What's new

DVD Forum Cliches (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes! And the red-alerts are loud and clear to the staff.

Re "After Hours regulars," let's be blunt: People who come to Home Theater Forum solely for the purpose of posting in the After Hours Lounge and nowhere else tend to be problems in the long run. Why come here only to post in the off-topic section when there are so many, many general-interest message boards out there?

Agree also about those who post a desperate plea for help about an A/V problem they're experiencing and a number of responses are posted with the author never so much as thanking the membership. We have the best members; treat them with the respect they deserve.

My goodness, I'm ranting.

This will be my last post in this thread. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

That is also why I use it ad-nauseum but with the written word you much of the time have to spell things out a little more clearly because you can't always assume that because you know what your intention is that others will too, also you have to admit that when certain people don't use it it definitely comes off as stating bullheaded fact rather than opinion and that tends to get hackles up.

An example: "I think the film came off pretty good considering the budget they had. The scene with the waitress was hilarious."

"NO it didn't, it was a sack of shit because the director is a hack and the script was meaningless! The scene you mentioned was a total failure on all levels and a waste of celluloid. This film needs burnt and forgotten."

Now while it's obvious that that is clearly his opinion I still think that's a good example of where "IMO" would come in handy....not that posters like that give a damn whether they come off that way, some I'm sure want to piss as many people off as they can.
That's the temptation of the anonymity of the internet I suppose.

I'd rather just use IMO and be done with it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I admit that I often post more in the After Hours lounge than anywhere else, but that's mainly because the After Hours lounge is more "laid back" - I read the DVD sections all the time (here), yet I try not to post too much because of the "pompousness".

What I mean is, it seems like if your not a critic, a die-hard classic film buff, or an owner of a mega-$$ HT, then your opinions tend to either be looked down upon or get lost in the mix.

Often, it's just not worth posting there. - IMHO ;)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Not always true. There are generally a few different strands(levels) of conversation within threads.

I think there are ways of posting a response and have it very clear that it's your opinion without use of acronyms. Just may take a bit of effort and thought. Kevin, your example of a response in quotes is a forum cliche in itself. Posters who blurt out "A sucks", "B should be burnt" without any thoughtful support as to why.
Your example in this quote: "I think the film came off pretty good considering the budget they had. The scene with the waitress was hilarious." The poster gives support to his/her opinion with reasons and example.

I see that a lot. Abrasive, short posts (usually accompanied with exclamation points), trying to downgrade a film, actor, director etc. These kind of posts have absolutely no value. Oh, IMHO, of course. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
MarkHastings, the difference with you is that you do have a presence across the boards here, even if most of your posting activity may be in AH. But, you see, you actually contribute to HTF. Big difference there.

I also like what Kevin said. One of the most tiresome types of posts is from one — usually a teenager — who cannot distinguish between his (or her) opinion from those who possess more informed opinions. They are the ones who tend to post nonsense about Citizen Kane being "overrated" — simply because they didn't like it. This type of member cannot seem to grasp that a film can be a classic even if he or she does not care for it personally.

About three years ago, some kid started a thread here in which he contended that The Godfather is the "worst movie of all time." And why is that? According to this young fellow, there was no "suspense" (he didn't get to have who-dunnit moment) and it was — that favorite fallback among the developmentally challenged — "slow."

Our delightful VickieM took care of the kid, though. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just get this feeling that my opinions don't hold any water in the DVD threads. But that's probably due to the fact that everyones opinion on a movie is quite personal to them. Any time I try to go against the 'norm', it usually ends up in some comment to the fact that I'm either an idiot or I don't know what I'm talking about or I'm just saying it to start controversy.I don't do the looking down, I feel like I am the one being looked down upon. How is that pompous or pretentious?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood the constant use of IMO or IMHO ... who else's opinion would I be giving?

Similarly I've never understood the hostile retort of "Well, that's just YOUR opinion!" Again, who elses opinion would I be giving?

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I'll start with a cliche I use quite often-
my 2 cents-

I always enjoy reading this and other DVD/ movie
boards, so I don't really get annoyed at topics
or things repeated adnauseum, but the one cliche I
don't understand is the people who bitch about the
cover art of a new release. Are these people going
to hang the DVD case in front of their TV/ projector
screens and watch that, or are they going to watch
the DVD itself?

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Regarding "IMHO" and "IMO"... sometimes people post both facts and opinions in the same post. IMHO when properly used serves to differentiate between fact and opinion.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Of course the movie is the most important thing, but I also like an attractive package to house it in, too. I wouldn't pass up a movie based on the cover art. I've never understood the objection to someone saying they don't think much of the cover; I mean, it doesn't automatically mean they don't care chiefly about the film. But apparently, that's the conclusion some people arrive at (you're not the only one).

By this, I think you're making more out of their dislike of a cover than they are!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks