Does anybody knows if Erroll Flynn will be ever in DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sergio, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Sergio

Sergio Stunt Coordinator

Sergio Perez-More
    These are the titles I care for,

-The Adventures of Don Juan (1948)
    -The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
    -Against All Flags (1952)
    -Captain Blood (1935)
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936)
    -The Prince and the Pauper(1937)
    -The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex(1939)
    -The Sea Hawk(1940)
    -They Died with Their Boots On (1941)

Thanks in advance.

2. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Most of these are owned by either Warner or MGM, who have VHS versions in print. I think (hope) it's just a matter of time before we see these. The Adventures of Robin Hood reportedly is in the works from Warner.

The odd ducks on your list are The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, which is out of print, and Against All Flags, which also is out of print and was issued by some hole-in-the-wall label.

Erroll Flynn certainly is overdue for DVD. In addition to the ones you listed, I'd love to see Objective Burma, The Dawn Patrol, Gentleman Jim and a raft of others.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    KIM, THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER and ROBIN HOOD are coming to DVD this year.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Check this list for Kim for sure (check cover art down a bit in that thread) and Prince & Pauper (1937)...there's your Erroll version! Both on 8/26.

Adv/Robin Hood should be in Sept/Oct as well. And then we should see him briefly in "Rabbit Hood" on the upcoming Looney Tunes discs! [​IMG]

5. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

OBJECTIVE BURMA is coming next month, and Warner has just announced Flynn's THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE for July.

6. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I certainly hope so.
    ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
    and PRINCE AND THE PAUPER are two
    of my must haves.[​IMG]

7. David Lambert

Yike! How could I miss listing the July 1 release of Master of Ballantrae!... [​IMG]

Don't forget also that at least one Erroll film has made it out on DVD:
    [​IMG]

But it was released 3½ years ago from "The Roan Group"...I wonder if it can even be found any more.

According to the IMDB, he was also an uncredited extra in The Lady From Shanghai, which is out on DVD:
    [​IMG]

8. David Lambert

5/13, by the way:

[​IMG]

9. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

I'll believe The Adventures of Robin Hood when I see it as Warner Brothers seem obsessed with reissuing the inferior Kevin Costner version. My worry is that Warners will stop at Robin Hood as it is the most famous Flynn title and ignore gems like Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk and They Died With Their Boots On. The studio is notoriously slow with its classics releases. As a public domain title there are numerous versions of Santa Fe Trail available,mine has an excellent print on a Marengo Films Double Feature. The other film Abilene Town with Randolph Scott has a pretty awful print.

Classic Films On DVD

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

While I use to criticize Warner for their lack of classic releases, I don't think such criticism is warranted today. Furthermore, I believe your worries are unfounded about them not releasing The Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, They Died With Their Boots On and more classic Flynn films like Dodge City and Virginia City. Warner might be slow in a lot of our minds, but the quality of their releases are top notch.

By the way, we have a scheduled chat with Warner on April 22nd, hopefully, many of us will ask them about their future classic releases not announced since they're one of the few studios not heavyly into television product.

Crawdaddy

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

12. danak

danak Second Unit

What about The Charge of the Light Brigade from 1936? It's out there, though it's a bare-bones release.

Dana

13. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

BTW:
    Cuban Story is out on DVD. Errol bragging about his friendship with Castro.

Definitely want Robin, Seahwks, and Capt. Blood.

Peter

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Danak, the Charge Of The Light Brigade DVD is not the 1936 Flynn version but the 1968 Tony Richardson remake with David Hemmings and Vanessa Redgrave.

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm on these Flynn releases like white on rice.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Bouncing around through different hands generally causes the elements not to be cared for properly.

Crawdaddy

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

18. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Patrick's information is somewhat incorrect and misleading.

The pre-'49 Warner library was sold in 1956 (not 1957) to a company called PRM, Inc. PRM acquired AAP that year. Toward the end of 1957 (not 1967) United Artists began distributing the library when a subsidiary of their company purchased AAP. The division was then called United Artists Associated. MGM purchased UA in 1981 (they did not merge). The Warner, RKO & Popeye films that UA owned were transferred to MGM when Ted Turner bought MGM/UA and sold the UA part back to Kirk Kerkorian as part of the deal. Ted Turner did not buy the AAP library, as the rest of it (such as it is, including some Monogram films) still belong
    to UA.

The pre-'49 library did "come home" to WB when Turner merged with Time Warner in '96.

However, none of this has anything to do with the film elements. They were never "bounced around". Once WB sold the library, everything stayed in one place, and in the late '60s, UA deposited all the original nitrate negatives with the Library of Congress. Those negatives are still there, having been there for almost thirty-five years.

Therefore, suggesting that the corporate machinations that I described earlier have anything to do with those films not being treated properly is erroneous.

It should be noted however that (for the most part) it has only been since WB regained control of its old library that the actual nitrate materials from LOC have been pulled for restoration. The results from these efforts can be seen on WB's superb DVD releases of titles like the recent MILDRED PIERCE or 42nd STREET and NOW, VOYAGER.

I'd assume the upcoming Flynn films like OBJECTIVE, BURMA and THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER will benefit from this same kind of first-class care & effort.

19. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

great news about those Flynn classics and I am looking forward to all of them

[​IMG]

20. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

anyone picked up "Objective Burma" yet? how is it?

-thanks