What's new

feed direction for AR digital coax cable (1 Viewer)

Rob Ritch

Agent
All,

I have a question about the AR072 digital coax cable. I hve just re-arranged my HT and it required me to replace the 3' coax cable that I was using for the DVD player. The original cable was a monster, but when I replaced it I went with the AR Performance series to match all of the other interconnects in the system.

Now to the question, the Monster cable had an arrow indicating the direction that the signal should travel, i.e which end should connect to the receiver. The new AR does not have such an indicator. Does it matter which end of the cable connects to the receiver, if so is there a way with the AR to tell which end should be connected to the receiver and which end should be connected to the DVD player?

Thnaks for the information

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If a cable has a shield, there’s three ways it can be implemented on the cable itself.
1. it can be grounded at one end
2. it can be grounded at both ends
3. its not grounded at either end so it’s ‘floating’

If your cable is either 2 or 3 its irrelevant as to how it goes on due to the fact it’s symmetrical. Of course if the manufacturer of the cable in those cases is saying something like the wire itself has a preferred electron flow they’ll put an arrow on the wire somewhere. In those cases, return the wire if possible, as this is a clear indication that you’ve paid too much for the wire, seeing that such a statement is pure BS.

If it’s #1 then generally there will be either an arrow or a marking on the cable. The general convention is that the arrow points in the direction of signal flow which implies that the shield is grounded at the source. In other words, if you’ve got a cable going from your preamp to your amp, the preamp connection will have the grounded shield and the arrow will be pointing towards the amp.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
E-mail AR for their input. I just picked up their Master Series S-video and Digital Optical and both don't indicated direction. So I just went the direction of the writing.

Kevin

Rob Ritch

Agent
Kevin,

I e-mailed AR as you suggested and this is the response that I received from them

"The Performance cable is not directional like the Monster cable. It doesn't make a difference which end you use."

So that is that, thanks to all that replied

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Rob do you have their e-mail address? I would like to ask them about their S-video cable, since it has a ferrite core built in. Goto find out if the end with the core should be nearest the DVD or TV. Thanks

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks