What's new

DTS Laserdiscs....... (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
Mark......

Is there a review of that iScan Ultra anywhere? I take it, it only does NTSC sources. So could it be possible to use it with a multistandard TV. My Panansonic does the 2 versions of NTSC and of course PAL as well.

Does it help with the composite artifects that you can see on small details, like the Brachosaur's skin on the JP ld?

But that 4x3 to 16:9 scaling sounds great. Have you tried that feature with non-anamorphic DVD's? If so.... any improvement?

A word to all you format/LD bashers...

Just because LD has been replaced with DVD, does'nt mean LD is just DEAD full stop. They DO sound better than DVD's, especially DTS LD's. Thats why I started this thread, I was listening to DTS DVD's for about 2 years before i ever heard a DTS LD, and the LD's are most definitley better.

One small question to you format bashers..
Do any of you own a record player?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
iScan Ultra review. Not really a review but a test of its deinterlacing capability, only. Try a Google for a review.

iScan @ Home Theater Secrets

DVDO home page

I do believe it does PAL too. Yes I've used it with non-anamorphic dvds too. Works great!

It even has a feature to 'correct' the Chroma Upsample Bug if your dvd player has it, most do.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Yes, i own a record player. Record players were hugely popular and anyone who was into music had one. Can we say the same about movies and Laserdisc? All the posts that have a go about format bashing forget one thing. It is them who constantly make a point of mentioning LD's superior sound.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Lets not forget that DTS LD bitrate was 1234kbps. So they were not full bitrate like many think they are. So this nullifys our trolls post that with fullbitrate DTS dvd, LD lose the advantage they had. LD never had a bitrate advantage. The advantage DTS LD has is that DTS did the mix and encoding themselves and put care into them.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
At the risk of being sarcastic the people I know who are always putting down laserdisc, dts laserdisc etc...are the ones who strictly watch dvd's on their pc and next to the mouse is a bottle of oxy-10 acne wash. :b

And I'm not trying to disrespect home theater pc's...I have one too. But in no way does it or will it ever deliver the resolution or high end sound that my dedicated home theater system does.

I think this is one of the factors Warner Bros. doesn't do dts. They know alot of people (kids & adults) use their computers for dvd viewing. Does it really matter to include another sound option? I say yes!

I love the dvd format with it's clean images and cool features. Since it's so popular now, it has been dumbed down somewhat for the masses.

The days of the niche- true collector's of audio/video deluxe editions are over; but thankfully we still have ebay and a few select outlets to pursue the holy grail of home theater audio.

Ok. Rant over. Sorry to get off-topic a bit. :)

RobD

Second Unit
DVD has been dumbed down for the masses and I think that may be why the DTS LDs sound better. The mixes on them were utterly no compromise, put these mixes on dvd and alot of surround mini system would fail miserably at recreating them. My experience with DTS LD is fairly limited so far but I intend to do some more direct comparisons just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
All the posts that have a go about format bashing forget one thing. It is them who constantly make a point of mentioning LD's superior sound.
When you choose to enter a thread entitled "DTS Laserdiscs," you run the risk of hearing opinions about LD other than your own. Please don't keep ruining informative LD threads by just bashing the format for no reason. OK, we get it, we know you don't like LD. Your point has been made, now please move on and let the thread continue without your insults about the format.

DJ

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
DVD has been dumbed down for the masses and I think that may be why the DTS LDs sound better. The mixes on them were utterly no compromise, put these mixes on dvd and alot of surround mini system would fail miserably at recreating them.
I would agree that in many cases this is true. It also applies to the PCM tracks on LDs, which are often frightening in their range. The warning label on the original widescreen Apocalypse Now LD is needed...I wrecked a speaker with that disc.

(yes, at the napalm strike)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Kind of off topic, but I just came from a local K-mart where I picked up the full bitrate DTS DVD of EdTV for $9.99. I was shocked when I saw it because I've never seen a seperate DTS release outside of Best Buy. If anyone wants this movie, you may want to check your local K-mart.

Adam, I was just checking out your website. Very good and informative.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Personally I think Strange Days DTS has a great soundtrack and a strong video presentation though I haven't watched it in a couple years.
The AC3 version of that movie is pretty hot too.

Hi Declan find any new DTS LDs lately?

i have a copy of Tank Girl which is the only dts stereo disc I have ever seen. Anyone know if that's the only one?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
No, there are several of those Matrix Surround laserdiscs that frequently cause all sort of trouble on Ebay since they aren't real "DTS" discs.

Tank Girl, Speechless, Blown Away, Freddie's New Nightmare off the top of my head and I'm sure there are quite a few others. Blown Away is the tough one since there is also a DTS Digital disc and more than one person has bought that one thinking it's the more valuable DTS 5.1 LD version.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention the 5.1 DTS disc of "Blown Away" sounds like ass.

"The Mask" is an interesting one, it's got the "DTS" stereo PCM track and a Dolby Digital track.

Basically the old stereo "DTS" is compatible with ProLogic.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Declan: it said something about how it had a wide, wide range and that care should be taken not to play it too loud. It also noted that there was a less-expansive mix on the analog tracks. I'll try to remember to look at it tonight and get the exact wording for you.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Have any of you guys tried to get the best of both worlds by synchronizing a DTS LD soundtrack with the video of an anamorphic DVD? Sure you'd have to re-sync after each side change on the LD, but it would be a fun experiment. Me, I don't have any DVDs that I already owned on LD, so I can't try this as of yet.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks