What's new

Economic reasons for TV-DVD slowdown (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys:

I'm going to guess part of the slowdown for TV DVD releases has to do with economic reasons.

Two or three years ago, there was a severe glut of TV DVD releases, selling at about 40.00 a pop. Maybe 100.00 dollars apiece if they were big name releases such as Star Trek and such. Possibly it was too much too soon.

Now, we're in a recession. In a recent USA Today article, it was mentioned that people have started cutting back on their 2.00 a cup Starbucks coffee and have started to shop more for bargains than luxury items.

Now. . . I realize most of us here on this forum consider TV DVD's essential to life, but other people don't see it that way.

You also have to factor in the fact that when TV-DVD's came out they were 40.00 a set, now you can get some of them for 20.00 at Wal-Mart. That cuts into the company's profit margin.

So . . .Unless a company has reason to release a tv show (like knowing it will sell) like Hawaii Five-O, Mission Impossible (possibly), they probably won't release the borderline profitable sets.

Hopefully, those tax rebates we're supposed to get, will jump start the economy again. . .And than everyone can get their TV-DVD's. Or not.

Please feel free to point out other factors that I've forgotten about or where I might be wrong.

James Smith

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
I'm an enthusiast and I've had to cut back on all my non-essential purchasing... that includes collectibles and dvds.

Everything -- from bank fees to the price of gas and milk -- has risen, except paychecks. Something has to give, a person can not not pay their bills so that means entertainment items are the first to go.

For me though, it's not too bad. Most companies haven't been releasing anything I've wanted to purchase anyway. A lot of the tv on dvd I would have bought is just not coming out...

1966 Batman TV Show
Knots Landing
Six Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman (Classic)
Dallas (although Season 8 was just released, no Season 9 has been mentioned and that's a skip purchase anyway since it was the dull dream season.
Dexter S2
Once and Again S3
New Adventures of Old Christine

... Tons of others too...

On a positive note, Party of Five Season 3 is on the way. I've already begun saving so that's a guaranteed buy. And I'm not paying Paramounts Crazy Prices for their 1/2 season releases so no Mod Squad, Love Boat or Dynasty. By the time the economy picks up, maybe they'll do full series, I mean, full season sets.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

A recession is 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth in the GNP. We are not currently in a recession.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
There's also a case of people having bought a lot of shows and they still haven't watched them. They take their time to get the next set. They pile up on the video shelf. Space is always a consideration.

Plus people know that there's always sale action coming up. Why buy now when you can wait a few months to get it as part of a 2 for 1 sale?

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason

I don't know that there is really that much of a slowdown with DVD releases, especially with older shows. I think most companies have always been disinclined to release anything they'd consider a borderline profitable set. They just have to find out what those shows are. A lot of the most mainstream stuff has already been released and then re-released (big shows like Buffy, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Friends). The idea that we're getting shows like the Fugitive, Mod Squad, and Mannix would have been hard to imagine 5 years ago, I think. We'd all like to have a couple of new vintage shows come out each month, but I don't really think that's a realistic expectation, especially when you're looking at shows that aren't genres (like science fiction) and don't necessarily have a large guaranteed niche audience.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I bet money we'll see Dexter Season 2 come out in the fall before season 3 premieres

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree on the waiting periods. Most times, depending on the title and its significance of importance, I'll wait.

Heroes Season 1, which was $50 when it came out, I hadn't thought about picking it up, but Target had tossed it on sale for $19 a few weeks later and so I picked it up.

Smallville Season 6, same thing, it was $45 when it came out, a few weeks later, I got it at TYarget for $30.

Lost Season 3? Ditto. I waited to purchase it and got it for $30.

Bones Season 2? I waited as well and I got it for $20 a few weeks after release.

Why purchase on their release dates when these stores are just going to put these shows on sale?

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone happen to notice that "Gunsmoke", season 2, vol 1 is now selling for $20.49 on Amazon.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, speaking for myself, my purchasing has slowed down mainly because either the shows are completed or the studios have abandoned the series or the studios are just slow in releasing the next season sets.

I'd say 95% of the TV on DVD that I buy are 70's shows. Each year brings me closer and closer to completing some shows while continuing others.

This year alone, I think I will hopefully finish at least two shows maybe four.

However, last year saw me begin at least five shows on DVD. Possibly more. And most of those shows have either just released their first season, or are already on their second.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
A lot of it has to do with the fact that the studios are releasing crap titles and not releasing the titles that some of us older fans grew up watching. Those shows that came out in the 60's, 70's and 80's ...

Six Million Dollar Man
The Bionic Woman
Courtship of Eddie's Father
Bonanza
Simon and Simon (Discontinued by Studio)
Baywatch (Discontinued by Studio)
Happy Days (Doubtful if future seasons will be released)

and so on. They're more apt to release a show that is currently being produced, so that they can tie the DVD release into the new season for that same show. They cannot do this for an older show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks