What's new

Exclusive to Laserdisc - help compiling a comprehensive list! (1 Viewer)

blister329

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty
Also, the Boxing Helena Signature Box set has a bunch of exclusive features including: commentary, unrated cut, video conversation w/ actors + director, shooting script, shooting schedule and production stills. I'd like this set as well.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Regarding Raging Bull Criterion SE Laserdisc - can anyone tell me if the audio commentary by Martin Scorsese and editor Thelma Schoonmaker was ported over to the DVD? Are they the same?

Plus the Criterion laserdisc lists -
• The shooting script and original storyboards
• Publicity and production photographs

Which both don't appear to be on any of the DVD's

Real Name
Lee
Hi Dave
Asda are doing this DVD for a little over £4 and as far as I can make out only the trailer as an extra. Hope this info helps..

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
I did a forum search and didn't see anything, but Criterion's CAV disc of "Sex, Lies, and Videotape" has a bunch of cool extras like the short "Winston" and the entire screenplay in still-frame format. Interspersed with the screenplay is a video interview with a very young Steven Soderbergh talking about the evolution of the film. One of my first LD's and one of my favorites.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have hung onto my LD of The Big Country for its bonus features. For a start, the dust jacket included an interview with Saul Bass about how he designed the film's famous opening credits sequence. The most distinctive thing about The Big Country IMO is the great Jerome Moross score, which may be the greatest western score of all time. The LD has the entire score on an isolated track (alas, in mono), and one of the tracks features an in depth audio study of the score by a musicologist.

There are a few interview audio tracks featuring Charlton Heston and Burl Ives, and a little humorous behind-the scenes period promo featurette narrated by Jean Simmons about her experiences on the film, and there are various TV spots that promoted the film on its TV showings. On the DVD, there are no extra features, except maybe the trailer.

Another difference in LD and DVD presentation is in the famous title sequence. In the shots of the straining heads of the galloping horses, they are sepia toned on the LD. On the DVD, those shots are in B/W. I do not know which is correct, but the B/W seems jarring in that the rest of the shots are in color, so I prefer the sepia.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There were loads of extras on the following laser discs which do not appear on DVD:

AFRICA SCREAMS
JACK AND THE BEANSTALK
THE BELLBOY
THE ERRAND BOY

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Two frames w/naked woman in window in "The Rescuers." (I know it wasn't shown that way in the theaters, but it's still on the LD) Japanese/Hong Kong "Song of the South" and the uncut "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

Real Name
Lee
OH NO!!! Not 2 more discs to add to the wants list... It keeps on growing.
Love Lou so will have to keep an eye out for Africa and Beanstalk.

All very interesting and thanks for the news.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
DVD Compare has a good comparison of the various Raging Bull editions on DVD... Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Raging Bull (1980)

I got the Region 2 Definitive Edition edition the other day for just £5 from play.com Heres the specs...

R2 UE United Kingdom - (MGM)
Extras:Disc 1
*The Film
Audio Commentary by Director Martin Scorsese and Editor Thelma Schoonmaker
Audio Commentary by Cast & Crew Members Irwin Winkler, Robbie Robertson, Robert Chartoff, Theresa Saldana, John Turturro, Frank Warner, Michael Chapman and Cis Corman
Audio Commentary by Storytellers Mardik Martin, Paul Schrader, Jason Lustig and Jake La Motta

Disc 2
"Raging Bull: Before The Fight" featurette (24:56)
"Raging Bull: Inside The Ring" featurette (14:08)
"Raging Bull: Outside The Ring" featurette (26:16)
"Raging Bull: After The Fight" featurette (14:44)
"The Bronx Bull: an Introduction to Raging Bull" documentary (26:44)
"De Niro Vs. La Motta" Shot-by-Shot Comparison (3:35)
"La Motta Defends Title" Newsreel Footage (0:56)
"Jake's Jokes" collection of La Motta's jokes (6:20)
Theatrical Trailer (2:05)
Subtitles:English HoH, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Norwegian, Romanian and Swedish
Aspect Ratio:1.85:1
Picture Format: Anamorphic
TV System: PAL
Soundtrack(s):English Dolby Digital 5.1
English DTS 5.1
Polish Dolby Digital 5.1
Case type:2-Disc Digi-Pack
Notes:Comes with 16-page booklet. Discs encoded R2/R4.
Special thanks to Rewind user Robert Sharp for providing these specifications.

It's specifically the Scorsese and Schoonmaker commentary that Im interested in - is it a port from the Criterion laser or a brand new recording for the DVD?

roven97

Grip
Real Name
Phil
That is a great list at the beginning of the discussion. But it is quite old. Any updates as of now, what with blu-ray, triple dips, and such?

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
I don't think it's been mentioned but GI Jane has a laser only audio commentary from Sir Ridley Scott that doesn't appear to have been ported over to any DVD release.

Well if you want to add animation to this list i know of a few.
I own the entire first season of sailor moon on LD. And each disk has extras that were not released on the R2 DVDs. Interviews with the cast, how the dubbing process works,
The Sailor Moon movies have the text less opening and ending animation for each movie. This was not released for the region 1 DVDs, and printed in limited quantities region 2.

And the movie cats don't dance, was only released in wide screen on LD, the DVDs, and VHS are all cropped.

Bretacious

Auditioning
Real Name
Bret Hampton
Hi all

I just found your site and wanted to be helpful if possible. I work at Image Entertainment and have been the editor of many of the laserdiscs you're discussing, such as the Star Wars Trilogy, Hoffa, The Sound of Music, Toy Story, etc. Although these are Disney, Fox, MGM titles etc, they were all edited and released by us. I'm happy to offer any info of our releases, especially ones I worked on personally. Also includes tv titles, such as Twilight Zone, Dick Van Dyke, etc.

Please feel free to ask as I'm now compiling my own list of titles as I've been so busy working on these great programs I've neglected to make my own list, just working from memory.

Some to get you started, looking forward to talking with you all:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Alien
Total Recall
Robocop (Criterion)
Aliens
Brazil (Criterion)
Great Expectations (Criterion)
Diehard
[SIZE= smaller]The King and I[/SIZE]
[SIZE= smaller]The Sound of Music[/SIZE]
[SIZE= smaller]South Pacific[/SIZE]
[SIZE= smaller]Oklahoma[/SIZE]
Carousel
State Fair

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Se7en Criterion has a different commentary to the DVD

Naturl Born Killers (PSE) Has the NIN music video, this is not on any other format due to WB no longer having the rights

Sten F

Second Unit
This thread is misleading as it´s ONLY Exclusive Region 1 LaserDisc vs. Region 1 DVDs.

Many foreign DVDs are equal to, or better, than the Region 1 LaserDiscs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks