What's new

DVD-Audio: A Booming Format? Or Is It Floundering? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Thank you Yee-Ming! :) Previously, I knew very little about her other than she was one of my favourite jazz singers. Thanks for the pronouciation help too. That is a challenging name!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I think this is just exactly right. The mainstream does not perceive a need for better sounding audio, and nor are they much interested in upgrading back catalogs. I think those of us possessing a rather obsessive interest in this type of thing need to realize that our little passion about music and music reproduction is simply not shared by the masses. Pop FM radio and low-resolution MP3 singles is what music means to the vast majority of listeners.

Ergo, if you want to keep hi-res audio afloat, concentrate on the niche.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I must say, I'm not a fan of Dick Lee, but it wouldn't surprise me that he was involved in writing or producing a Hong Kong star's album. He's quite talented; just not my taste in music. The fact is that any talented Singaporean has to get involved in either the Hong Kong or Taiwan markets, since the home market is just too damn small: with only 3-4 million, selling 50,000 copies of a CD is a local "platinum" award, IIRC. In Jacintha's case, I guess she went even further afield and managed to land a US recording contract: well done!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The new Jacintha album is simply superb. It's great when you find a stellar musical performance and get audiophile sonics to boot.

Good sales will only wake more artists up to the possibility of hirez.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Was at Tower Records in Marina del Rey this past week, the SACD section was three giant bins of content, DVD-Audio was 2 giant bins, with DTS taking up a small bin.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You were in my "'hood," Brian. I'm surprised that this Tower continues to stock as much hi rez as they do. Problem is, so much of the same stuff is obviously still sitting there every time I drop in and cruise that aisle. (Frankly, I keep dreading the drop of the other foot and the closing of this store.)

-p

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My Tower has two whole bins of Pop/Jazz SACD and 1 bin of DVDA plus a whole bin of classical SACD with a deep inventory.

The classical manager has taken a real interest including posting "recommended" reviews on the artist dividers.

DanFe

Second Unit
Ah c'mon, David VP. Tell them what you're really looking for. He really wants to find someone who will do the soundtrack to the Dick Van Dyke show in DVD-A. He has everything else from the show.;)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
It's been a while since I was at that store Paul. When we got the "it's 5 minutes to 10pm, we're closing now" I was like 'hey, Tower is always supposed to be open to midnight'.

Guess times are changing. I saw some new stuff, but not the type of music I'd buy.

Even my local Tower/Good Guys combo, the SACD rack is (I think) on par with DVD-A, each has two bins (and DTS has the 1/2 bin). Why the DTS stuff is even kept around is beyond me...

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member

A DTS-CD cheerleader sez :) : maybe because they can still sound very good; no b.m. problems (can even set up your receiver for "no" sub or center & still get your surround fix); operate just like a CD; can play on any dvd player; no multiple royalty problems. Though IMO about half of the titles stink.

And why is my local Best Buy charging $24(!) for the Fly Like An Eagle disc???

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've also seen BTO, Alan Parsons, Carole King and other DTS discs for $24.99 at Best Buy. Fly Like An Eagle might just be worth it though. It's awesome! They are all $13.99-17.99 elswhere. Can't say why. I own 7-8 Dts discs and love every one of them. Wish they would release more. And yes, half of the titles stink to me too but that can be said about DVD-A, SACD, cd's, tapes, etc. etc. But as long as others like them it's O.K. with me. Except maybe Marmalades Greatest Hits on DVD-A. Why did they even bother? :confused: (just kidding ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks