What's new

Downsizing and need some advice. (1 Viewer)

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

Havent posted in years, but due to illness, HT has sparked my interest again. I recently had my old Yamaha RX-V1000 crap out on me and picked up a RX-V667 to replace it. Not exactly in the same league but finances won't allow for much more.

My current speakers are older Boston CR 8's and CR 65's. Sub woofer was an SVS 25-31 PCI but I sold it to fund other components. It is being replaced with a HSU STF-2.

My question is that the 667 seems kinda underpowered with my current speakers and I was considering getting something more efficient. In addition, the Bostons were nice and bright with the RX-V1000 but seem much warmer with the 667. I like crisp highs and punchy bass and am looking for some bookshelves to fit the bill. So maybe a set of four with 5-6 inch drivers and 3/4-1" tweeters. I'm on a pretty tight budget and would like to spend less than 400 for the 4 matching speakers. So what do you guys like in the mid-range price point these days.

I've looked at energy, polk, etc. but would really like some feedback. They will be wall mounted so integrated keyhole brackets would be nice.

Thanks so much,

John

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There's kind of a whole in the market for $200 a pair bookshelves, especially with 6" woofers. Throw in your crisp highs, punchy bass and need for effecient speakers and I came up dry ) And some in the $250+ range.

Some came close. The SVS SBS-02's are on-sale for $199 a pair (+ sh) and the center is only $149, but are less than effecient at 83 db. Great value though.

The HSU HB-1's are over budget at $258 a pair (+ sh $$)

Maybe the BIC V-62's but you should be able to do better than that.

The Dayton BR-1S would have been a good choice. But you have to assemble it yourself.

Like I said, from what I can see your parameters kind of put you in an empty spot. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Look at the Polk Monitor 30s at newegg.com. They are very nice speakers and a real steal. They also fit all your criteria and come in well under budget. I'm a big fan of that line as a budget option. I have multiple systems throughout the house and three of them use Polk Monitors. My "Prime" system has Thiel speakers, which are known for their crisp highs and I find the Polks more than tolerable for the other systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks