What's new

Exclusive to Laserdisc - help compiling a comprehensive list! (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There have been two laserdisc editions of Communion starring Christopher Walken: the Image Entertainment (1990) regular edition, and the Lumivision (1996) Widescreen Special Edition. I'll discuss the latter:

The Lumivision Widescreen Special Edition of Communion contains a commentary track with the director (not the same commentary track that appeared later on the DVD).

The Lumivision Widescreen Special Edition of Communion also contains a few minutes of bloopers and improvisation. Some of this footage later appeared in reedited form on the DVD, but the DVD covers up the audio with narration. So if you want to actually see *and hear* the bloopers and improvisation (including Christopher Walken cracking up as he is assulted by an actor dressed as an alien) you need the Lumivision laserdisc.

Terrible film BTW.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the film version of Communion is a pretty weak reflection of a fascinating book (Strieber's website and net-radio show is excellent, too) but I'd love to see a new DVD with a commentary by Strieber.

There was a Japanese Laserdisc of The Reincarnation of Peter Proud. Due to the excessive, yet narratively essential nudity (including a full frontal shot of Margot Kidder masturbating in a bathtub) it rarely (or never?) showed up on TV and as it was independently produced by Bing Crosby's company BCP (distributed by MGM in 1975 only) it fell into obscurity and is now owned by Rysher Entertainment. Semi-cheezy film, but it is quite disturbing in places.

The Image Entertainment widescreen Laserdisc of Burn, Witch... Burn! (1962, aka. Night of the Eagle in the UK) had a commentary by Richard Matheson that probably won't show up on any future MGM DVD - the UK DVD (good anamorphic transfer, but only available in a crummy, over-priced box set) will probably not have that track.

There was a widescreen LD of Paul Newman's Sometimes a Great Notion, which is a fine film, but is another Universal title languishing in the vaults. The same goes for Mirage (1965, Edward Dmytryk).

walter o

Supporting Actor
Gordon,

there was a LD of REINCARNATION in the U.S thru image. I have it, but havent played it in years. It was released by AIP in 1975, and did very well. It used to play once a year in the late 70's/early 80's at my local TV station that kept playing AIP features. All edited of course. (they kept playing REINCARNATION, DESTRUCTORS, KILLER FORCE, SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, FOOD OF THE GODS, BOBBIE JOE AND THE OUTLAW so it was nice when Vestron put them out uncut on video later on).

As for the rights owner, I hooked them up with 4 different DVD label to put out REINCARNATION as well as BEN and WILLARD, and they turned all four away, as they want a very unrealistic licensing fee. I am guessing a major studio might be able to afford it. ):

walter o

Supporting Actor
some more films on LD but not DVD

SHOUT AT THE DEVIL
ROLLING THUNDER
SATAN's BUG
WEEDS
HANNIE CAULDER
I COME IN PEACE
WORLD GONE WILD

I recall MGM announcing WAR OF THE PLANETS,HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT,SHE, FORTUNE AND MEN'S EYES but I never saw it, not sure if it ever came out.

I recall WB announced CRUISING but I dont think it ever came out either.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Oh, cheers, Walter; I didn't know that there was a U.S pressing from Image. It isn't listed at the Laserdisc Database. Maybe my DVD-r copy from Bijouflix.com was made from the U.S LD, as the pq doesn't look like VHS and is a decent copy on my smaller TV when viewed from 10ft. It's a cheesey, yet strangely disturbing film in places and would be snapped up by fans of 70s sci-fi.

Shout at the Devil is available in the UK (and other European countries) in the drastically cut 119-minute version in a what is said to be awful, albeit anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer. The Australian DVD is also the cut version, but I do not know what the quality is like. A shame, as I have always heard that the full 147-minute version was a damn fine piece of entertainment from those who saw it in theatres. The Image LD was apparently 127 minutes, pan and scan, CAV. I practically worship Lee Marvin, so you can imagine that I'd want a goregeos anamorphic transfer of the uncut 147-minute version.

The Satan Bug is available in Italy and Sweden with an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer that is apparently pretty good, save for the horrendous aliasing/combing. Who owns the U.S. rights - is it still MGM?

Rolling Thunder was also released on LD by Image. There must be a problem with the rights, as it was produced by AIP, with a VHS from Vestron. So, who controls things now - MGM? Disney? My God it would be a big seller, as far as catalogue titles go, especially if you John Flynn, Paul Schrader, William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones to participate in interviews and/or commentaries.

Are you refering to Rysher Entertainment in regard to Peter Proud; Willard; Ben, etc? It is really frustrating when companies like that acquire the rights to film libraries and don't release the cult stuff on video.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Gordon,

I do have the US LD of SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, and side 3 was CAV, but I could have sworn it was alot longer than 127min. I guess I might have to give my old LD a spin and check the running time.

MGM controls ROLLING THUNDER and they are playing it alot on cable TV here in the US awhile back, perhaps they are working on a S.E?

you are correct that MGM still controls SATAN'S BUG. Fun little film.

It be nice if MGM also puts out another fun Marvin flick GREAT SCOUT AND CATHOUSE TUESDAY. Seeing him and Oliver Reed as a comedic duo is something else!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday, Walter! Not tuesday! :D

I have never seen it, but it one of my Holy Grails as I also worship Ollie Reed. I am sure that the film is a hoot.

I caught the end of The Professionals on TV last night and Ralph Bellamy's "bastard" in "You bastard" was muted out! I was livid! I had dragged my brother into the room to hear it, too! Bastards indeed! 2006 was a great year for Marvinians: Prime Cut and Point Blank? Great stuff!

A DVD of Rolling Thunder in 2006 is a must, surely?

walter o

Supporting Actor
Well I've been waiting and praying for a widescreen version of PRIME CUT since the LD days, and that eventually came out on DVD, so lets hope more gems from the vault will appear in DVD.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Prime Cut is an brilliantly bizarre movie. It was produced by Cinema Center Films. It came to us on DVD from CBS via Paramount. Do CBS own the Cinema Center Films library? If so, then they own:

Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? (1971)
Figures in a Landscape (1970)
The Boys in the Band (1970)
The Brotherhood of the Bell (1970, TV movie)
Sole Survivor (1970, TV movie)

All of which have been unavailable for years. Joseph Losey's Figures in a Landscape was announced for DVD release in the UK this year, but it was cancelled, which caused me considerable disappointment, as I am huge fan of Losey, Malcolm McDowell and Robert Shaw and I have longed to see this film, which has never had a legit video release.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Gordon,

yes CBS owns them now, and can put them out thru Paramount, just like PRIME CUT, REIVERS, WITH SIX YOU GET EGGROLLS, LITTLE BIG MAN, MAN CALED HORSE, LA MAN, etc. Since they put those out, I assume they will eventually get to the ones you mentioned.

Other good titles from that library would be BLUE WATER WHITE DEATH, ADAM AT 6AM, REVENGERS,APRIL FOOLS, MONTE WALSH.

FIGURES IN A LANSCAPE was out on CBS video in UK and Australia, a pre-cert. It was re-titled HUNTED, so you might want to check your used video shelfs Gordon, or ebays, as I was able to buy one for 9 pounds once.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I was aware that Peter Gimbel's Blue Water, White Death was a Cinema Center Films, but I assumed that it was a forgotten documentary. It's still the best shark documentary ever made so it is pretty frustrating that is isn't on DVD and never had a LD release. With Ron and Valerie Taylor and Stan Waterman still with us, it would be wise of CBS/Paramount to get their thoughts on the film for a DVD release in the near future.

I had forgotten that Figures in a Landscape had been re-titled "Hunted" and that there was a pre-cert VHS in the UK. I have great admiration of Joseph Losey and that film is one of many films of his that have been very hard to see over the years, many not recieving VHS or Laser releases.

Stuart Rosenberg's, The April Fools would be welcomed by most, although I find Deneuve's english-speaking roles tedious, but Lemmon is worth watching. I haven't seen it - is it good?

I'd love to see Monte Walsh again - this time in it's original 2.35:1 Panavision ratio. It's a beautiful Western.

spiny norman

Auditioning
Real Name
Wells
*Julius Caesar (1953) - trailer only on laserdisc.
*Quo vadis (1951) - Chinese dvd available, but trailer only on laserdisc.
*Life of python (1989!) only on laserdisc (the DVD of the same name contains completely different material made in 1999.)
*criterion Satyricon - information on Petronius' satyricon
*El cid criterion edition - a whole bunch of extras

Come to think about Julius Caesar and Quo Vadis. I have both on DVD. I don't suppose someone could capture these trailers for me from LD? I would like to see the trailers for these movies to give a bit of historical perspective. Any help would be much appreciated.

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
With regard to special features that were never released on DVD, the widely unnoticed special edition laserdisc of Mrs Doubtfire has a bunch of supplemental material, none of which showed up on the DVD. Also, the Toy Story box set has a ton of stuff (including an exclusive audio commentary track) never seen on any of the DVD releases. Since this thread is three years old, this stuff probably won't be updated on the first post, but thought I'd mention it for those who are still interested.

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry; I guess I stand corrected. I was going by the fact that Amazon's page for the Mrs Doubtfire DVD doesn't mention any special features and the fact that it's only one disc. Are you sure that all of the Laserdisc features were seen on the DVD?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The Kane CAV laser dosn't have much,compared with the wonderful Ambersons SE, The price was more,and what you got was a fair still file
a trailor and some other extras,I still have it
Peter

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Ken Russell's THE MUSIC LOVERS had a nice widescreen laserdisc release, but still no DVD in sight. Still my most wanted film on DVD.

blister329

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty
The Pioneer Special Edition of Basic Instinct has an exclusive commentary w/ various other features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks