What's new

'Firefly' added to Sci-Fi (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Something tells me that the majority of fans who aren't tuning into Sci-Fi would total more than just 700,000. That leads me to believe if the series were to continue on Sci-Fi with new original episodes it would at least top 2 million total viewers...which would be higher than sci-fi's other original viewing.

With me comes wishful thinking. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Watched the show on DVD and quickly came to love it. More so than Buffy and Angel.

Also love how Malcolm Reynolds is portrayed - it's like a non-castrated version of Han Solo.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
But you can't argue that a majority of the hardcore Firefly fans aren't watching these episodes because most of them have the DVD sets. I have no doubt that these people would tune in on a weekly basis.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Why would they watch it cropped and with commercials instead of watching it widescreen and commercial-free? I guess they could turn on the TV and do something else in support of it.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Nah, I think Robert's point is that if Firefly reruns are getting these types of ratings, then *new* Firefly episodes would more than double the audience since you would be getting previous fans of Firefly who already own the existing DVD set.

Still, all of the information I've seen is that a new Firefly series is an impossibility for a long time so I don't think it matters either way.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
That's exactly what I was implying.

Long time... sure, but they've said they want to try to do 3 movies if the first is a hit. I just think the show has proven it's a small enough hit that new episodes would easily score big. Whether or not this ends up happening (most likely not) it's still nice to imagine more seasons of Firefly... ;)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I just watched the last episode last night(sob) and I have to agree with the above statement. I liked the first couple of shows (though a bit dry) but then after the first few episodes the cast and writing hit it's stride. The right dose of humour was added and the cast played off each other very well. With each passing episode I grew fonder of the characters and enjoyed the situations they got into. Sad to think, other than the movie, that we will never really get to see these characters fleshed out over a few seasons.
This show was leaps ahead of Enterprise or Voyager or even Stargate (Sorry Stargate fans)and a hellva lot better not to mention richer than the last three Star Wars movies.
FOX blew it again!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Anyone know if the run of Firefly episodes is going to continue on beyond the mid-season hiatus of SG1, Atlantis & BG or is that also going on hiatus?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
If it's accurate, Sci-Fi's schedulebot shows it continuing through Oct 21 with the 28'th being a Halloween (Horror themed) movie night. Nothing listed for November yet.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

There are only 14 episodes total. Looking at SCI FI's schedule, it appears they will show all of them. Heck, it seems they are using the series to drum up interest in the "Serenity" movie, which is being released by Universal, SCI FI's parent.

As stated in an earlier post, this run has been my first opportunity to watch this series. I've been greatly impressed. To be honest, I don't care about the "western" trappings but the show works because I actually care about the characters. That is the heart of the show and why I like it. I look forward to the movie and picking up the DVD so I can see the show properly presented.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The characters are very Joss Whedon and you gotta love them. I think I read somewhere Joss says that it is more about the characters and the rest is just a canvas for the characters to interact.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Michael is correct. SciFi is showing all episodes without a break as a build-up to the release of the movie. This is intended to build the existing fan base and to "fire up" the fan base that has been grieving the show's loss since Fox buried it.

I just got the DVD box set. I haven't had a chance yet to check it out, but I intend to watch the episodes on DVD as they air on SciFi so I can continue to participate in this discussion. I haven't seen the unaired episodes, so I'll be watching them along with you guys.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think it gets better as it goes on. You see the characters evolve too which is nice considering there arent that many episodes.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I can't believe this thread has gone so long without an update!

I just saw "Trash", and it's now my favorite episode.

I didn't catch this episode during Fox's original run, but I've heard others mention how good it is. Is it one of the three unaired episodes? (Just to be clear, I'm actually watching the episodes on DVD as they air on the SciFi network, so even though I have the DVDs, I've seen only the episodes that have already aired.)

I especially enjoyed the scene with Simon and Jayne (and River). It was brilliantly written and executed. I wish I could write like that.

Although I knew who would come save the day at the end (not that that can be expected to happen in every episode), I didn't really know the underlying plot twists that would make it possible, so the plot twists were still delightful to watch unfold. Joss's non-linear story-telling technique is just right for an hour-long show: not too much of it, not at all heavy-handed, and never used to manipulatively conceal something in order to cynically drum up the drama.

I may have to go see Serenity in the theater, rather than wait for the DVD, as I usually do.

It just keeps getting better.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

If so you might want to accelerate your viewing. If you stay weekly then Serenity is likely to be gone from the theaters.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But it's supposed to be out on DVD before Christmas, so it won't be a long wait. :)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Are you serious? (Yeah, I see the smiley, but that could mean that you're just happy to give me good news, not necessarily that you're kidding. :)) I can't find any news of when Serenity will be released.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Ditto to that. Some great stuff all around in it.
"I can kill you with my mind" :D

I was going to pick up the DVD's today but decided that they will most likely do some kind of sale or bundle when the movie hits.

So are there only 2 more episodes to air on Sci-fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks