What's new

Denon AVR-3805 and Outlaw 200 M-Blocks ? (1 Viewer)

Shaun Gallagher

Auditioning
I currently have a Denon AVR-3805 driving 5 Speakers (see Sig), would there be any value in adding some Outlaw Model 200 M-Block Amplifiers ? and if so how many should I add ? I'm not sure if 2 or 3 (Mains & Center) would be better so I'm curious about those of you with a similar set-up and what if any improvements you may have noted.
I use my System currently 70% Music/30% HT and do on occasion like it loud. I can't really say I've ever heard then Denon strain however I'm still screwing around with the many settings. My room is a concrete poured basement, Tile on the Floor with Paneling on the walls, 20' Long x 12 Wide Approximately so accoustically it's not great. Makes it a little difficult sometimes to know how much the rooms accoustic's are affecting my sound.

*Also posted @ Audioholics

Denon AVR-3805
2 x Paradigm Monitor 11's Mains
2 x Paradigm Monitor 7's Surrounds
1 x Paradigm CC-370 Center
1 x Paradigm PW-2100 Sub

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a fan of different power levels on different channels. I'd do them all if possible.

I just always find the volume does not raise and lower properly on such systems, when used for DD 5.1 and DTS5.1/6.1....

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
If I am not mistaken, you will pay a lot of fees to import the Outlaw amps. If you bought 5 of them as John suggests, you are looking at about $2,000.

Since you have heard no evidence of a shortage of power (especially since you are only using 5 of the Denon's 7 channels), there is no way it is worth it to buy 5 amps for your system.

You would be surprised how loud an average 1.0 watt level will sound. You have sufficient headroom for HT use, and more than ample for music. You are 70% music, and only listen loud to HT once in a while, so your needs are even lower. Unless you have money to burn, you should be working on room treatments and proper EQ. Changing amps will give you a minimal difference with your speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 11s need plenty of current. Are you running them set to small or large? IMO they will benefit only in that when you do have some large peaks; you won't have any issues with having enough current, especially if they are set to large, but the probably won't sound much different.

IMO, JohnS has a good point, but it shouldn't be too big of a factor once everything is calibrated. My mains run at 180w from Marantz MA500s and my center is running off the receiver at 120w (at 8Ohms, not sure what its 4 Ohm rating would be because the receiver is rated to 6Ohms) and I don't notice any difference in levels as I increase/decrease the levels. Worst case, I'd say 3 for the front, but the 370 is pretty easy to drive.

Yep. I picked up a used amp last week that has db/watt meters, and it registers from just .5w to 1w peaks at average listening levels.

Import/duties may make it not as cost effective though.

*AH also.

Shaun Gallagher

Auditioning
Some good points Arthur, I don't really have money to burn and just sold my Motorcycle so I was trying to get "everything" i may need as I won't have another chance for a while. Your right about the Denon as it seems to have ample power but the more I read I'm concerned as to if I have enough. I suspect the Denons capable of about 105-109 Watts per Channel with 5 Channels being driven simutaneously. When I'm "cranking the tunes" i run around -15 to -5dB on the Ol' Volume Knob depending on Source levels but without meters I have no idea on the Watts used and availiable head room. At the end of the day you may be right as I really have no complaints with my system but do need to make changes in the listening room/area.

Thanks again JGarcia, your points are well taken both here and at AH, I appreciate the effort :)

And John S, I see your point, I was anticipating "Tweaking" the Channel EQ/dB Settings to accomodate.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Shaun

Let me just add this. The difference in sound between my 425 watt per channel amp and my 92 watt per channel receiver is very minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks