What's new

Fear the Walking Dead Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Previous threads:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4

AMC's companion series to "The Walking Dead", called "Fear the Walking Dead", will return this summer on on Sunday, June 2 at 9:00pm ET/8:00pm CT.

Trailer:

The upcoming season stars Lennie James, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Colman Domingo, Danay Garcia, Garret Dillahunt, Maggie Grace, Jenna Elfman, Alexa Nisenson, Karen David, and Austin Amelio.

Synopsis: "In Fear the Walking Dead Season 5, the group's mission is clear: locate survivors and help make what's left of the world a slightly better place. With dogged determination, Morgan Jones (James) leads the group with a philosophy rooted in benevolence, community and hope. Each character believes that helping others will allow them to make up for the wrongs of their pasts. But trust won't be easily earned. Their mission of helping others will be put to the ultimate test when our group finds themselves in uncharted territory, one which will force them to face not just their pasts but also their fears. It is only through facing those fears that the group will discover an entirely new way to live, one that will leave them forever changed."

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I haven't been able to follow this show but it's weird to think that the actors that started the show off are all gone! Same with the Walking Dead but that happened over nine seasons and not three or four!
JB

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Alicia and Strand are still on. But yeah, there was more than that on TWD when they started season 5. I believe it’s only Daryl and Carol who are left from season 1 at the moment.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I don’t know why, but if I start watching a show, I almost always watch the complete run, no matter how unsatisfactory it becomes. I did this with “Lost in Space” and “Laugh In” as a child an recently with shows like “Castle”.

I have followed both “Walking Dead” series and unlike TWD, FTWD seems to get better each season.

I was very close to dropping TWD especially through the terrible Negan years, but find Fear becoming more absorbing despite the death (or because of the death?) of the original cast. I am hoping TWD is reaching it’s conclusion, although it was better this year.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
The final episode of season nine would indicate a lack of fresh ideas to me and the quicker they get Negan to kill alpha is more the better!
JB

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's amazing how this series has such a good track record of young characters, when kids on the mothership (with the exception of post-time jump Judith) are so uniformly terrible. This episode had four kids in it, any none of them were irritating.

Matt Frewer's character is an interesting antagonist, because he just completely fucked over our protagonists, but he did it in pretty much the least combative way possible. It's nice to have a villain who isn't a psychopath.

I like that the period covered by the however-many-months time jump has been a more or less complete failure. They're on an idealistic mission in a dystopian hellscape. That shouldn't be easy.

The area in Texas they find themselves in has a nightmarish quality to it that I associate more with Left 4 Dead than I do the Walking Dead universe, between the radiation warning signs on one end of town and the barriers of walkers tied together with intestines on other end of town.

Daniel Salazar has more lives than a cat.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm digging how this season is leaning into the horror underpinnings of the zombie genre this season. It's almost like 2/3rds of our cast are caught in purgatory, with this strange remote corner of Texas where they're trapped between nuclear fallout on one side and very graphic boundary markers on the other side. Even the scenery is creepy and unsettling.

The plant melting down because the staff lacked the resources to operate it and the decision to decommission it and abandon it was delayed too long felt like a true bit of worldbuilding. There are a lot of things that keep our civilization running that would become very dangerous without civilization to keep them running. Nuclear reactors being one of them.

Grace, the plant's director of operations, is a new series regular this season. This was the unusual episode where there wasn't a single guest star.

Daniel Salazar not giving Strand the plane was basically a foregone conclusion.

With the devastation wrought by last season's hurricane the southern half of the United States seems to have been split into two halves, with a stretch in the middle along the hurricane's path that is now basically impassable by automobile. That's an interesting development, because our two subgroups are separated on either side.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
The last time I saw an episode of Fear, Strand had decided to stay in his Mexican villa with his dead lover and Salazar had committed suicide by entering a cellar full of zombies!!! So what else is new on this show? Oh yes I had heard that Johnny Depp had died somehow in season four! Why did he leave?
JB

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The reveal that the three kids are the ones fencing off the perimeter with zombies linked together with intestines was interesting. I'm still not sure they're bad guys.

Texas having a chain of frontier towns all built using the same plans, and stocked with plenty of live ammo, fits my prejudices against Texas.

Dwight feels like an unnecessary addition, but I get why the powers that be wanted another link to the higher-rated mothership. He doesn't detract, either. He's just there.

Hopefully we'll get some answers about what's really going on soon. They're about pushing their limits for how long the audience can be kept in the dark before they get bored and tune out.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I liked seeing Dwight again and am hoping to see Sherry again as well....;)

I think I love Texas even more over what I am guessing is a fictional chain....?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was a good episode. After three episodes of nothing but setbacks and disappointments, the two subgroups make some real progress: Victor, Charlie, and the truckers secure a new base of operations from Daniel while Morgan, Alicia, and Luciana win over the three siblings (and the other kids of the power plant workers, who give off a Wolverines-from-Red-Dawn vibe).

The subplot with Daniel and the plane tied in closer to the first two seasons than anything in a while. Pairing Charlie with Daniel was really smart; she was a better advocate for Strand than Strand could ever be for himself. It was also interesting to see her operate from an insider's perspective; last season, we saw operate against our heroes, but we only saw what our heroes saw. She took down the settlement in the ballpark, but we only saw what she wanted them to see. Here, we see operating out in the open.

It's also an interesting pairing in terms of baggage; what Victor did to Daniel was horrible, but what Charlie had done is even worse. There are very few people still alive at this point in the story who haven't done appalling things. Charlie may be a child, but she has as much to atone for as any of the adults. When civilization fell, she lost the luxury of having a childhood. Unlike the coddled youngsters behind the settlement walls on the mothership, she had to grow up quick. I like that this show acknowledges that, and accords her the respect associated with that.

Zombie massacre via plane propeller has to be of the more inventive but also more icky kill methods yet presented on these shows.

The stuff with the guys in suits and the helicopter intrigues me. Are they the same group that Jadis was working with, who took Rick Grimes away? Clearly they have a pretty sophisticated and well-resourced operation. Is there a part of the country/world that isn't overrun?

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Has to be as the military have hardly made much of a stand against the dead anywhere have they?
JB

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Only two episodes in, but I’m really loving this season. It’s WAY better than TWD at the moment, and the best Fear season thus far. Hopefully can catch up before Sunday.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I love how this show takes situations that could bring out the worst in people, and finds ways to show humanity shining through. I don't know how I expected Al's story to go, but a love story definitely wasn't it. But it was beautiful. Isabelle is our first in-depth look at the organization that took Rick, and I love how Sydney Lemmon (granddaughter of Jack Lemmon) brought a completely different energy than we usually see in the "Walking Dead" universe. Isabelle really has her shit together, but in a well-trained way rather than the street education our protagonists have had.

And even though Isabelle and Al will likely never see each other again, Al sacrificing her story for Isabelle finally allowed her to join the group in a way that she hadn't been able to up until now.

I'm glad we're down to two separate storylines now. I look forward to seeing how our group and the children of the plantworkers make it out of that inaccessible valley.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode feel a bit too much like Beyond Thunderdome at times with the group of kids. But it certainly built to a compelling cliffhanger.

The problem with Dwight's storyline is that they had to pick up where his storyline on the mothership left off. And that makes his journey feel very disconnected from everything else that's going on in the episode.

It's a bit strange to me that Karen David is credited as a series regular, when she just seemingly went on a suicide run six episodes into the season.

The gag with the beer-shaped hot air balloon was a good one. Now Strand and Charlie are trapped with the rest of them. Since Mo Collins and Daryl Mitchell are credited as guest stars, the show will presumably bench them until whoever survives the current situation makes it out.

mandy147

Auditioning
Real Name
Madhav Sharma
This used to be one of the best series I've ever watched but it has lost the lot now. The new character Negan was quite irritating and they have stretched that part quite a bit. Hope they create something better in the upcoming episode. I think they don't know how to end up the series on a good note.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks