What's new

DVI or Component for HDTV /DVD (1 Viewer)

Dan-Voorhees

Auditioning
This is my first post here so please bear with me :) My TV has 1 DVI input and 2 component ins, my question is do you guys/gals think that going to the DVI hookup from a DVD player (i.e. the Samsung and Denon) AND using component cables from my cable box to my TV would yield the best overall results? I saw in previous posts that the difference between DVI and component is negligible as far as HDTV is con concerned. Any and all input is welcome especially the quality of the high res dvd players. Thanks.

H

Hank

I would use the DVI for the DVD player. I hear that the Samsung is great when using the DVI output. I haven't really read anything on the Denon 5900 with the DVI output in use. Another good DVI DVD player is the Bravo D-1 I believe.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have the samsung 931 connected (via dvi) to my 65" mits. i'm *very* happy with the picture.

i do recall liking the picture even better then when i used the component, but i really didn't give myself a fair test -- i knew which cable i was testing.

if your tv is a dlp, then the only smart choice is dvi - since that will give you a pure digital signal. :emoji_thumbsup:

otherwise, i suggest you just test and see which works for you. one nice thing about using component is, if you route via your ht receiver, you can use the component monitor output.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello Dan and welcome to the forum. What kind of tv do you have? Is it a tube, projection, LCD rear-projection, etc. I've found that utilizing a DVI connection will make a difference over component especially if your tv doesn't have to convert a digital signal back to analog before displaying it on your screen. In other words, if you own a 34" widescreen tv, it may not make as much of a difference, as opposed to a direct digital signal to an LCD screen. Does your cable box have a DVI out as well? If so, you might want to try using the DVI from it to take advantage of a full 1080i signal, rather than a lower rez dvd signal IMHO. Experiment and have fun.:)

Dan-Voorhees

Auditioning
Thanks for the welcome and all the responses. I have the Sony 51" WS510, RPTV. I currently am using the DVI cable from my cable box to my TV and component cables from my DVD player to my TV. I am using an older model Onkyo DVD player and I am not satisfied with the darker scenes in movies. There is way too much pixalation, the brighter scenes are amazingly clear but the dark scenes :thumbsdown: I am looking to upgrade my DVD player so I want to keep every door open. The thing is I only have a budget of about $500. All model suggestions are welcomed :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks