What's new
World Wide Stereo

Factory default reset before calibrating?? (1 Viewer)

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
my searches couldn't really come up with an answer for this one.

totally newb here i'm ready to do my first attempt with Avia II on my sony xbr4.

so now i'm wondering....do i do a factory default reset of sorts before i run this disc?? on the TV and the dvd player?

i'm just thinking that maybe all of these sony features that can be turned on/off etc. could affect the calibration process and i should be starting with a blank slate of sorts??

also i plan on getting the DVE BD to run on my ps3 and calibrate the HDMI input......should i be doing a reset of sorts on the ps3 as well because it has different options for settings??

thanks much all!

728x90

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Not familiar with Sonys, so these are general tips:

You may want to disable pre-sets such as "cinema mode" or "natural fleshtones" or whatever, but on some sets the factory settings include some or all of those items, so that isn't necessarily a shortcut to clearing them. You may just have to turn them off individually. Also on some sets as soon as you start messing around with settings, regardless of your starting point, the TV will save whatever you're doing to its "custom" setting slot. On those sets there is no point in turning that stuff off because whatever values the calibration disc guides you to are going to be saved independently. Whether you started from a pre-set or not is irrelevant to the final result.

On my JVC there are processing items like "dynamic gamma" and digital noise reduction that I disable. But if I start from the pre-set for "cinema" and then change the values from the pre-sets that constitute the "cinema" settings, my changes get saved as my custom choice, just as they would if I were starting from the factory settings. (Which I've had to do a couple of times when one of my cats stepped on the remote control just after I finished a calibration. If you have pets or small children, make sure you move to a non-picture menu before exiting the menu system. ;))

Regards,

Joe

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
ok thanks much joe - there's a lot that you said that i didn't even consider.

going to take a stab at this over the weekend i suppose!

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
ooooo one more question::

should i change my dvd player's output to 480i or 480p before doing the calibration??

just wondering if the upconversion to 1080i would mess with the process???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks