What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Profiler 4.0.0 is out. (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
How did you get your discs into the Delicious Library?

Initially, I scanned the barcodes of the discs for my DVDs. But even before I started switching to HD DVD (and then Blu-ray too), I started entering new titles manually by typing the title name.

I keep separate shelves for Blu-rays, HD DVDs, and DVDs and within those three I also subdivide them into Movies, TV, etc.

But the master list is all alphabetically by title regardless of medium.

Mark

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I use Parallels for Mac so I can run Windows 10 and OS X Sierra at the same time.

The only reason I ever bring up Windows on my Mac is to access DVD PROFILER. It has always been my main "go to" BD/DVD/4k catalog software.

I wish they would make a version for Mac, however.

As a backup on the Mac, I use a program called DVDPEDIA. So, I have my entire 5,000 title library on both software platforms. When I enter new titles on DVD PROFILER I also do it on DVDPEDIA.

DVDPROFILER still outranks DVDPEDIA because it can handle "child titles" on boxed sets. This means if I add a set like Alien Quadrilogy, DVD PROFILER will also break the listing down on individual titles. DVDPEDIA does not do that.

I do the same thing (except that I use VMWare for running Windows). I can sync my DVD Profiler to my iOS devices, from this setup, which is nice. Even though I use DVDPedia, I find it lacking. Oh, well, I did pay for it, so I'll use it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
DVD Profiler has supported custom media types (e.g. 4K or 3D) for some time now, and you can filter on those. That's how I catalog all my DVR recordings.

---------------
I never considered using this for DVR/Download tracking but it's a hell of an idea. I might have to get on that.

I've only started using "FILTERS", I created Criterion, Arrow, etc subgroups. DVDProfiler continues to be pretty much all I need. I'll wait for the official 4.0 before updating though.

Anyone know if their are recent Photo Databases to download as well? The user created ones are really the bee's knees.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
One day I'll set up plex. It seems to use metadata over filenames so I kind of find it a bitch since metadata on mp4s seem to be a different beast to set up over mp3's and what not. I haven't had the time to fiddle with it so I just plug my USB drives directly into my player and find them through the folders. Messy, but it works.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
One day I'll set up plex. It seems to use metadata over filenames so I kind of find it a bitch since metadata on mp4s seem to be a different beast to set up over mp3's and what not.
This is off topic, but using PLEX is a breeze. For example, this file:

Matter_of_Life_and_Death_(1946).mp4

turns into this in PLEX, after a media scan. The metadata comes from online sources.

amolad_zpstaju8cdp.jpg

---------------

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just took a brief look at Plex. If I understand it correctly, you have to be able to record the show from an OTA digital antenna on to a DVR, that correct? What about other forms of media I might have, like by blu rays?

If I understand it, it's not primarily meant to be a cataloger of content, but a repository of my content. Where does the content reside?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Most people use Plex as a front end for their ripped media libraries. For example, my Plex server dishes up all of my ripped Blu-rays, DVDs, and music to any device I own that has a Plex client or DLNA client. I can even stream it over the internet when I'm away from home. It's a GREAT app and service, even moreso because it's free unless you want some of its paid features. For most the free version will do everything and anything they need it to.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
If I understand it, it's not primarily meant to be a cataloger of content, but a repository of my content. Where does the content reside?
You're correct, it's a content provider, and that content resides on your PLEX server or on storage that it can access. I use it to make my movies, TV, and music available on my portable devices and as a repository for my DVR recordings. But I still use DVD Profiler to catalog all my movies and TV shows.

---------------

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I believe Plex can also catalog DVDs as you play them. I don't use it for that. I have storage, so I just rip the DVDs to the server.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Glad to hear the site is back up. I was trying to add a title to my collection yesterday, and the application kept locking up. That's when I discovered the site was down.

It's worrisome that the PC application becomes almost useless if the online site is down.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Glad to hear the site is back up. I was trying to add a title to my collection yesterday, and the application kept locking up. That's when I discovered the site was down.

It's worrisome that the PC application becomes almost useless if the online site is down.
The site is still down at this time 4:41 a.m. ET.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

Yet another reason I do not trust the cloud and never use it. If I ever did, it certainly wouldn't be for anything important. Other than antivirus programs, nothing I have or use is cloud-dependent. I don't have to worry about anything getting lost when it's stored on my (all data backed up) hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks