What's new
World Wide Stereo

Dual Subwoofer configurations... (1 Viewer)

BrianWH

Agent
What are the benefits of connecting two identical subs? How would they be connected to the AVR? Use different cross-over settings on each?

Looking into doubling up on my Boston Acoustics VR500.

Thanks,
Brian

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
You would connect them with a Y-connector. Dual identical subs will gain you some head room by adding a few dBs of SPL. You would also want to use the same crossover point.

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Some rooms prohibit the Sub placement at the front or the side. If the sub has to be placed close to the seating position at the back, the "non-locateability" suffers, when the rumble starts ;) The sub then gets noticeable.

In that case, I would recommend to install a second sub to better spread the bass waves in the room. The setup may become a problem though and needs carefull attention.

BrianWH

Agent
I was planning on stacking the subs on top of each other (in corner on same wall as TV). Would placing them on opposite sides of the TV be better or worse?

Thanks for the feedback!

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
If they are placed at front, the close positioning would get you an increase of total SPL.
It should be easy to test both setups and chose the better one for your room. Each room is a little different, that's why it's so hard to predict which setup would be better for you.

Are the Boston Subs shielded ?
If not, the distance to the TV should'nt go below 2 feet...

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Yeah play with both options and see what works best for your room. there is no right or wrong.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brian,

Axel’s right that different rooms have different requirements. However, in most rooms that are not symmetrical there will be only one location that works best, and it’s best to put both subs side by side or stacked there.

Feel free to experiment, as everyone has suggested, but in most rooms the best location is in the corner that has the longest uninterrupted wall lengths in both directions. Typically this gives the most output and the deepest extension, and response is less ragged. Corner placement will often give a large peak or two, but those can be easily tamed with a parametric equalizer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
I also agree with a stacking or side by side arrangement; I have 2 identical subs and I would be much better off having them both in the same location if that were possible based on measurements I took. I can not do that with my current "box speaker" setup, but plan to switch to an IB setup to fix that problem as soon as I get motivated.

To see what I mean, look at my site under measurements.

My Site

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks