What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Eric Rohmer has died. He was 89 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Alas, sad to hear. But not a shock.

How could I not love a director, one of whose most famous films is "Claire's Knee"?

One of the truly great filmmakerss, Rohmer remained artistically vital to the end - not a bad epitaph. He was not the flashiest of the new wave directors (many of my friends find his characters oblique, to say the least), interested as he was in the esential "mystery" of human nature. But he was the truest filmmakers, always sensitive to the nuances and resonances of everyday life - Like Ozu, finding the extraordinary in the ordinary. And I can think of few modern directors who made so many fine films with women at the center of them, or who treasured romance in the way Rohmer did.

Rohmer was originally a novelist and film critic, championing his heroes Hitchcock, Hawks, Murnau and Renoir in Cahiers du Cinema. They and Rohmer must be having a heckuva film ]discussion at the pearly gates tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks