What's new

ENTERPRISE renewed (all discussion here please!) (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann

New York! Nazis! The Mafia! The "Temporal Cold War"!

[Nelson Munz laugh]Ha! Ha![/Nelson Munz laugh]

Now, who was it said Enterprise couldn't possibly get to be any worse than Voyager ("The Killing Game")???

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What did they finally go with ripping off lame endings like the disasterous remake of Planet of the Apes?

The humanity!!

or

The Horror. The Horror.

Dan

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Exactly what I would have done. And exactly what most of us expected/wanted to see, I'll bet.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Then it isn't good to get something that you didn't expect?

If they had written about what you wanted, Phillip, wouldn't you be crying 'foul' because they did exactly what you had expected them to do, and got bored?

I thought the twist at the end of this season was a riot. Surprized, yes? Bored, no. This may be Trek but it is also Sci-Fi. I'd almost call expecting the Klingons to be the cause for making the Prime Directive the exact opposite of fiction. It would almost be as bad as making a documentary.

Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up, but think about it. That would be what you would expect, and referring to the other Trek series', Enterprise would all be past tense, and thus previous events that have already happened.

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, yeah. That still leaves room for interesting side-stories, drama, and clever ways of filling in the details.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

B&B have been doing exactly what I expected them to, and I am bored. ;) :)

I think they'd have had a tougher time screwing up a Klingon war story than they did with the silly Suliban TCW.

But you're right - if they'd made a pig's ear of any Birth of the Federation / Klingon first contact stories I would be crying foul. Plots can only go so far in making interesting TV. First and foremost, some decent writers need to be brought in to add some depth to the characters and some sparkle to the dialogue.

Enterprise has been a wasted opportunity so far. I'm not against the production team coming up with cool new ideas for stories/arcs, but "Nazi-Drazi in America" is not one of them, IMHO.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I expected stories about the Beginning of the Federation and people exploring by the seat of their pants but it wasnt long before they started getting into the same ol'd Voyager like territory.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I think the Birth of the Federation story offers plenty of opportunity to surprise the viewer. We know virtually nothing about the Andorians or the Tellarites or the Alpha Centaurians.

The reason why I would expect first contact with the Klingons to motivate the creation of the Prime Directive is because Picard already established that's how it happened. Broken Bow was a huge missed opportunity. In the first few minutes, I thought the story was going to go that route. Archer wasn't going to let the crippled Klingon warrior die. He was going to impose his values on another culture and offend them deeply (despite his good intentions), causing hostilities and forcing us to rethink our priorities. Instead we got, well, you know...

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Glenn Overholt wrote (post #113):

But, what makes this so funny is that it is exactly the kind of writing---hackneyed, epigonal, vapid, uninspired, or shall I call it "eclectic"?---that one---or, at least, this one---has come to expect from them.

"Space Nazis" and time travel. Who'ddah thunk?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Yeah but that *was* one of the best episodes of Enterprise. They weren't the wimpy Borg of Voyager, but the scary-as-shasta Borg of First Contact.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Glenn Overholt wrote (post #119):

Well, at least they would've given the audience what I take it they once had promised. As you may know already---and it's easy to check the record---, I've been against the whole "birth of the Federation"-backstory exploitation thing since the first time I heard of it. (The backstory should almost always stay "back" and you always go forward, rather than backward, in your imagined world.) So, I wouldn't have been favorably impressed in any event.

But the present (rumored) scenario seems such a jumble of mishmashed genres as to be laughable, exactly the kind of thing that one might expect from desperate writers with no new ideas. And, even if the final filmed version turns out to be substantially different from the rumored version, it says something about B&B's "regime" that it's so easy to believe that it's true and predictable of them.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Oh I dunno. Maybe they'll have the alien Nazis divided into two camps. One helpful, the other dangerous. You can recognize the differences by the color of scarf that they wear. ;)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Oh for fark's sake. Didn't the Eugenics Wars happen in the 1990's, according to Trek lore? Braga, try READING about some of the stuff you keep throwing out there...

Jeezus. :thumbsdown:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was about to say the same thing.

Braga, as you know, back in the TNG days used to brag about his unfamiliarity with TOS. Wore it like a badge of honor.

In addition, it might help if he read some established science-fiction literature. The series needs to return to science fiction.

All this stuff I'm reading about all these story plans for the fourth and (I hope) final season really has me squirming -- and I've stopped watching Enterprise.

I wonder how many of the hardcore Trek faithful have abandoned ship? Red alert, indeed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Translation: We see that there are a lot of people who utterly despise it, but the actor playing Crewman Daniels still has those pictures of me and the goat.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

TIME TRAVEL! They'll go back to the 1990s but it will be our 1990s and there will be super Borg clones and naked Vulcans...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When the going gets rough, call in the old hands for a brief ratings-boost high. Then after the high, there's the comedown and hangover. Deperation and desperate moves won't save this show.

Look, last time I tried to watch this abortion of a series, I was looking at goofy makeup, hearing talk of "alliances" and "governing councils," and more crap that shows, once again, that this latest spinoff's "stories" could be fit into any of the other spinoffs, regardless of the time in which it is set. The NX-01 has already been to Risa, for chrissakes. And they've met the Borg and the Ferengies.

Each episode of first- and second-season TOS had a sense of wonder about it — you know, "boldly going."

This latest thing? You could interchange it all with Voyager or TNG and there'd be no difference.

Does Brannon Braga really believe real-life alien intelligences would just be humans with bad hair? And that their primary concerns would be the same as ours — i.e., getting cable rates lowered, finding great deals on a Ford Excursion, the Yankees going all the way in '04, etc., etc.?

Is what I am saying making any sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks