What's new

Exclusive to Laserdisc - help compiling a comprehensive list! (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Right. Sorry about that. Been so long since I played the LD, mainly because it's been autographed.

Mike

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Criterion edition of Bad Day At Black Rock has a commentary by John Sturges. Warner will be releasing the film on DVD next year. It is doubtful that it will have that commentary.

Criterion's excellent Laser of Robinson Crusoe On Mars sells for insane amounts of cash on Ebay, yet no DVD is in site. Very strange. Must be a rights issue.

Criterion put out a Laser of Midnight Cowboy with a commentary by Schlesinger. In 1994, MGM put out a Laser with a 25th Anniversary retrospective documentary. They dropped it for the DVD, probably because it was 'out of date' by 1997. :rolleyes

Gordy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Criterion's excellent Laser of Robinson Crusoe On Mars sells for insane amounts of cash on Ebay, yet no DVD is in site. Very strange. Must be a rights issue.
No rights issue, Paramount owns it. I'm hoping that they will one day decide to release it. They know there is strong support here on this forum for this to be released on DVD.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
In the ranks of the obscure - "The Mask", a rather old 3D film was released on LD only, including glasses.

Mike

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
No rights issue, Paramount owns it. I'm hoping that they will one day decide to release it
Now I don't want to be accused of putting words in Mr Blythe's mouth, but it seems that I remember him intimating that there was not much interest at Paramount in this title at this point in time. As much as it is written about here & considering the eBay selling amounts, a reasonable person would suppose that this title would sell well for Paramount. I'm curious about their apathy toward it.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A few from my collection which I believe are not on LD
Marx Bros:
At the Circus/ Go West
DAY AT THE RACES
A Night at the Opera

COMPLEAT BEATLES, The
Invasion of the Space Preachers
Leningrad Cowboys Go America
KURT & COURTNEY
LIFESTYLES OF THE RAMONES
SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS '95
THIS IS ELVIS (DOCUMENTARY)
WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT (with original Jessica Rabbit 'flash shot')
The Whos Tommy, The Amazing Journey,
Paul Weller, Highlights & Hang Ups
The Cure - Standing on the Beach and Play out- Many videos not on the DVD

Not Sure about these on DVD:
Fiendish Plot of Dr. FuManchu, The
FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member

Midnight Cowboy (Pioneer?) has a retrospective documentary and commentary by Schlesinger.

Michael Mann's The Keep is not on DVD and the VHS editions are all pan and scan. The Laserdisc is 2.35:1, though.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
We can also add to the list:

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Original theatrical version available on widescreen VHS and Japanese laserdisc. Widescreen collector's edition contains a 15-minute featurette on the making of the film; the excerpted footage appears in longer form, however, on the DVD.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Well, I guess we can add the just released ONE MILLION YEARS BC(1967) to the list-

the LD is the 100 minute version, the DVD is 91 min.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Yep. And I'm still waiting for an explanation from Fox.

Going back through this thread, I don't think "1776" (the last great LD title botched on DVD to get me furious) wasn't mentioned.

And then there are the movies that on DVD are missing other things.

"Sweet Charity" and "Guys And Dolls" are both missing their Exit Music on DVD and had them on LD.

"Great Race" still has the screwed up audio in the credits.

"It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in addition to being the shorter cut is missing its Overture and the title sequence lacks the color shifts.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Going back through this thread, I don't think "1776" (the last great LD title botched on DVD to get me furious) wasn't mentioned.
Well, the LD didn't reflect the true director's cut, but rather the workprint.

It's like if MGM put out the original roadshow version of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World on DVD (if they ever have it restored). People will complain that it's not the extended version previously on VHS and LD. Tough luck. It's more important to have the CORRECT version than the longest version.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Well, the LD didn't reflect the true director's cut, but rather the workprint."

The director's own words on the LD commentary reveal that to not be the case.

It's like if MGM put out the original roadshow version of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World on DVD (if they ever have it restored). People will complain that it's not the extended version previously on VHS and LD. Tough luck. It's more important to have the CORRECT version than the longest version."

But in the meantime, a version *approved* by Stanley Kramer (just as the "1776" LD was approved by Peter Hunt) did appear on LD, and until then there is no reason for not presenting that cut on DVD. Once that version gets out in one format, the consumer is gypped when it gets shortened or changed again in a new format.

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
I looked through this whole thread and have not seen this one mentioned:

The Criterion Collection's CAV Version of Singin' In the Rain

This LD has an audio commentary by Ronald Haver. I believe he was an instructor at UCLA film school. So much more informative and interesting that the DVD with Debbie Reynolds comments. Ron goes into details about the film, the actors, and so many interesting facts about the film.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
To the best of my knowledge, the "Nadia Omake Gekijou" segments of the Fushigi no Umi no Nadia Perfect Collection LD box are not available on DVD. The same goes for the Production Art Portfolio/Soundtrack Album from the Wings of Honneamise Memorial Box editions, and I don't believe the currently available DVD editions have both the original stereo sound and the 1998 5.1 audio remix.

I probably have other stuff like this in my collection, but it's hard to track down what is and is not on the DVD editions.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
The Showgirls LD has two teaser trailers that weren't included on either of the two DVDs.

Carrie (1976) had a commentary track on LD that never made it to DVD.

The Princess Bride has a commentary on LD that is different from the two on the DVD.

Ms. 45 is uncut and includes the trailer on LD. The DVD is lightly trimmed and doesn't include the trailer.

Black Christmas - The 1999 Image Entertainment/Warner Bros. LaserDisc is matted to 1.85:1 while the 2002 Critical Mass Collector's Edition DVD is matted to 1.66:1.

walter o

Supporting Actor
DANDY IN ASPIC on LD and in WS
IDOLMAKER has a commentary by the director, the DVD does not
FUNHOUSE has a trailer that is not in the DVD
EASY RIDER has a commentary by Peter Fonda and Hopper, the DVD has a new commentary by Hopper only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks