What's new

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
HONEST TO GOD OSCAR MISTAKE YEARS:

1941: How Green Was My Valley (shoulda won: Citizen Kane, thanks Hearst Press!)
1952: The Greatest Show on Earth (shoulda won: High Noon, thanks HUAC!)
1957: Around the World in 80 Days (shoulda won: Giant)
1966: The Sound of Music (shoulda won: Doctor Zhivago)
1970: Oliver! (shoulda won: The Lion in Winter)
1977: Rocky (shoulda won: Taxi Driver)
1981: Ordinary People (shoulda won: Raging Bull)
1991: Dances With Wolves (shoulda won: Goodfellas)
1994: Forrest Gump (shoulda won: Pulp Fiction)
1997: The English Patient (shoulda won: Fargo, and the world would have been a much better place if it HAD won)
1999: Shakespeare in Love (shoulda won: Saving Private Ryan, this one's got an asterisk now that will never fade)
2001: Gladiator (shoulda won: either Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Traffic)
2006: Crash (shoulda won: Brokeback Mountain)*
2012: The Artist (shoulda won: Moneyball)
2019: Green Book (shoulda won: Roma)

Y'all got that?

*I actually liked Crash more. Go figure.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Would anyone put Annie Hall beating Star Wars: A New Hope in 1978?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't think any Best Picture choice will satisfy everyone. That didn't start with this movie and it won't end with this movie either.

Which raises an interesting question: what were the most widely-embraced BP picks?

And I don't mean seen through the prism of time - not movies that now get uniform praise/acceptance as BP.

The ones that got the least amount of Monday Morning QBing/immediate complaints.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Which raises an interesting question: what were the most widely-embraced BP picks?

And I don't mean seen through the prism of time - not movies that now get uniform praise/acceptance as BP.

The ones that got the least amount of Monday Morning QBing/immediate complaints.
My personal answer is Spotlight. I’d have to Google which films ran against this one, but I enjoyed this film so much that I thought it deserved to win.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Would anyone put Annie Hall beating Star Wars: A New Hope in 1978?

Oh, absolutely.

Blockbuster status means nothing.

...and I don't think generally, science-fiction/fantasy films have done well at the Oscars. The only one that comes to mind at the moment is LORD OF THE RINGS which didn't get a huge acknowledgment until the final film if I remember correctly.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Hard to say with titles in the era before Social Media. Most recently its been Parasite but all Nomadland and Coda generated was pure apathy so...eh?

Otherwise Return of the King comes to mind.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was looking for "global answers", not individual. We all have many personal preferences! :)
Universally loved films- a tough one to answer. Would Titanic qualify?
Maybe Silence Of The Lambs?
Godfather Part 2?
One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest?

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Oh, absolutely.

Blockbuster status means nothing.

...and I don't think generally, science-fiction/fantasy films have done well at the Oscars. The only one that comes to mind at the moment is LORD OF THE RINGS which didn't get a huge acknowledgment until the final film if I remember correctly.

Return of the King, Shape of Water, and EEAAO. That's it.

Unless you count Forrest Gump as a stealth fantasy movie like I do.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Of course, and why not?

We are all highly opinionated film aficionados. This is our passion.

This is the one place to expect people to dump on films they think didn't deserve the Best Picture award.

However, these are merely opinions. We promote lively debate here and one person's opinion isn't the definitive one.
I have seen this film [EEAAO] . It is very average . I do advise anyone buying their popcorn they may not finish it as some around me fell asleep. In my opinion it shows the general lack of good movies being made today. Perhaps it is me just getting old .

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
1999- the year American Beauty won?

My pet peeve is in 1994- Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction AND The Shawshank Redemption. Seems to me both losers are now regarded as better and more memorable films than the winner.
Personally, I would much rather have seen Pulp Fiction win. It blew my rural teenage mind when I saw it in the theater (and I felt like the only person who was getting it in the theater since I was laughing at parts that others weren't.)

But Forrest Gump is still absolutely beloved, especially by Boomers, whether people like it or not. It was a heavily written in nomination for the Library of Congress Film Registry. Remember, Zemeckis hadn't made his weird turn into motion capture films yet and was still cranking out hits.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Personally, I would much rather have seen Pulp Fiction win. It blew my rural teenage mind when I saw it in the theater (and I felt like the only person who was getting it in the theater since I was laughing at parts that others weren't.)

But Forrest Gump is still absolutely beloved, especially by Boomers, whether people like it or not. It was a heavily written in nomination for the Library of Congress Film Registry. Remember, Zemeckis hadn't made his weird turn into motion capture films yet and was still cranking out hits.

That's a tough one, Kent. A real tough one.

I love Pulp Fiction. It's Tarantino's masterpiece. Saw the new 4k release a few months ago and was once again blown away after all these years.

But Forrest Gump? That film caught the heartstrings of just about every movie-goer out there. I mean, my eyes were watery throughout. I hate to say it -- and it's just my opinion -- but that film deserved its win.

The sad part is that it went up against Pulp Fiction, as that film in its own right, in any other year, should have been a Best Picture winner.

And I think that kind of spells out whey EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE won this year. It has something in it that pulled on the heartstrings of viewers.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

I'm thinking Schindler's List was a gimme. I don't recall anyone being remotely surprised by that.

The Godfather and Godfather Part II, maybe?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Has the Academy ever screwed up and named a bad movie Best Picture? Yes, multiple times.

Does that mean every Best Picture movie is automatically bad? Of course not.

Is the "Best Picture" actually the objectively best movie released in a year? Rarely.

Do people ever grouse about the Best Picture winner not being their own favorite movie of year? Only about 99.99999999999% of the time.

Do people ever confuse a movie that's not their favorite for being bad? If that movie wins Best Picture, 100% of the time, yes.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

That's a tough one, Kent. A real tough one.

I love Pulp Fiction. It's Tarantino's masterpiece. Saw the new 4k release a few months ago and was once again blown away after all these years.

But Forrest Gump? That film caught the heartstrings of just about every movie-goer out there. I mean, my eyes were watery throughout. I hate to say it -- and it's just my opinion -- but that film deserved its win.

The sad part is that it went up against Pulp Fiction, as that film in its own right, in any other year, should have been a Best Picture winner.

And I think that kind of spells out whey EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE won this year. It has something in it that pulled on the heartstrings of viewers.

Has the Academy ever screwed up and named a bad movie Best Picture? Yes, multiple times.

Does that mean every Best Picture movie is automatically bad? Of course not.

Is the "Best Picture" actually the objectively best movie released in a year? Rarely.

Do people ever grouse about the Best Picture winner not being their own favorite movie of year? Only about 99.99999999999% of the time.

Do people ever confuse a movie that's not their favorite for being bad? If that movie wins Best Picture, 100% of the time, yes.
I have never seen Forrest Gump (a) out of pure spite; and (b) because it embodies the trope so perfectly skewered in Tropic Thunder. I don't know if I ever will see it. I have liked most of Zemeckis' films, particularly Used Cars, BTTF and Cast Away, but Forrest Gump has never held any appeal for me. That being said, it is culturally significant, not the least because of its improvement on techniques used in Woody Allen's Zelig for inserting its central character into historical moments, and I would not begrudge anyone who wants to watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks