Firefly's Sci-Fi ratings continue to do very well. 1.3 million, in comparison to the 1.9-2.3 averaged by some of their other NEW shows.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
That was quick...

Our ever reliable industry sources are telling us that Universal will soon announce the DVD release of Joss Whedon's Serenity for 12/20. Early word indicates that the disc may include Whedon audio commentary, along with at least 4 behind-the-scenes featurettes (Future History, We'll Have a Fruity Oaty Good Time, Re-Lighting the Firefly and What's in a Firefly), a video introduction to the film by Whedon and 6 minutes worth of outtakes.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Saffron the best?

If there is any life left in this series, I hope we haven't seen the last of her. By far my favorite character.

--
H

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Will the official announcement come before Serenity is in the dollar theaters? If so, then I would think that they would be canibalizing their own box office receipts. I want to support the franchise (as it were), but I know I'm tempted to wait.

Then again, releasing the DVD during the holiday shopping frenzy, and while the Firefly light is still burning brightly in consumers' minds, is a sure way to boost DVD sales. Given the number of the series box sets that have been sold, my guess is that this will turn out to be a good gamble for them in the long run.

I hope it pays off and leads to many more projects in the future.
The alternative would break my heart.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pogs came from Hawaii, IIRC, they were milk bottlecaps, and when pogs were en vogue, they featured all sorts of artwork and designs on them (or any photo/pictures, and sparkly treatment). They were "collectible" for a while, but thankfully the craze died a sensible death.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
OK, I'm way late on this but I've been watching this show since they put it on SciFi Channel and I absolutely love it. An excellent scifi show and I wish they would bring it back.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I would hope that they (Sci-Fi) rerun it again once they show the last episode.

Has anyone heard if they will, or not?

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I'm chiming in very late to this thread because I'm just now watching this show on DVD. I can see why it was canceled, the first few episodes were kind of blah but by the time I got to the episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds" it really started picking up for me. I think I only have three episodes left to watch and I have to say, I'll be a little sad to have it end. At least I have the movie to still look forward to.

My favorite character is Kaley.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Wendy,

Just to remind you, since FOX aired episodes OUT of order the few few episodes weren't even the ones to air.

Our Mrs. Reynolds was episode 3 in airing order. Only preceded by The Train Job and Bushwacked. The two hour pilot episode "serenity" didn't air until the day before the show was canceled, almost 3 months later and after 9 or 10 other episodes had been shown. I say the easiest way to confuse the audience is to not introduce with the pilot.

It's like showing someone the Two Towers, then the fellowship of the ring. Sure some might know what's going on, but the average television viewer isn't going to stick around if they don't have to when things are that confusing.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I had heard that the DVDs were in the "right" order and that FOX aired them out of order. Why would they do that? *shakes head*

I don't know, if I were the creator of a show and I heard it had been picked up by FOX I would let out a big groan because they are definitely the worst network for not letting a show get a good footing before they yank it off the air. I have finally learned my lesson with FOX. I will no longer watch any new shows on that channel no matter how much hype it gets. If it is a show that does last on FOX then it will come out on DVD and I can check it out then.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In Fox's defense. Most of the shows they yank no other network would have been willing to touch. Only in the last season or two have the other networks started getting adventurous. If "My Name is Earl" had been made even three years ago, it would have been a Fox show.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Well, over the weekend I watched the final disc of "Firefly" and watched the movie, "Serenity" LOVED them both. Wow, those last three episodes were amazing. Especially "Objects in Space". WOW. And being a girl I loved "Heart of Gold" too. Loved seeing Melinda Clarke (a.k.a Julie Cooper) as a 'Madame'... she plays that role so well.

I'm a little sad now. No more 'new' Joss Whedon stuff for me. I still haven't returned the discs yet because I plan on going back and watching the episodes with Commentary and the same with the movie.

I'm glad I finally took the suggestion of my BuffyGuide.com friends and watched "Firefly".

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, Wendy, it is sad, but maybe not as sad as you think.

Hopefully, the franchise will continue on the big screen. I'm sure Universal didn't purchase the entire franchise just to make one movie. I think Serenity's numbers were pretty good, though I'm not sure why they went to DVD only two months (or so) after theatrical release.

I think chances are good that we'll get more Firefly on the big screen. That would definitely be a good thing.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, they didn't pick up the movie rights just to make $25M or so on a $40M movie, either. That sort of thing changes plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks