What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Today, Everything Everywhere All At Once. Evelyn Wang (Michelle Yeoh) is beset on all sides by the banality, impossibility, and absurdity her life has become.  She’s a karaoke loving laundry store owner, despite always wanting more out of her time on Earth. She’s about to face a ruthless IRS auditor, Deirdre (Jamie Lee Curtis). Her daughter is closeted and the family fears won’t be accepted by matriarch Gong Gong, whose traditional outlook won’t approve of such a thing. And her husband Waymond (Ke Huy Quan) is a bit daft but approaches every situation with a positive attitude that would make Barney cry.
Evelyn’s worlds collide when she is thrust into “The Multiverse” facing off with clones of everyone in her life, some of whom have skills very different than she does, some of whom have made radically different life choices, and some of them, well, want to kill her.
Resolving such a a genre bending mix of action, drama, family squabbles and pathos will require to re-evaluate her...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah I know but I prefer streaming thru iTunes. Guess it doesn’t really matter.
I prefer iTunes too, but I’ve played movies that weren’t available in DV on Vudu using my Roku. But, did playback in DV on the Vudu app on my AppleTV.

Last edited:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Lucky for UK fans then that UHD’s are region free. ;)
Yes, but its expensive to import at the moment and won't all the extras be on a Region A encoded Blu Ray disc..?

This was one of only two 2022 film for which I did not make it past 20 minutes.
So maybe I don't need to worry... :) (PS Robert, what was the other one...?)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I blind bought this a while back, still haven’t gotten around to it. Hopefully soon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It took me three or four times to finish the film and while I enjoyed the performances, especially Ke and Michelle’s, it was just a bit too crazy and over the top.

I need to rewatch it at some point. I did find it hard to follow. Perhaps with subtitles and commentary.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Watched it start to finish - but it took a colossal effort. Its a collection of childish effects strung together in an incoherent story line about the multi-verse that generated zero emotional investment. It finally came to an end only because (in this universe) time is linear. Otherwise it was all over the place (including a universe were human fingers are (literally) hotdogs.

Every 30 mins or so I asked my wife - "You still want to watch this?" Unfortunately, she said "yes, maybe it will get better" each time.

Don't be fooled and get your hopes up like I did - it has a big tease - a false ending about 3/4ths the way through where credits start to roll. But unfortunately, its just the end of a movie within the movie and you've still got 45 mins of hotdog fingers and rocks talking to each other to sit through. The rock scene is in the desert and is supposed to be a universe where no life evolved but theirs clearly a small airport on the right side in the distance. OMG.

More enjoyable things I could have done with my time include: Watching Ishtar and getting a colonoscopy.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
More enjoyable things I could have done with my time include: Watching Ishtar and getting a colonoscopy.
Root canal and Bill Murray's acting in The Razor's Edge...but yes - infinitely better/less painful ways to spend your coin and time.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On the opposite end, I bailed with about 20 minutes left. :)

I can understand quitting 20 minutes in. It is less understandable quitting wit 20 minutes left where everything that has gone on hits tied together and resolved.

I didn't much like the film, because I was expecting a science fiction film and got a dysfunctional family drama with science fiction trappings. I did manage to finish it, but I just don't care to watch films about family dysfunction. I can watch the news for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks