What's new

DUKES SEASON 2: Bonus preview clips! (1 Viewer)

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator
Greg_S_H:

As for the ranking of the seasons, it's a tough call. I noticed comments about Seasons 6 & 7 being a little over the top, but then you must consider that there were some EXCELLENT episodes in both of those latter seasons. As a matter of fact, Season 6 featured some of their best episodes in the entire series run:

-Too Many Rosco's, featuring a great performance by James Best in a dual role, playing both Rosco and his evil look-a-like.
-Enos's Last Chance, a surprisingly serious plot made even better with the references to the old "Enos" show where a hitman Enos jailed while in Los Angeles returns for revenge.
-Undercover Dukes, a 2-part episode that very well could be one of their best ever, where the Dukes return to the NASCAR circuit working undercover for federal agents to bust a racketeer.
-Lulu's Gone Away, the season 6 opener featuring a great performance by Lulu, Peggy Rea.
-Brotherly Love, where Luke's long lost brother returns seeking help from the Duke Family.
-Boss Behind Bars, Dead And Alive and Targets: Daisy & Lulu: each of these episodes absolutely hillarious with the interaction between Booke and Best.

Season 7 did feature some outrageous episodes, like the alien episode and the robot one, but there was a late, final burst of creative energy found in this season:

-Happy Birthday, General Lee: the Season 7 opener is a time capsule episode that retraces the origins of the General Lee (really fun show!)
-Welcome, Waylon Jennings: finally, the long-time narrator of the show becomes the center of the plot
-Cool Hands, Bo & Luke: the Dukes, along with Rosco and Boss, wind up on the Osage County Road Gang! Hillarious!
-Go West, Young Dukes: the Dukes, Cooter, Boss and Rosco play their ancestors, 1800s style, to find that their relatives were fighting even back then.
-Enos and Daisy's Wedding: another great show detailing this continual plot story.

As for ranking the seasons, it's tough, but I'll list them this way:

1. Season 2 & 3 (tie)
2. Season 4
3. Season 1
4. Season 6
5. Season 7
6. Season 5

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff*H: Both "Mean Green Machine" episodes were done with Coy and Vance. The plot for the return episode went something like this: once Bo and Luke returned, Boss plans to foreclose on Cooter's garage because Cooter owes a ballooned mortgage payment. Things are made worse when the Dukes' race-car friend utilizes Cooter's services, and the race-car driver's assistant sabotages the repair job and places the blame on Cooter.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I remember alot of them episodes Mark ... that once you mentioned them :) Great stuff esp. the Nascar 2 parter.

Ed_City

Agent
Oh man, Season 7 is wicked!

The best episodes are "Robot P. Coltrane", the alien episode, and the one where Luke goes bananas after drinking the poison water ("Dr. Jeckyll and Mr Duke"?).

Another rad thing about Season 7 that makes it such a cult classic is that dinky models were used for a lot of the jumps. I guess they had totalled most of the stunt cars by that point ...

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the use of the 'miniatures' for the car jumps definitely made Season 7 unique. Not every episode in Season 7 used them, but too many of them did. The seventh season is definitely worth seeing, though...its humor is campy and it still probably beats most of the useless drivel airing on the television nowadays.

Why can't Warner speed the DUKES releases up? First season was June '04, second season January '05. I guess it's not too bad, but with five more seasons to go, it seems like forever. Let's not forget that the feature film version of the DUKES will be released this summer in theaters...starring Sean William Scott, Jessica Simpson, Johnny Knoxville, Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson. With a cast like that, there is bound to be tons of focus on the DUKES this year. Perhaps that will cause Warner to release the DVD's quickly to cash in on the movie publicity?

From my understanding, Season 1 did incredibly well, and I presume Season 2 will enjoy the same success. I'm hoping, based on the six month model Warner seems to be following for the DUKES, that we have Season 3 in June or July and Season 4 in time for the holidays.

Thoughts? I'm also curious to hear whether others would definitely buy Season 5 with Coy and Vance.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
The summer and winter release schedule seems like a fairly accurate prediction, as it could tie into the movie and DVD release dates. A movie release of an old TV Show is always good for its DVD hopes!

Thanks for the detailed analyses of the Dukes seasons. Unfortunately, I was really young for most of the run so my mom would let me listen to the theme song and then I had to go to bed! Seasons 6 and 7 were the only ones I really saw and I liked them just fine.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I would agree with your "Dukes" DVD timeline, Mark. The next 2 releases (3 and 4) will coincide with the movie's theatrical and DVD release, most likely. And I would say that if they have done 4 seasons, they will eventually do all 7.

Guess my memory slipped a little, especially where that season was concerned.
You did mention some good episodes from seasons 6 and 7, but the majority of the episodes I found to be really lame, whereas the earlier seasons had very few lame episodes and the majority were good.
One more episode that I loved, which I believe was season 4, was the 2-hour one where Rosco won some type of lottery, and made Boss work for him.
Hadn't actually even seen "Robot P. Coltrane" from season 7, and probably just as well...:)

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff*H: Yeah, the episode of which you speak is a great one! It's called "10 Million Dollar Sheriff" and it's a 2-parter. And you are right, that particular episode does come from Season 4.

So you seem to come from the thought that we will see all seven seasons of the DUKES? Warner must release all seven seasons! What do you think the chances are of getting the reunion movies on DVD?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

I think the chances of seeing those released are better than even, given the popularity of the DVD sets, and the upcoming movies. However, I completely doubt they will be released as part of season 7; they will come separately, and possibly even before the 7th season, to cash in on the Dukes' momentum from the movie. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised, if they are indeed released, to see them show up later this year...
A lot of it depends on the production company that made the movies; is it the same exact production that made the TV episodes (which I believe, if memory serves, was Lou Step Productions or something). Does Warner Bros. hold the release rights to the movies, as they do the episodes, or does the production company? I think that will dictate plans, too. Bottom line is: if there's money to be made (which there most certainly is), you should expect them to be released.
I remember enjoying the first Dukes TV movie, but the Hollywood one didn't do much for me (I think that one was made after Denver Pyle died).

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I watched the Hollywood movie last night and it was made after Denver passed... they had a tribute screen at the end. I liked the 1st movie more but the 2nd one is still very enjoyable. Enos as a stud muffin LOL:laugh:

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, to my knowledge, I am 99.9% sure that the reunion movies were produced by the original production company, as people like Gy Waldron, etc. from the original series were involved with the reunion shows as well.

The first reunion show was done nicely...even though the unfortunate passing of Sorrell Booke was quite noticeable in that one. The tribute they did, featuring Rosco talking sentimentally to the painting of Boss hanging in his office, was a nice touch.

The second reunion movie was a stretch...one less original cast member in Denver Pyle...but I'd still buy it. LOL

I always wished they would have done a retrospective thing instead, kinda like they did recently with Carol Burnett and Friends.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Maybe on the last season set they will have some tributes. Damn I can't wait to get my hands on season 2 tomorrow.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I would be great to see seasons 3 and 4 by years end and have them finish it up next year.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Cool. Sounds like the best is yet to come, and won't it be fine. I'm thinking I'll definitely get 5 and 6, and I'll let my enjoyment of 6 determine if I want 7. Of course, by the time I've got the rest, I'll almost certainly have to have the last.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Well its finally here :D And with a snow storm tomorrow I'll be watching this along with my MacGyver set :D

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator
Roger...how is the set? I'm on my way to pick it up after work!! Give us your review on quality, packaging, etc.!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I picked up my set today here in Denver at Best Buy (where, by the way, it was NOT located anywhere in the TV section, but only on the new release shelf).
I've only watched the disc 4 featurette on the Hazzard Reunion Derby or whatever, and it was pretty interesting watching the stunt car show, and how they jump and flip those cars like they were Matchbox vehicles. Pretty interesting, although they repeat the footage a bit much throughout the thing. There are also some little moments with cast members Catherine Bach, Ben Jones, James Best, and Sonny Shroyer. From comments they made, it sounds like the first DVD set was already out, and this was filmed especially for vol. 2 some time last summer or fall.
The featurette wasn't as entertaining as vol. 1's feature, but I still enjoyed it, and appreciate the fact that Warner Bros. went the extra mile to give the consumer some added value to the set instead of just the episodes. Now I am on to the episodes and the screen tests...

Enjoy!

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I bought it today...and the packaging once again is superb! A great cast photo inside...and nice pictures (some never before seen) to add to it all.

The picture quality is crystal clear, so much better than my old VHS tapes, of course! And I thought the mono soundtrack sounded better than Season 1's track.

All in all...Warner did us DUKES fans right. Thank you! And go buy this one...the episodes are great!

Now bring on Seasons 3-7, and fast!

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Yeah I've been out and haven't had a chance to really look at it but I did play it to see what the video quality is like very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks