What's new

Denon AVR-1612 and Klipsch Reference Series RF-62 (1 Viewer)

duyhung0185

Auditioning
Real Name
Duy Hung
Hi all,
I'm new here and i'm still a beginner in term of audio equipment.
I bought a Denon Receiver a few months ago, model AVR-1612.
I'm looking to change my front speaker from the Jamo E6 to the Klipsch RF-62, but i'm hearing different opinion from different seller.
The one from Klipsch speaker dealer said that my Receiver may not have enough power to drive the Klipsch RF-62, and while its ok to connect the speaker it may not sound as good. While another one from other shop said that it's ok to match them.
The Denon AVR-1612 is rated 75W (8 Ohm) / 120 W (6 Ohm) x 5 channel.
Can my receiver play fine with these speakers ? My room's small, and i live in crowded urban area, so i wont be cranking up the volume any time soon.
Thanks you all for your help !
Best Regards,

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
(Third try, I keep losing this post all of my own doing.)
Klipsch has those speakers spec'd at 8 ohms with a sensitivity of 97. The Denon AVR-1612 will be able to drive them with absolutely no problem (unless Klipsch is outright fudging their specs.) I can't understand why the Klipsch dealer thought you'd have a problem; I'd love to know what he thought was required. (If he also sells amps, then I probablyI have my answer.)
Whether you need those large towers in a small room is another story. I'd most likely go with good bookshelves and a better than required sub.
Anther issue for you is matching the center channel. Typically you want the front 3 speakers to be matched. If you are currently running unmatched fronts and don't mind, then you'll probably be fine. Otherwise you might notice an diconcerting difference as sound pans across your front stage, You may just want to put a matching Klipssh center on the shopping queue as a next purchase.

duyhung0185

Auditioning
Real Name
Duy Hung
yeah well,
the dealer sells both klipsch speakers and denon receivers, and hes telling me to go with higher receiver like the AVR-1912 at least ... haha
i already am using bookshelves speakers, the Jamo E6 series from years ago. The front and rear are E6 and S6, but the front is a Polk Audio i got in a deal, and sub is Klipsch SW 350.
They sound fine, but im still not quite satisfied, the high is weak, and theres nothing rumbling in battle scenes...:(
I own a pair of Shure in-ear headphones, and i love the sound. The high is clear and bass is good, so i'm looking for Klipsch speakers to reproduce that.
Do you have any suggestion where i should look ?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
the dealer sells both klipsch speakers and denon receivers, and hes telling me to go with higher receiver like the AVR-1912 at least ..
The 1912s are 90w, 15w more, which is squat. I wouldn't buy anything from that guy.
When it comes to speakers there's no right/wrong, it's just what you like. Since you askd I get to offer my preference, which is:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22.html (I have these)
or
http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/bookshelf/paradigm-reference/studio-series/studio-20
with
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html
or
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html (I have this)
But if you like the Klipsch sound, I'd still go with somehting like: http://www.klipsch.com/bookshelf-speakers?o=rprice and one of those subs.
For the most part towers don't add that much to the sound, especially at the lower price points (lower for audio products, they're still expensive). They're mostly a visual statement. A tower might add a little low end becuase of the enclosure, but nothing that a sub wouldn't accomplish even better. If you aren't going to use a sub, then it makes a little more sense. Plus, the additional cost of a tower is mostly due to the cost of the enclosure; it doesn't go toward better acoustics. So if you like the look of the tower, go for it; but if it just a better sound you're looking for you have other options.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't go by the sound of your headphones to compare with the speakers. I have Klipsch headphones which I love. However, I cannot listen to Klipsch speakers without getting a headache. Make sure you listen to the actual speakers before you buy.

duyhung0185

Auditioning
Real Name
Duy Hung
Ouch now you're confusing me lol
The tower speaker should have 1 or more sub comparing to the bookshelves speakers, and more room for mid and tweeter, so i think the sound should be more different.
I really appreciate your suggestion Anderson, but unfortunately i live in Vietnam, and Axiom and Hsuresearch basically are non-existent here. Google Axiom and nothing came up :(
lol few years ago (5 years perhaps ? or more) when i went out and tried to find Klipsch speaker and almost nobody know the brand, where i read Klipsch were receiving so much reputation for being the brand used in theaters and all. Back then there were only Bose got suggested the most, then Jamo.

duyhung0185

Auditioning
Real Name
Duy Hung
David Willow said:
Don't go by the sound of your headphones to compare with the speakers.  I have Klipsch headphones which I love.  However, I cannot listen to Klipsch speakers without getting a headache.  Make sure you listen to the actual speakers before you buy.
uh i know. I read that Klipsch speaker has good review for clear high sound, so i want to go out and try to hear them.
I went to the dealer the other day, and he tried to sell me a pair of Klipsch F2 (his overstock i think, it was on sale), and the sound is not really good enough... I know comparing speakers and in-ear headphones sounds silly, but the speakers are significant more expensive, at least 6 times more than the headphones (it was $100 when i bought it), so the sound should be reproduce at least equal, if not better don't you think ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks