Film VS HD Restoration

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by snoopy28574, Sep 12, 2009.

1. snoopy28574

snoopy28574 Stunt Coordinator

Mr. Harris,
    I have recently discovered that you have been behind the restorations of my favorite films such as Spartacus and Lawrence of Arabia and am wondering if the process of digital restoration can compare to what can be done on film. I know digital restoration is better for a blue ray release but for the cinema, does traditional film restoration reign supreme still ?

2. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

I'm sure Mr Harris will have some things to say on his own, but he has already expressed in interviews that some restoration projects just aren't feasible using photochemical means alone. For example here is a comment he made regarding the restoration of The Godfather Parts I and II.

http://www.theasc.com/magazine_dynamic/May2008/PostFocus/page1.php

Digital restoration isn't increasingly popular simply because it makes better looking Blu-rays. It is a powerful tool because it enables a lot of restoration techniques that just can't be achieved photochemically. Compare the Blu-ray of The Robe to the original DVD edition to see what can be done with modern restoration tools. Warner Bros. has reissued North By Northwest in new 35mm prints made from the recent restoration that will also be used as the master for the Blu-ray. At this year's Cannes festival The Red Shoes was shown on a new print made from a restoration of the 3-strip Technicolor elements. 4K and now even 8K resolution is good enough to scan the negatives, make a new restoration negative that can be used to make prints.

3. snoopy28574

snoopy28574 Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for your reply. I understand North by North West was digitally restored. Why would a film print then be used for the master of the blue ray ? Why not keep the process digital. Or have I misunderstood.

4. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

They won't use a print for the Blu-ray. They will take the 4K digital master and just down convert the image to 1920 X 1080p. The point is once the restoration has been performed at 4K or more resolution, then you can print the digital files back out to film without any quality loss.