What's new

Dune: Part Two (2024) (2 Viewers)

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
My bro @Wes Candela , did you see it again at Lincoln Square IMAX?

I am interested in a 2nd viewing (in IMAX 1.43:1). I am looking at Regina's Kramer IMAX.... which extended its Dune: Part 2 run (in dual laser) to March 28.

It's about a 7 hour drive away. My younger son is interested...

;)
Brother @Joe Wong !!!!!
How are you!!

I didn’t go to the Lincoln center. 😢

Pure laziness and hesitation of having to find a seat there.
The theater you're driving to looks beautiful!

Has dual laser, that's going to look gorgeou!! I 🙏 your son comes with!!

tell them what I told my customers when I was bartending when Lord of the Rings came out after seeing "The Two Towers"

"This is a saga… nothing like this has been done before. .Don't miss this on the big screen. you will regret it."

Actually, I saw this teaser for LOTR In the theater.

And the footage rocked my face -off.

but it was the announcement of the three movie and the release schedule at the end of the teaser that blew my mind.

Tell your son that Brother Joe!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just saw it again on Monday evening at the Lincoln Square IMAX (for my 2nd time there) w/ some buddies this time.

Realized that the only moments the AR look closer to scope is whenever we're seeing thru a character's binoculars or spectator glasses (or whatever they're called).

Actually settled for a significantly lesser seat than my usual for this place this time, ie. seat 8 in good row of 42 (where I'd normally only go for the middle 12 seats or so, ie. probably seats 15-28). Image seemed noticeably dimmer and lower in DR/contrast at this (off-)angle along w/ the corresponding perspective distortion(s), which sometimes lends an interesting, different view/experience.

I'll have a good (much better) seat next time, next Tues evening (w/ a different buddy) for my 5th viewing, heh.

Still think the visuals were artistically better/stronger for the 1st film, especially in 1.43:1 IMAX. Think part of the reason for the diff is also that this is much more of an action movie than the 1st one, which spent most of its time in setup and lingering, more static (often more dreamy/dreamscape) imagery w/ more varied settings (that included Caladan and outer-space). Many of the shots in the 1st film, especially in 1.43:1 AR, looked like paintings one would admire, but far less so in this film.

_Man_

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
When DUNE Part One debuted, I gave it a grade of 'Incomplete'. It was decent, well-mounted, but there wasn't enough that was definitive to give it final marks. With Part Two, Director Denis Villenueve earns a solid passing grade.

After a brief prologue, which introduces Florence Pugh as Princess Irulan (this also functions as a tidy recap), the new entry picks up with Paul Atreidies (Timothee Chalamet) and his mother Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson) who have joined forces with Chani (Zendaya), Stilgar (Javier Bardem) and the Freman.

Villenueve and Jon Spaiht's script improves on the pacing of the original, managing to weave in new plot developments and important new characters such as the Emperor (Christopher Walker) and the menacing nephew Feyd-Rautha (Austin Butler) of Baron Harkonnen (a returning Stellan Skarsgard) . The screenplay is still burdened with much exposition and some of the dialogue rings flat. The cast does their best with Butler and Pugh making the strongest impressions of the newcommers. Ferguson is excellent once again. Chalamet is better than in the first half, and grows into the role. Unfortunately, Bardem and Walken are saddled with lesser material.

As a combined film, DUNE is an impressive achievement on a grand scale. Some of the Greig Fraser's cinematography is a bit too murky at times, but otherwise quite solid. The production design, sound, costumes, VFX, Zimmer's score - all set a high standard.

For hard SF fans, the fantasy elements may create a certain distance with their amorphous and seemingly flexible rules. Unless one is truly steeped in Frank Herbert's mythos, the details often create more confusion than cohesion; Not to mention that the 'ending' truly isn't -- as there are five more original books to go. For all the criticism the 1984 David Lynch version gets, he did manage to distill it into a coherent enough film that runs less than two and a half hours. The collective Dune here runs over five. Obviously, there are many more details explored, but there are times where it hinders the overall dramatic rhythm.

All that noted, Villeneuve can hold his head up high. His two-parter is a good attempt at adapting a dense series of novels which have gained their own mythic status. If there are to be more Dune filmed adaptations, Villenueve can walk away proud of his accomplishment.

Dune4.jpg

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Brother @Joe Wong !!!!!
How are you!!

I didn’t go to the Lincoln center. 😢

Pure laziness and hesitation of having to find a seat there.
The theater you're driving to looks beautiful!

Has dual laser, that's going to look gorgeou!! I 🙏 your son comes with!!

tell them what I told my customers when I was bartending when Lord of the Rings came out after seeing "The Two Towers"

"This is a saga… nothing like this has been done before. .Don't miss this on the big screen. you will regret it."

Actually, I saw this teaser for LOTR In the theater.

And the footage rocked my face -off.

but it was the announcement of the three movie and the release schedule at the end of the teaser that blew my mind.

View attachment 216972

Tell your son that Brother Joe!

I am doing well, my friend! How are you, sir?

I was hoping to go to Regina for my 2nd viewing this weekend, but we're in the midst of several days of snow (10 inches have already fallen!) and the roads are bad. Am planning to leave either Sunday or Monday.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Just saw it again on Monday evening at the Lincoln Square IMAX (for my 2nd time there) w/ some buddies this time.

Realized that the only moments the AR look closer to scope is whenever we're seeing thru a character's binoculars or spectator glasses (or whatever they're called).

Actually settled for a significantly lesser seat than my usual for this place this time, ie. seat 8 in good row of 42 (where I'd normally only go for the middle 12 seats or so, ie. probably seats 15-28). Image seemed noticeably dimmer and lower in DR/contrast at this (off-)angle along w/ the corresponding perspective distortion(s), which sometimes lends an interesting, different view/experience.

I'll have a good (much better) seat next time, next Tues evening (w/ a different buddy) for my 5th viewing, heh.

Still think the visuals were artistically better/stronger for the 1st film, especially in 1.43:1 IMAX. Think part of the reason for the diff is also that this is much more of an action movie than the 1st one, which spent most of its time in setup and lingering, more static (often more dreamy/dreamscape) imagery w/ more varied settings (that included Caladan and outer-space). Many of the shots in the 1st film, especially in 1.43:1 AR, looked like paintings one would admire, but far less so in this film.

_Man_
You are rocking it Man!!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a really good discussion with Villeneuve.

And here is one with Greg Fraser about the cinematography:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I am doing well, my friend! How are you, sir?

I was hoping to go to Regina for my 2nd viewing this weekend, but we're in the midst of several days of snow (10 inches have already fallen!) and the roads are bad. Am planning to leave either Sunday or Monday.

We did it! @Wes Candela

We drove to Regina on Monday to catch the 8:50pm show.

The journey itself was an adventure. Our first time using an electric vehicle on a road trip, and it turns out that we had to basically stop every hour or so to top up the charge! Each stop to charge took around 25-45 minutes, which is not what I had planned for.

We left around 8:20am, with about 7.5 hours actual driving time. But because of all the stops to charge, and other delays that added up (and seemed to conspire against us!), we pushed it right down to the wire and got to the IMAX theatre at 8:47pm!! It was touch and go whether we would make it as the hours piled up during the afternoon.

The movie itself was great (for the 2nd time). The pacing was more balanced than the first film, with the action scenes and visual splendors perfectly blended with the dialogue and exposition (whereas the first half of Part 1 was mostly exposition and world building). The sound didn’t seem as visceral as the show I saw in Toronto, but that could just be my fuzzy audio memory. The presentation was still excellent, though because it was just shot digitally, the resolution wasn’t as good as a film shot in 15/70mm (like Oppenheimer).

I will say there are a lot of facial close-ups, as well as other dialogue scenes, in 1.43:1. Probably not the best use of the expanded ratio. And because most of the film is in 1.9:1, it’s already a pretty big frame that fills much of the screen. But when it expands to 1.43:1, it is still very noticeable. And the worm ride, the arena scene, and the end battle are still awe-inspiring in 1.43:1.

And as for my son? He said it was amazing, with the last 45 min some of the best stuff he’s ever seen. Well worth the road trip.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That is combining the grosses of Part One and Part Two to arrive at a billion dollar gross for the entire franchise. Part Two alone is currently at $577 million and change worldwide.

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.06.40 PM.png

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That is combining the grosses of Part One and Part Two to arrive at a billion dollar gross for the entire franchise. Part Two alone is currently at $577 million and change worldwide.

View attachment 217748

I guess that's why the title of the article Sam linked to says "Dune Franchise." ;)

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
We did it! @Wes Candela

We drove to Regina on Monday to catch the 8:50pm show.

The journey itself was an adventure. Our first time using an electric vehicle on a road trip, and it turns out that we had to basically stop every hour or so to top up the charge! Each stop to charge took around 25-45 minutes, which is not what I had planned for.

We left around 8:20am, with about 7.5 hours actual driving time. But because of all the stops to charge, and other delays that added up (and seemed to conspire against us!), we pushed it right down to the wire and got to the IMAX theatre at 8:47pm!! It was touch and go whether we would make it as the hours piled up during the afternoon.

The movie itself was great (for the 2nd time). The pacing was more balanced than the first film, with the action scenes and visual splendors perfectly blended with the dialogue and exposition (whereas the first half of Part 1 was mostly exposition and world building). The sound didn’t seem as visceral as the show I saw in Toronto, but that could just be my fuzzy audio memory. The presentation was still excellent, though because it was just shot digitally, the resolution wasn’t as good as a film shot in 15/70mm (like Oppenheimer).

I will say there are a lot of facial close-ups, as well as other dialogue scenes, in 1.43:1. Probably not the best use of the expanded ratio. And because most of the film is in 1.9:1, it’s already a pretty big frame that fills much of the screen. But when it expands to 1.43:1, it is still very noticeable. And the worm ride, the arena scene, and the end battle are still awe-inspiring in 1.43:1.

And as for my son? He said it was amazing, with the last 45 min some of the best stuff he’s ever seen. Well worth the road trip.
Oh my brother good to hear from you. I haven’t checked in for a little bit. This is great news. I’m so glad to hear you. Did it for brother Joe!!!!
and your son came!!!!!
And he loved it!!!!!

I’m sure the audio was not as spectacular during this viewing, the sound mix to this movie is intense so if you feel like your heart was beating along with the soundtrack, I’m sure there was a difference in quality of
rhe sound.
visually, I’m interested to hear more about what you thought

How was the resolution compared to your first viewing?

That final battle man…..
jaw dropping

it looks like the movie is going to top out at about $550 million worldwide

So looks like my projections were a little off (I said 1 billion hahahaha)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Those are weekend estimates but the actuals will be very close. Hopefully it will have a strong hold next weekend.

Based on this opening, domestic total should be about $250 million.
Looks like it’s going to end up better than I predicted. Probably around $275 million domestic.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Oh my brother good to hear from you. I haven’t checked in for a little bit. This is great news. I’m so glad to hear you. Did it for brother Joe!!!!
and your son came!!!!!
And he loved it!!!!!

I’m sure the audio was not as spectacular during this viewing, the sound mix to this movie is intense so if you feel like your heart was beating along with the soundtrack, I’m sure there was a difference in quality of
rhe sound.
visually, I’m interested to hear more about what you thought

How was the resolution compared to your first viewing?

That final battle man…..
jaw dropping

So looks like my projections were a little off (I said 1 billion hahahaha)

Hey bro!

Visually it was as amazing as the first viewing. Those 1.43:1 scenes at the Giedi Prime arena and of the worms are hard to top!

Worldwide total is already nearly $580 million. There’s probably another $40 million or so left domestic-wise. Let’s say another $30 million international. That means it will get to $650 million (give or take). Not bad for a dense, complex, almost 3-hour film!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
High praise from Spielberg:
More interesting than the article is the actual full conversation between Spielberg and Villeneuve where he said that. You can find it wherever you get podcasts as an episode of The Director's Cut DGA podcast. It's a little more than half an hour.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Huh?

It's already at $581 million worldwide as of now and counting.

From The Numbers:

Screen Shot 2024-03-28 at 2.17.39 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks