What's new
World Wide Stereo

DTS-HD and True HD (1 Viewer)

judgej

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
Hi,

I'm still learning about these new terms. I have an Onkyo SR605 with a Sony BR player BPS300.
My question is this? What is DTS-HD and True HD? When I put in a BR disc into my player, on my Onkyo screen it says Dolby Digital EX and/or sometimes Neo:6. It has never said DTS HD or True HD! Am I missing something? Are such formats out on the market yet? Does it depend on the type of BR movie? Do I need to make changes to my Onkyo receiver? Will I be able to tell/hear the difference in sound quality?

Please explain!

Very Confused

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Adam_R

Second Unit
The formats you mentioned are new lossless compression formats. Lucky for you, both your player and your receiver support them. :)

Reasons you may not be hearing them:

-Your player is not hooked up through HDMI to the receiver.
-You have not chosen the correct sound format in the movie you are watching.
-The movie you are watching does not have one of those types of soundtracks.
-Something else. :)

You really need to check it out because there's quite a difference in the sound definition between the old compression formats and the new lossless ones.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The BPS300 can't output anything other than PCM via HDMI. It can't output Dolby True HD or DTS HD/MA.

On discs that have PCM, you should see PCM on your receiver. That is if you have it hooked up to your receiver via HDMI and have the proper mode selected.

The SQ difference should be noticable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brian13mt
Recent bookmarks