What's new

Dune: Part Two (2024) (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wish! I got tickets for the "IMAX" showing and arrived to find it to be a lie-max theater. Not a true IMAX screen at all.

Is it actually the screen (or whole setup/theater) not being true (large, 1.43:1) IMAX or is it they didn't (or no longer) have 15/70mm film PJ capability, which was apparently required for Dune 2?

IIRC, someone earlier mentioned their 1.43:1 IMAX theater couldn't show it in that AR/format, but only 1.9:1, because the theater didn't have 15/70mm capability (anymore?) vs dual 4K laser.

I arrived before the start time, because thinking this would be IMAX I expected it to be like your experience. Commercials before the feature were playing on a loop and we saw each one twice. Then once showtime passed they proceeded to play 32(!) minutes of previews and more AMC ads. After all that, and the movie finally started playing, the baby in the corner of the theater started crying. This is why I have a f'king home theater.

Yeah, that probably happened for my one digital, 1.9:1 IMAX screening as well, except no crying babies... and I ran very late and got there just as the movie began, so I missed all the trailers/ads -- that was my 2nd viewing, partly to try out 1.9:1 IMAX for this, so I wasn't quite that concerned about likely missing a few minutes of the beginning, which I ended up not actually missing anyway.

I do usually aim to miss the first 10min or so knowing most screenings come w/ at least 15-20min of trailers/ads...

Anyway, as I also mentioned earlier, IMHO, this one seemed to benefit much less from the taller 1.43:1 AR than Part 1. Outside of a couple very brief, non-critical moments, it very often felt better composed for 1.9:1 than 1.43:1 IIRC. Of course, even Part 1 didn't really have quite that many nor lengthy moments that benefited greatly from 1.43:1... but I did also find the shifting AR more impactful for Part 1 since the shift was far more dramatic from 2.4:1 instead of 1.9:1 for rest of the movie...

_Man_

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Is it actually the screen (or whole setup/theater) not being true (large, 1.43:1) IMAX or is it they didn't (or no longer) have 15/70mm film PJ capability, which was apparently required for Dune 2?

IIRC, someone earlier mentioned their 1.43:1 IMAX theater couldn't show it in that AR/format, but only 1.9:1, because the theater didn't have 15/70mm capability (anymore?) vs dual 4K laser.

Yeah, that probably happened for my one digital, 1.9:1 IMAX screening as well, except no crying babies... and I ran very late and got there just as the movie began, so I missed all the trailers/ads -- that was my 2nd viewing, partly to try out 1.9:1 IMAX for this, so I wasn't quite that concerned about likely missing a few minutes of the beginning, which I ended up not actually missing anyway.

I do usually aim to miss the first 10min or so knowing most screenings come w/ at least 15-20min of trailers/ads...

Anyway, as I also mentioned earlier, IMHO, this one seemed to benefit much less from the taller 1.43:1 AR than Part 1. Outside of a couple very brief, non-critical moments, it very often felt better composed for 1.9:1 than 1.43:1 IIRC. Of course, even Part 1 didn't really have quite that many nor lengthy moments that benefited greatly from 1.43:1... but I did also find the shifting AR more impactful for Part 1 since the shift was far more dramatic from 2.4:1 instead of 1.9:1 for rest of the movie...

_Man_

Yeah, it's like a treasure hunt to see which cinemas will be able to project the 1.43:1 scenes.

In terms of projection, you need a 15/70mm or dual laser setup.

And then, for screen, you need one that can allow for a full height (giant) 1.43:1 image, so that a 2.35:1 or 1.90:1 frame expands up (and down) to fill the screen. Most "true" IMAX screens have a roughly 4:3 ratio, which is pretty close to 1.43:1.

One anomaly is the TCL Chinese Theatre in LA... which has a roughly 2:1 screen (94×46 ft) but I believe they mask the sides for a 15/70mm presentation.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Commercials before the feature were playing on a loop and we saw each one twice. Then once showtime passed they proceeded to play 32(!) minutes of previews and more AMC ads. After all that, and the movie finally started playing, the baby in the corner of the theater started crying. This is why I have a f'king home theater.

This is why I roll my eyes when industry folks like Martin Scorsese or Ridley Scott go on about people needing to go to the cinema to see movies instead of watching them at home. They don't have to suffer through the shit we plebians have to.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This is why I roll my eyes when industry folks like Martin Scorsese or Ridley Scott go on about people needing to go to the cinema to see movies instead of watching them at home. They don't have to suffer through the shit we plebians have to.
Plus, people like Scorsese and Scott, screen films in their homes, in fancy theaters, maybe with actual film projectors. They ain't trudging down to the local AMC every time they want to watch a movie.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It was the theater. It was a slightly larger screen than normal but not the giant screen. No wall of speakers behind the screen, no steep seating, just the regular sloped seats. I got rows further back because they tend to be better for the steep IMAX theater setting. However these were back far enough due to the normal slope that the screen occupied about the same field of view as my home theater projection screen does.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Plus, people like Scorsese and Scott, screen films in their homes, in fancy theaters, maybe with actual film projectors. They ain't trudging down to the local AMC every time they want to watch a movie.
I dunno. Those loyalty cup refill deals are a pretty big draw.

Avatrox

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Amazing film, but I have two minor visual gripes:

1.- The open wide scenes showing the Fremen cities looked fake, like a videogame

2.- The entire sequence of the arena fight (the black and white scene) was totally out of place and cartoonish, just an excuse to show us how "scary" and "dangerous" Elvis is.

Besides that, a really powerful film.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Amazing film, but I have two minor visual gripes:

1.- The open wide scenes showing the Fremen cities looked fake, like a videogame

2.- The entire sequence of the arena fight (the black and white scene) was totally out of place and cartoonish, just an excuse to show us how "scary" and "dangerous" Elvis is.

Besides that, a really powerful film.
To each his own, or to each their own, I should say, but… I loved the visual decisions made on all fronts and found them to be extraordinary in detail, and the choice to use black and white was brilliant.

But to each their own

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think it was important for us to see that because it establishes the stakes for the end of the film when Feyd-Rautha fights Paul. We need to understand how good of a fighter he is in order for their fight scene to have maximum impact. We know Paul's visions dictate that he will survive the final fight because he has seen past it to the holy war in his name. But the narrative still needs us to be invested in the fight and to feel like it is important. if we've never seen Feyd-Rautha fight before, we wouldn't understand the significance of him, physically, as an opponent for Paul. It also makes Paul's ability to best him more impressive if we've seen what he has done to his other opponents.

Also, I know you called him Elvis because it's Austin Butler. But if I hadn't known in advance that it was Austin Butler, I would never have guessed it was the same actor. He really transformed for both roles. His ability to play both is a testament to his work ethic and incredible range.

Last edited:

Avatrox

Auditioning
Real Name
John
To each his own, or to each their own, I should say, but… I loved the visual decisions made on all fronts and found them to be extraordinary in detail, and the choice to use black and white was brilliant.

But to each their own
I'm not complaining about the color, it's because the entire set looks artificial like a videogame, especially the crowd.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, I know you called him Elvis because it's Austin Butler. But if I hadn't known in advance that it was Austin Butler, I would never have guessed it was the same actor. He really transformed for both roles. His ability to play both is a testament to his work ethic and incredible range.
Absolutely agree. This isn't meant to be a backhanded compliment to Butler but with Elvis, I wondered if maybe that was a case of the right actor in the right part so it worked well but to me, this performance proves that Butler is a fantastic actor. I'm sure that he will be working with big name directors in big movies for years to come.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I'm not complaining about the color, it's because the entire set looks artificial like a videogame, especially the crowd.
Yeah, gotcha I’ll have to check it again.
I was too enthralled

and personal politics, I love black-and-white

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I noticed on eBay tonight that someone is selling a CD copy of the Dune Part Two soundtrack "from Poland." I have no idea if this is legitimate or not and wouldn't consider a purchase without knowing for sure. I'm not bringing this up in order to convince anybody to buy anything.

If it is authentic, then It is interesting that some countries are getting a physical release while others don't appear to have one in the cards. I have streamed the album a number of times but have not seen anything about a physical CD release in the United States. I would very much like one to go with my soundtrack for Part One, even if it is an MOD CD-R or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks