What's new

Dummy attempting to calibrate TV (1 Viewer)

Jonathan L

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I have a Sony WEGA 27FS100 that you can't pry me away from. I picked up the Ovation Sound & Vision HT Tune Up disc...my question is regarding Contrast/Picture. All of the other calibrations are fine, but I don't think I completely know what I'm looking for during the contrast test.

As it stands, my contrast is set fairly high (over the 50% mark on the slider), while brightness and sharpness are below the 50% mark and match up with the test patterns quite well.

Could somebody explain what I need to be looking for while setting contrast? I understand that I need to be looking for "blooming" in the test pattern, but even with the contrast turned all the way up, the pattern never appears to "bloom".

Thanks!
Jon

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The test tells you where not to set the contrast, not where you really need to set it.

You need a light meter to actually do it right.

However ... because you don't have that ... use the following rules of thumb ...

50% or less
And if it hurts/irritates your eyes to look at the 100 bright white pattern ... then your contrast is too high.

Regards

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if S&V has a "Gray Steps" pattern, as I use AVIA, VE, and various signal generators.
If so, use that to see a defined difference in the steps, particularly at 80 to 90, and 90 to 100.
The idea is to not crush white details by having Contrast too high. If you can't tell with a Needle Pulse pattern due to no change in the pattern despite contrast level, then
use the steps. If they are not present on S&V, it might be time to step up to AVIA in preparation for your next display device.

Jonathan L

Stunt Coordinator
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your help. I went back and dialed the contrast down to 50%, and worked from there. The S&V disc does indeed use a step/bar pattern. After turning the contrast down, I see what you are talking about...a much more defined delineation between the bars. I also immediately noticed the "softness" of the image as compared to previously. I'll have to throw in some of my movies and take a look, but the image already looks a lot more natural.

Thanks again!

Jon

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You should also redo your brightness setting after doing the contrast since that will likely change along w/ contrast.

_Man_

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
It would not change if the set has decent DC Restoration and was properly set to begin with. The point where Black Level is set at is the reference for the dynamic range offset that Contrast creates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks