What's new

Disney’s Daughter: Fantasia ‘Tops’ Among Disney Animated Classics (1 Viewer)

BillyGil

Insider
Real Name
Billy Gil
SAN FRANCISCO — Everyone has their personal favorite Disney movie, and you can make an argument for most of the classics as being “the best.”

But the opinion of Diane Disney-Miller, the eldest daughter of Walt Disney, probably carries a bit more weight than others, and when asked where the 1940 Fantasia ranks, she didn’t hesitate: “It’s got to be tops.”

The Nov. 30 four-disc Blu-ray Disc combo pack ($45.99) includes both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 on DVD ...

Read more at http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/disneys-daughter-fantasia-tops-among-disney-animated-classics-20927

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Anybody else laugh when they read this line?

Originally Posted by BillyGil

The Nov. 30 four-disc Blu-ray Disc combo pack ($45.99) includes both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 on DVD ...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is still just her opinion even if she does have Disney in her name. Frankly, her naming "Fantasia" as the number one classic Disney animation just seems like the typical knee-jerk reaction that occurs whenever that question is asked. I'd agree that, of all the classics, "Fantasia" was the pinnacle purely in terms of animation technique, but it is not entirely satisfying as a whole when it comes to combining animation, music and storytelling. I would consider "Pinocchio" to be number one because it masterfully combines animation technique, music and STORY into a seamless whole; although, personally, my favourite Disney film still continues to be "Bambi". I would hazard to guess that some of the techniques used in "Fantasia" were first experimented with in "Pinocchio". The water effects and cel-shading on Monstro the Whale are still amazing when it comes to 2D handdrawn animation; although, the rain shower sequence in "Bambi" comes a very close second in terms of being a study in the mechanics of water flow. The entire "Little April Showers" sequence in "Bambi" is a masterful combination of observation, animation, music and visual storytelling and, for me, still beats out anything that was done in "Fantasia".

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I've been watching the Disney classics for over 45 years (yes, they were classics even in the 1960s) and Pinocchio still strikes me as the most sophisticated animated film, and the finest animated film as cinema, ever made. Which takes nothing away from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Bambi, Dumbo, and Fantasia, not to mention the Silly Symphonies which Walt used to try out and perfect approaches to the features. Fantasia is noteworthy, however, for being an experimental feature film. Experimental in marrying sound to image and in terms of visual storytelling. The classic animated features are more remarkable and impressive in the digital era than when they were new.

I welcome the Blu-ray of Fantasia.

Can't wait to see what they've done with it.

I may be the only one, but I consider Fantasia to be a magical place. And in each part of this world exists part of the "stories" being told in the film.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Anybody else laugh when they read this line?
"The Nov. 30 four-disc Blu-ray Disc combo pack ($45.99) includes both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 on DVD ..."

Why? The blu-ray comes with both films on DVD, along with the blu-rays.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'll be the terrible person, if it were "all time greatest" I would probably go:

Toy Story 2

Up

Pinochio

But if I'm only looking at the Disney Disney era, it'd be:

Pinochio

Jungle Book

Bambi

But an honorable mention to some of the not-as-well thought of but absolutely lovable: Sword in the Stone,

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

I may be the only one, but I consider Fantasia to be a magical place. And in each part of this world exists part of the "stories" being told in the film.

Yeah. Hold that thought.

Hey, the film is art. And that's how I interpret it...and if it helps me to enjoy the film more to get lost in a "world" as opposed to just a series of musical interpretations, there is no harm in that!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I agree. The film is art. Moreover, Fantasia is a significant work of art. It's also entertaining. I don't see how it can be faulted or criticized.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Every time I've seen Fantasia in the theater, I've fallen asleep at least once. There is great stuff in the movie... And there is also bad stuff like Pastoral. It's certainly the most elaborate Disney movie, but I think Dumbo is the most perfect. It's concise, not over animated, and a lot of fun.

If the best parts of Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos were combined with Blame it on the Samba, that would be the best Disney movie. There's one really good movie buried in amongst the crappy flying donkeys and chilly penguins.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Some would argue that it's too long and boring. I've always been a fan though, so I guess I'll pick up this Blu to add to all the other versions I have.

Originally Posted by Richard--W

I agree. The film is art. Moreover, Fantasia is a significant work of art. It's also entertaining. I don't see how it can be faulted or criticized.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by bigshot

Every time I've seen Fantasia in the theater, I've fallen asleep at least once. There is great stuff in the movie... And there is also bad stuff like Pastoral. It's certainly the most elaborate Disney movie, but I think Dumbo is the most perfect. It's concise, not over animated, and a lot of fun.

If the best parts of Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos were combined with Blame it on the Samba, that would be the best Disney movie. There's one really good movie buried in amongst the crappy flying donkeys and chilly penguins.

A friend of mine always falls asleep at Fantasia. His theory is because there are so many vignettes filled with images of someone falling asleep: The Pastoral Symphony, The Dance of the Hours, Sorceror's Apprentice, etc.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I do the same thing Steve. I see Pixar as something separate from the Disney legacy. Different sensibilities, etc. So yeah, you're a snooty McSnooty pants! !

[/quote]

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The ending of Sleeping Beauty is great, but it drags in the middle. The sequence in the forest is much too long. Pinocchio doesn't have a single wasted moment. Modern animated features aren't at all the same. They are more focused on plot and dialogue than action. And by action I don't mean extended sequences of characters running and jumping and yelling and falling. Modern films have more than enough of that.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think the modern Disney suffered too much from trying to be Broadway musicals where songs interupted the action, instead of serving the story. Then they tanked out with trying to compete with Dreamworks with too many pop culture references. They didn't follow Pixar and classic Disney, which was timeless story telling where the story came first and everything in the movie served it.

With the exception being CARS, that was just a terrible miss-step by Pixar.
Originally Posted by bigshot

The ending of Sleeping Beauty is great, but it drags in the middle. The sequence in the forest is much too long. Pinocchio doesn't have a single wasted moment. Modern animated features aren't at all the same. They are more focused on plot and dialogue than action. And by action I don't mean extended sequences of characters running and jumping and yelling and falling. Modern films have more than enough of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks