What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Dune (2021) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hasn’t happened with them yet (unless the IMAX edition was already the default digital version) but it would be cool to see.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hope they don't restrict the IMAX variable AR to digital/streaming only. I may withhold buying the 4K disc in that case...

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The variable AR's have sometimes appeared on the 3D versions, such as with Disney/Marvel.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The last comparable example we have for Warner and this would be Aquaman 3D - the disc packaging explicitly stated both the 2D and 3D discs would have shifting aspect ratios but only the 2D disc did. I sent several customer service inquiries to Warner through different contacts I’ve had over the years and all were radio silence when asked about that. No one would respond whether it was an error in the disc authoring (maybe someone pulled the wrong master?) or a misprint on the packaging.

We know that Amazon France was given specs stating that their 4K/3D combo pack had shifting ratios. The back cover packaging for the domestic version doesn’t state an aspect ratio at all.

I think it’s reasonable to be cautiously optimistic that it’ll be shifting ARs on the disc but not an outright guarantee.

The difference between this and Villanueve’s Blade Runner 2049 is that the 2.40:1 aspect ratio was the preferred ratio for the filmmakers on BR2049 (it was merely opened up from 2.40 to 1.90 vs being shot with different equipment for different sizes at different points), whereas on Dune they specifically used IMAX cameras for select sequences so there was a lot more intention behind the framing choices there.

There are a lot of data points here from all of this to make what it’ll be a bit of a tossup until we can actually take a look at it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hope they don't restrict the IMAX variable AR to digital/streaming only. I may withhold buying the 4K disc in that case...
Are you worried about this because Disney made the choice to restrict the IMAX aspect ratio to Disney+ on the MCU films?

WB does not have to follow their lead. I doubt they would do that. The film was already on HBO Max once and my understanding is that it was in scope there. I'm just guessing here, but I think it will reappear on HBO Max in due course in the same condition as it was on there the first time.

Obviously, the most ideal result would be for the Blu-ray release to include discs with both the consistent scope ratio and the shifting IMAX aspect ratio so that the viewer can choose which viewing mode they prefer. Of course, I realize that is extremely unlikely. But that is how I would handle releases with multiple aspect ratios if I were in charge of them.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The initial HBO Max release of Dune was constant height 2.35:1.

Warner is being very inconsistent with how they treat these IMAX VAR movies on HBO Max. For example, the initial HBO Max run for Wonder Woman 1984 was variable ratio (the opening scene and the final shot in full-screen 16:9), but after the movie left the service and came back again, it's been constant height 2.35:1 ever since.

The Batman v. Superman Ultimate Edition has a unique release on HBO Max that shifts from 2.35:1 to some scenes that are 1.90:1 windowboxed within that frame (bars on all four sides). Meanwhile, the same movie has an IMAX Enhanced disc release and other paid streaming options that shift from 2.35:1 to full-height 4:3 (bars only on the left and right).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm just damn pleased to see any 3D release from a major studio anymore. Wish Disney would return to the format.

This is Black Friday, and I was in Best Buy (only to look for CD media, which they no longer stock) and walked past a display of 65" OLED's, noting that their price was $1,799! That's a good holiday deal? The OLED I bought four years ago has 3D as well as 4K, and cost me the very same amount.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another excited for this release as I very much liked the movie. I seem to be an unabashed Villaneuve fan, though, because I even like the films of his I've seen that were criticized heavily (BR 2049). Just bummed the next entry isn't until 2023.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just bummed the next entry isn't until 2023.
Considering that they haven't actually started filming yet and won't be able to until next summer, 2023 is actually going to be a really fast turnaround time to get the movie made, especially for something that is this big In scale.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Considering that they haven't actually started filming yet and won't be able to until next summer, 2023 is actually going to be a really fast turnaround time to get the movie made, especially for something that is this big In scale.
Right. We're lucky it's not 2024 or 25.

That said, I do wish Warner had greenlit the two (or three) movies at the same time, so they could have filmed back-to-back, like Lord of the Rings. I know Dune can be a tough sell with audiences, but don't forget that LOTR was too. The animated movie in 1978 was considered a box office failure, and the books were long considered unfilmable.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The point about not greenlighting the sequel(s) at the same time as the first was my point. I realize a two year turnaround is fast, but this could have been mitigated had the studio backed all of the films from the beginning.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Here's hoping they get it done for end of 2023 (or maybe early 2024)... though it might not be too realistic... :huh:

BTW, I finally got around to watching David Lynch's Dune for the 1st time (via HBO Max), and yeah, that was quite some mess of an adaptation, especially what should've been the 2nd half that got compressed into 30-40min, NVM the poor SFX and often rather low budget looking sets and designs (and over-reliance on voiceover narration)... No wonder it got panned so badly...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I pre-ordered the Blu-ray from Amazon for the time being. If orders for the steelbook return to Best Buy's website and I am able to snag one of those, I'll cancel and switch over for that. If not, I'll at least have the movie coming to me on street date.

On another note, from the press release: "On December 3, “Dune” will be available for early Premium Digital Ownership at home for $29.99 and for 48-hour rental via PVOD for $24.99 SRP on participating digital platforms where you purchase movies."

That's a price hike. The majority of PVOD rentals during the COVID era have been $19.99 for a 48-hour rental.

Also, Target has listed an exclusive Blu-ray+DVD+digital edition for pre-order. The cover is slightly different, but I'm not sure what else is exclusive about it. The regular edition from Amazon is also listed as containing Blu-ray+DVD+digital. It would be nice if Target would detail what exactly is exclusive about their edition.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For those who missed the Best Buy steelbook (or one of the other international steelbook variants), it looks like there is going to be another release coming soon from Hong Kong.

Unfortunately, they're just using the artwork from the front of the standard Blu-ray. I don't like that design as much as the earlier steelbook, which is why I paid extra to get the original steelbook from Best Buy.

I think it is easily the least impressive front artwork for any of the four steelbook editions designed for this film (Best Buy had a single one domestically and the others were international exclusives.)

But if you like this art and really want to have Dune in a steelbook format, here's the link:

www.steelbook.com/releases/dune/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks