What's new

Dolby True HD Track on Dark Knight? (1 Viewer)

bpickell

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Can someone tell me how to get to the audio setup screen on the Dark Knight BluRay disk. Every time I hit the menu button is says this feature is disabled on this disk, and when I insert the disk it just auto plays the movie with the Dolby Digital track. I for the life of me can not figure out how to get to a menu screen on this BluRay disk.

BTW I have the BD35K blu Ray player w/ the Onkyo 606 receiver.. I have it set to Bitstreem and secondary audio to off. Whenever I insert a disk with DTS HD MA track it shows as DTS HD MA on the receiver so I know I have the player setup properly. But on this movie it just shows as DVD Dolby Digital.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You have to bring up the pop-up menu after the movie starts and choose TrueHD...it defaults to DD.

bpickell

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Where is it on the Pop up menu I didn't see it there either... I only seen one option for audio, but it made no sense to me... I don't remember what it said, but it was something like button sound on or off or something like that.

btw thanks for the fast reply.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Don't remember exactly where it is, but it's under the menu that includes subtitles also. "Languages", maybe? On these BD menus you sometimes have to explore a bit.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

bpickell

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Thanks, I'll look into it.. Didn't think about looking under Languages... I was just a little confused about the whole misleading audio menu.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Yeah I had the same problem. I went to the AUDIO menu, but it didn't have the choices, but it seems the audio format choices are in the LANGUAGES for most all BluRays I have. A bit confusing.
I guess there is a way of moving the onscreen menu from the bottom of the screen. I try to mute the sound until I have everything set up, but the MUTE onscreen indication is usually right over the audio choices! Oh Well...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This is typical for WHV product. The audio options are always under the Languages section. This is the way WHV has done things since the DVD era.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
why not just press the "audio" button on the remote until it is truehd, usually the second track?

I'm sorry for this next comment but, is this really so hard to figure out?
I've always thought the audio options were simple enough to figure out.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

When selecting between two different audio tracks of the same language requires accessing a menu labeled "languages," then yes, I think I understand how that could be difficult to figure out.

That you're used to Warner's poor menu labeling doesn't make the labeling any less poor.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Agreed, but neither should be necessary for doing something as simple as configuring the audio on a DVD or Blu-ray disc.

bpickell

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the help guys.. I would never have thought to look under languages.. I always thought that would be for closed captioning... god forbid that they would put audio options under the pop up menu for Audio.. If it's already there why not???

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

This is correct. You don't need to bring up the menu. Simply go to track two on this disc with the audio button. the on-screen label will show it as the TrueHD track.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Unfortunately for me, I'll need to muddle w/ the menu system going forward since my PS3's Nyko IR-to-USB solution doesn't provide an audio button/command. Ah well, that's better than to frequently hit the stop button by mistake (on my PS3 BT remote) and also not have just 1 remote for everything.

Like I said elsewhere, Warner should just simply find a way to default to the lossless track for those of us w/ the proper gear for that option, especially if they're gonna automatically start the movie immediately. There really should be no excuse for not doing this.

_Man_

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
u guys don't realize this but panny's BD35k doesn't have an audio button!

u can only access it via the pop up menu. FYI =P.

bpickell

Agent
Real Name
Brian
My remote has an Audio button.. I haven't tried to use it yet to see if it actually works or not.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
that button is for secondary audio. which is useless if u want to switch for primary audio.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

What button do you mean?

Every dvd player I've had allows me to press the audio button to cycle through all the audio tracks, including my PS3 blu-ray player.
And I just did it.
Cycled through all the soundtracks on 40 year old virgin.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

On my Sony 350 the audio button cycles through the various audio tracks. On TDK and other similarly mastered discs, the second audio track contains the TrueHD track. So hitting the audio button once switches to TrueHD.

Is it stupid of Warner to master it this way? Yes. But the audio button certainly is not useless if you have one on your remote.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There's an "Audio" button also, just above the slow/search buttons. Is your remote different?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks