What's new

Do you ever buy the DVD's for the extras? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

Do you ever buy the TV DVD's primarily for the extras, (because you've already taped the episodes and watched them to death)?
I regret that I find that the case with myself a few times

James Smith

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I would have to say no. I have always bought because I wanted the series in my library (never specifically for the extras).

However, there are many sets in which I have only watched the extras because I knew the series so well (such as the multiple times I've bought Star Trek). Was that what you meant?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Generally speaking, no, but I do appreciate it when companies releasing vintage shows from the 1950s and 1960s make some attempt to bring back cast members, producers, directors and writers for either commentaries and/or interviews. For example, it was great seeing Mike Connors and Joseph Campanella reminisce on season 1 of "Mannix." I still would have purchased "Mannix" if the two actors had not appeared in the extra interview feature, but their inclusion really made the release that much better for me.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
For the extras? Generally, no. That rule only applies to double-dips for Disney movies, which I'm a huge fan of and I'm trying to get as much as I can from the old Disney anthology series.

As for regular shows, no, they are generally just icing on the cake, making what we have all the sweeter.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
As for myself, it's this way everytime. A movie is 14.99. The exact same movie is seated next to it with two discs. The second disc of course being extras. This (same) movie is 19.99. I say the same becasue the running time is exact. Some major movies come with some extras anyway....BUT...for those that don't. I pocket the 5.00 dollars and use it to sit and have a coffee and sweetrole with a good friend. Movie extras can be cool, but real people especially interesting ones are always cooler.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
No, very rarely. I might do it for TOS on occasion, but that's about it.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Very rarely do I buy for the extras. I buy TV series dvds to relive some of my favorite tv series. The extras are just icing on the cake, as someone else has said.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
ABSOLUTELY the extras count for a lot!

More often than not, I’ll go for them early on, because I’ve already seen most if not all of the series I’m buying.

Even on recently released animated sets, like Max Fleischer Superman, and Freakazoid Season Two, I’ve already watched the extras before the regular programming… because I know the programming so well, and the extras may tell me something I don’t know, or offer a writer’s, producer’s or actor’s perspective on things!

Even skimpy little extras as FOX has done recently for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea count for something – and I always feel cheated by CBS Paramount when they include no extras on series that REALLY deserve them like Wild Wild West or Perry Mason!

And the extras that FOX adds to The Simpsons and Family Guy, and that Disney adds to Lost, and Universal adds to Heroes make for a great experience in and of itself!

I, myself, have appeared in a DVD extra for Walt Disney Treasures Chronological Donald Volume Four! Personal bias aside, it was a very informative feature on the Donald Duck of the comic books (I’ve been a freelance scripter for those comic books!), and it opens up a new perspective on Donald for those only familiar with his animated shorts.

There’s LOTS of worthwhile stuff in DVD extras that make the experience all the sweeter.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

Yes, but why concentrate them there? You could say they were TOO concentrated!

We waited through several sets before this was released -- and there most likely will be none going forward.

Spread 'em out over time. It's the better way to go.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Bob says it spot on for me as well. I've tried to recall buying any TV/DVD set with Extras primarily in mind and don't remember that being the deciding factor in any of my sets. That said, as a big "Mannix" fan, I echo Bob's point about the interviews. Another "grail" show for me, "Combat"!, has some good Extras in that set.

OT here but since Combat! has been mentioned a couple of times in the "Better Then/Now" thread, anyone that's interested in getting the complete series set, the Extras are identical to the ones that were contained in the individual season sets.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No, never. I only watch extras if they are outtakes or deleted scenes but don't care if they are there or not. I purchase for the program/movie. Now if the same title is available for the *exact same price*, 1 *with* extras and 1 *without* extras, I'll purchase the one *with*... but I've yet to watch any of the extras on those rare purchases.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
[
However, there are many sets in which I have only watched the extras because I knew the series so well (such as the multiple times I've bought Star Trek). Was that what you meant?[/quote]

Yes. I'm afraid it's something like that. For example, I saw Iron Man twice at the theaters and thought I knew it pretty well, so I only got around to looking at the extras.

And I'm already familiar with some (not all) of the tv episodes, so I go right to the extras.

James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
As a certain Characture from a famous 1960s Science-Fiction Series would say, Buying a DVD just for the "Extras" would be quite Illogical. However, sometimes there will be an unexpected treat or two in the set you are purchasing. My favorate was the inclusion of the Made-for-TV Movie Time Travelers in one of the Time Tunnel DVD Sets.:emoji_thumbsup:

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
I am one of those people who love having bonus features added to the TV-DVD sets. In fact I will often hold off purchasing a favourite TV show if I think it may be re-released with bonus materials. For example I held off buying the French "Pretender" sets in the hope that the R1 release would contain some bonus material. This was even though Pretender is one of my all time favourite shows.

Usually if I love a show I will buy it regardless of whether it has extras or not. If a show is one that I have never seen, but seems promising, then often the deciding factor to purchase it will be if it has bonus features.

Extensive Bonus features will often also convince be to buy a show I "like" rather than "love". I have often bought shows that I know I will only see once or maybe twice because they have lots of bonus features.

If a show does not have any bonus features then I will only buy it if

a) it is a show I "love"
or
b) it is a show I "like" AND it is very cheap (e.g. I Dream of Jeannie & Bewitched)
or
c) it is a show I think I will "like" (i.e. blind buy scenario) AND it is very cheap.

I think deep down it has something to do with feeling that I am getting my money's worth
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Helen

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I used to care about extras, but now I ignore them almost entirely. I listened to a few Stargate commentaries recently, but I didn't watch any of the featurettes (if there even were any).

That said, I did buy a DVD today just for the extras. Off-topic, since it's a movie, but it was October Sky. I had it recorded to my DVR and figured that was enough until I discovered that the special edition featured video of the real rocket boys and a commentary by Homer Hickam. That was enough of a selling point, and I don't mind owning the movie to boot. Also, it was only $7.99!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I don't recall ever buying a DVD set just because of the extras. However, DVD sets of shows like The Twilight Zone and Dick Van Dyke, both of which had a great set of extras, made me feel that there was a justification for the higher price on these sets.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I've never once bought a dvd set specifically for the extras. That's always secondary to the episodes themselves (if we are talking TV shows). Like Bob Hug and Jeff Willis have said, I do appreciate certain sets that I think have nice extras, but even in those cases I'm still primarily interested in the episodes themselves. Bare-bones releases have never bothered me in the least because I don't care if extras are added or not.

Gary "just give me the episodes, in decent A/V quality, and I'm happy" O.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
A pal bought a copy of Father Knows Best so he could see the Tyrantland special after I told him about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks